Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amp settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Amp settings Reply with quote

I was looking to see if any, or all of you would share your amp settings.I am interested in seeing if there is a pattern,or if they are all over the place.I have a 2 x 12 custom tube amp as my main amp.
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Henriksen Jazz Amp-10 which has no reverb and equalizer type frequency controls. I set all knobs zero (mid) and my guitars sound perfect. I also have a Fender Jazz King with reverb and similar controls to the Jazz Amp-10. Again all controls are at mid-way/zero except reverb which I add just a touch of.

Don
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don,hope more of you join in.I think it will be interesting to see the approches to getting the tone.I set my amp with a litle less gain ,little more drive,touch of reverb,treble..middle...bass a little past haf way,and master a little pass half way.I still tweek it from time to time.I have a push pull master for a cleaner sound,and of course I can switch off reverb.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you have that custom amp. Regardless, settings are entirely dependent on YOU, the AMP, and the ENVIRONMENT.

Generally speaking, for a jazz sound you want to avoid distortion. So, keeping preamp volume low and use main volume for dynamics control is often best. After that so much depends on the guitar and the cabs. 2x12 can be boomy, even the difference between a sealed cab and an open back can be huge in bottom end. I usually use a 1x12 solid state combo for jazz and keep its settings fairly flat. Treble turned downward ever so slightly, with bass and mid pretty close to straight up. Oh, the amp I'm using scarily enough is a Line 6 Spider 30w. Great little amp and I never suspected I would endup using it for jazz.

Dunno if it helps but there ya go. Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Gorecki.I know there are a lot of things that affect sound ,tone,etc. I guess ,I am just looking for where you practice,what are your normal settings.Don't want to get to technical,just general settings.Also want to add ,it's good to hear from you ,it's been awhile.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Line6 XL from my rock days that emulates a JC-120 very nicely. The settings I use for a fat sound are little or no drive, a tad of reverb, bass and mid about halfway and less treble.
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry, keep them coming ,it's kinda cool hearing about all the different rigs ,too.
jlc

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of different amps, guitars etc. so tweaking is essential, however,

basically:

Volume 2 or 3
Base tone 5-7
mid tone 1 or none
treble 2 - 3
Bright switch either way normally off
Reverb 2 or 3 or off

mark iv, super reverb, twin reverb, gibson goldtone head, budda 18 watt, hot rod deville 4 X 10, AX2, blues junior, two crate 160's solid state i have been using these two for the last few days, and i hadn't used them in about 5 years, suprising how good they sound to me, from 1980. and my gibson 6A, the definitive jazz tone.

peace
Dean

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlc wrote:
Lots of different amps, guitars etc. so tweaking is essential, however,

basically:

Volume 2 or 3
Base tone 5-7
mid tone 1 or none
treble 2 - 3
Bright switch either way normally off
Reverb 2 or 3 or off

mark iv, super reverb, twin reverb, gibson goldtone head, budda 18 watt, hot rod deville 4 X 10, AX2, blues junior, two crate 160's solid state i have been using these two for the last few days, and i hadn't used them in about 5 years, suprising how good they sound to me, from 1980. and my gibson 6A, the definitive jazz tone.

peace

Nice collection ,you must be single or really lucky.haha Just like chips ,you can't just have one,and sometimes you eat the whole bag.Thanks for the input.
jlc

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just old, i bought the gibson 6A in '57, i think it was $ 40.00, but it really has the most beautiful jazz tone, albeit lower volume, small club, no reverb and this amp never needed reverb, just volume and tone and a separate input and volume control for a microphone. Amazing and even with all the other amps this is the one i use to record with.

peace
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Amp Talk Reply with quote

jlc wrote:
No, just old, i bought the gibson 6A in '57, i think it was $ 40.00, but it really has the most beautiful jazz tone, albeit lower volume, small club, no reverb and this amp never needed reverb, just volume and tone and a separate input and volume control for a microphone. Amazing and even with all the other amps this is the one i use to record with.

Interesting. My good friend (and certifiable "gear junkie") Wolf Marshall tells me that Gibsons were the main amp of choice for jazzers like Kenny Burrell and many others during the 50's.

Well, I thought I might as well chime in here and share at least a couple of thoughts on the subject, since I do get asked about my sound/tone frequently. I even had a few guys at the recent NAMM show introduce themselves to me, and among other things they asked me specifically about my tone and setup based on what they've heard in my recordings.

My first amps (late 60's) were primarily Fenders, because KB was my main jazz guy back then and he played the same guitar (Gibson Super 400) through a Twin Reverb. I've had a number of Fender amps, including a Twin and a Deluxe, but the only one left is a 60's Princeton Reverb.

Like many jazz guitarists, I moved to solid-state amps shortly after, which included a couple of early Polytone Mini Brutes and a pair of those first generation Roland Cubes (orange tolex). Guitar Center was practically giving the Cubes away back then, but you could set everything flat and get a pretty nice jazz sound out of almost any guitar. I still have those Rolands and bought a Blues Cube 60 about 7-8 years ago. All of these amps have 12-inch speakers and decent reverb.

A couple of years ago I met Rick Jones (Clarus) and Rich Raezer, the latter right before his untimely death, and I finally ended up going the Acoustic Image/Raezer's Edge route. The amp is a Focus 2R and the cabinet a Stealth with the 12-inch speaker. VERY nice. Finally, while at the show I met the guys from JazzKat after hanging out and jamming with Marshall and Henry Johnson at Wolf's place in San Diego. I was so impressed with the sound I was getting out of a little JK-8 that I bought one. So that's my latest kid/amp on the block and I really like it.

However, as pleased as I am with the amps I have, all of my recordings are done direct (no amp), with a little software reverb, and almost all of my practicing is done unamplified, usually on a first-year Ibanez GB10 archtop. Henry does the same thing, and I think there's something to be said for having your instrument, your ear, your touch, and (of course) your ideas being the key components in getting the best sound possible, regardless of peripheral gear. At least that's what works best for me. "If it ain't broke..." Wink

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,this thread is turning out to be quite interesting.It is leaning to what I expected,"It's in the hands".The rigs are cool,but they just produce sound...the rest is on the player.Also if you can not do it on a acoustic ,you got work to do. Keep them coming
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other end of the spectrum, for Red House I use maximum drive, reverb, and delay. Sometimes you have to put the pedal to the metal.
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
On the other end of the spectrum, for Red House I use maximum drive, reverb, and delay. Sometimes you have to put the pedal to the metal.

LOL, I like to feel my guitar vibrate from time to time....makes me one with the guitar.You can feel the energy from the floor up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: