Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Bass Buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Best Bass Buy Reply with quote

I'm thinking of taking Mark's bass course, so I'm looking for a reasonably priced bass. A friend who has played bass professionally for years told me to stay away from Fender Jazz because their necks tend to bow and develop dead spots on the G string at Bb and C. He recommended the Dean Edge 1 or a Peavey. Anyone have a bad experience with Fender Jazz?
thaydon

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Best bass buy Reply with quote

Larry_DC;

I signed up for Mark's bass course and bought a cheap squire/fender bronco short scale bass for 125.00. It is perfect for me now just starting out. Sound is good amplified and it is easy to play because the short scale makes a perfect transition between guitar and bass.

Todd
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting out with a short scale bass sounds like a good idea. That would be much easier on the old hands.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re Short Scale Bass? Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Starting out with a short scale bass sounds like a good idea. That would be much easier on the old hands.

Larry,

While there's nothing inherently wrong with doing as Todd did in picking up a short scale bass, it's really more of a neck width than a scale length issue when it comes to technique and comfort. If I were you I'd put scale length as a VERY low priority. Get a bass with a slim neck/good action and you'll have no problems whatsoever.

Btw, if you end up considering an instrument in the $500+ range, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Carvin lineup, because you get all the amenities of a $2k bass plus customization for less than half that price. If under $500 there are many makes and models on the market.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

I will check out the Carvin site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: