Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing Down Your Goals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Writing Down Your Goals Reply with quote

i read in this issue of jazz improv that only 3-4 % of people write down there goals. but they learn or earn 10 times more then a person that doesn't. think i'm gonna start writing.

let your fingers do the walking i do
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing where you are going is always a plus in anything in life.That way you can concentrate on a direct route to where you want to be.Makes perfect sense to me.It is also called having a plan, and sticking to it.Simple as it sounds a lot of people can not do it,it comes down to life choices and what it takes to achieve them.As a example: you want to make it in the music industry...you move to La. and your girl friend lives in Italy.She comes to the states and does not like it.What do you do?Some keep the relationship and others keep to their dream.Anyway you get the idea.Writing it down is the easy part,sticking to it is a little harder.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of truth in that Ron! Many, many people have thoughts of goals, ideas and/or dreams but so very few take action to realize them. That's the big difference. Realization is everything, dreams and ideas are a dime a dozen. Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing down goals, along with the steps it will take to meet them is a great plan. For many years I would write out a list of goals during the first week of January. Then I would mark my calendar to review them for progress. This would include professional, financial, personal development, whatever I thought I needed. As long as the goals are realistic and measurable in some way all it takes is discipline to keep with the plan. I'm not saying I met them all, but the success rate is higher when there is a strategy to follow.

My current plan is to study music at least 3 hours per day during the week. So I note how much time I practice in the morning, add the lunch time session, then make sure to hit the magic number before going to sleep. The interesting thing is that when I started keeping track my goal was 2 hours. Over time I saw the benefit of sustained practice and the time gradually crept up. Now my average is actually over 3 hours per day during the week, twice as much on weekends. I have a few "subdivisions" to the goal regarding time spent on lessons, transcribing, new music, etc.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the thing to do if you never had any goal's like myself is to start small and easy and build up to long time goals. just like everyone writes about starting to transcribe . start small and expand.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
i guess the thing to do if you never had any goal's like myself is to start small and easy and build up to long time goals. just like everyone writes about starting to transcribe . start small and expand.

You can start big or small,just as long as your life choices benefit your goal.Some people give up a lot to get to where they want to be.Like have a family,family comes first...really gets in the way of self serving a goal.Basically you have to be able to do what it takes at any given time.It's a tough world and you have to make tough choices,period.That is why it is easy to have a goal ,but hard to achieve it.After saying all that ,it is better to have one then not.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing Down Your Goals Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
i read in this issue of jazz improv that only 3-4 % of people write down there goals. but they learn or earn 10 times more then a person that doesn't. think i'm gonna start writing.

Corky,

Lots of great thoughts regarding one of my favorite subjects. My parents were both very obsessive when it came to organization, setting goals, and journaling. Kind of a family "disease" that I inherited. Laughing However, when people ask me how I could be so productive and prolific, those traits are one of the first things I point out.

I've written several articles relative to this topic at the Coach's Corner page, but here are two of them that I think you and other readers might enjoy:

"Maintaining A Journal - Game Plan for Personal Success"

"Organizing Your Time - Form Requires Substance"

Happy site-reading, and I hope these articles (among others) underline the value in writing down your goals, at least from my perspective.

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank everyone for the great info, and mark for the articles. now that my dad is starting to get around more i'm able to make time for myself, and make goals. thanks again

airlab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful--I've got a lot of time this summer and a desire to start playing jazz guitar.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget autumn, winter and spring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: