Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modal Tunes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Jam Central Station
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Modal Tunes? Reply with quote

I have been thinking about improvising over a few modal tunes and would really appreciate hearing from forum members what their experiences have been, pitfalls and triumphs. Also which tunes are the best to go after initially?

Thanks,
Don MacArthur
Dean

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is modal,but I improvise over blues.Soon I will have the ability to post some of my noodling for your listening pleasure or displeasure as I have bought pro tools with 4 channels and all the soft ware.So hopefully I will be able to explane myself in sound.One of my pit falls is not having the ability to record my stuff.So in the near future you mite want to invest in some ear plugs for this site.Don't want to harm anyones tone senitive hearing.
Dean

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ,forgot ,I do not use this in place of practice.It is just for none thinking fun.It relaxes me and it is fun.
thaydon

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Modal tunes Reply with quote

A recent LBM covered Impressions by Coltrane. For several years I found jamming on modal tunes to be difficult because of the lack of material and a lack of a conceptual understanding to get my ideas going. But when our coach (Mark) emphasized inside/outside lines and recently, the lines using diminished material, or C major material (over D minor modal tunes), I can play over modal tunes for a few chorus. This is coming from someone who is beginning to get a handle on the concepts talked about in LBM and here in the forum. I would be interested in "hearing" or getting feedback from more advanced players, like Dave I.

Todd
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Modal Tunes ? Reply with quote

Don MacArthur wrote:
I have been thinking about improvising over a few modal tunes and would really appreciate hearing from forum members what their experiences have been, pitfalls and triumphs. Also which tunes are the best to go after initially?

Don,

Thanks for starting this thread on one of my favorite subjects. For the sake of anyone reading these posts who might not be clear on the definition, a modal tune is one that features a static harmony (i.e. minimal changes), and usually in a minor key.

I'll share more as the discussion develops, but regarding modal tunes at the JCS page, there are several:

1) "So What" by Miles Davis. This is the famous 32-bar AABA medium swing tune that was featured on the epic "Kind of Blue" release, often given credit for launching the Modal Era for jazz leading into the sixties.

2) "Impressions" by John Coltrane. Basically a much faster version of the Miles classic with it's own melody. Same key (Dm) and structure.

3) "Milestones" by Miles (of course Wink ).

4) "Cantaloupe Island" by Herbie Hancock. Latin feel over three chords. One of my all-time favorites.

5) "Little Sunflower" by Freddie Hubbard. Another great one with a latin feel.

6) "Maiden Voyage" by Herbie. Famous composition with a modern attitude (for its time) and based on suspended chords.

7) "First Light" by Freddie Hubbard.

Improvising on modal tunes like the ones above is a lot of fun, although sometimes intimidating to jazzers who are used to playing over changes. Ironically, the harmony in a sense is similar to grooves and vamps that are more associated with latin-rock and funk, so the soloing options run from blues to jazz to outside. All for now...

- Mark
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't GB play a version of "So What" where he had the backup band play a different style for each of the sections?

Don MacArthur
thaydon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Modal tunes Reply with quote

I don't know about GB, but just to add Grant Green does a version where he plays the head on guitar...

Todd
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: So What & GB Reply with quote

Don MacArthur wrote:
Didn't GB play a version of "So What" where he had the backup band play a different style for each of the sections?

Don,

If I recall, that sounds like the version he did on "Beyond the Blue Horizon" (CTI). They alternated between funky, fast swing, and medium swing rhythms.

One of the things that drew me to players like George and Grant Green many years ago was their penchant for playing modal tunes and related vamps. Where other guitarists might resort to scale-based approaches, they relied heavily on their affinity for and command of the blues, and the dynamic percussive elements (repetitions, double-stops, etc) associated with that genre.

Related to this topic, I recently based a lesson for my advanced students on the very first modal jazz original that I composed way back in the mid 80's, but re-recorded just last year. Spontaneous Combustion is the title, and I assume that some have heard it from the solo that appears in the new MGS series. I also recently posted a tiny clip from the solo in another thread, as an example of minor superimposition. All for now...

- Mark
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Nice sound in Spontaneous Combustion man!!! A lot of those lines sound very familiar from previous lessons.

Don MacArthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Jam Central Station All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: