Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What About Satchmo ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woland99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: What About Satchmo ? Reply with quote

Every now and then I get on Armstrong kick - listen to him for few days
non-stop. But I never tried to sit down and lift any of his solos - that may
be a good project - learn better phrasing and playing with authority.
Anybody tried transcribing Louis?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of a sudden I feel derelict in my transcribing duty. I have notated a number of trumpet solos, but I only have Satchmo on LP's. It will be interesting to see what people have to say about this.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Trumpet On Guitar Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
All of a sudden I feel derelict in my transcribing duty. I have notated a number of trumpet solos, but I only have Satchmo on LP's. It will be interesting to see what people have to say about this.

Larry, JT,

Do either of you have the "Ella & Louis" recording (Verve) with the Oscar Peterson Quartet backing them up? It was originally a double LP featuring classics by Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, Cole Porter, and George Gershwin. One of my favorite jazz recordings of all time, and plenty of trumpet and scat vocal solos.

Most of my trumpet transcribing has involved Miles and Clark Terry. I love transcribing trumpet, sax, and piano solos, then translating the ideas to guitar while attempting to match the nuances of those instruments.

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the Ella and Louis recording many times, but I never knew that was OP backing them! I need to get a copy and slow it down.
nylenny

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Dexter Gordon? I'm transcribing one of his solos right now (Take the A Train). What a great feel. There is so much to learn from this guy. I just picked up his greatest hits recording, and he is awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: