Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any Boss BR users?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Recording Your Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woland99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: any Boss BR users? Reply with quote

I keep thinking about getting Boss Micro BR - or perhaps BR 600.
I know that laptop gives more options but for traveling with guitar
or just making quick backup tracks or recording jam with others
a portable unit (with built in drum machine and guitar processor)
like BR 600 may have some advantage. No need to fiddle with mouse
and software - just move few sliders and press "Record" whenever
inspiration moves you.
psw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a bit old, I have just joined.

I bought a BR600 a few months ago as new secondhand at about half retail. A lot of people get something like this and move on to software for the more graphical recording and so come up from time to time.

The BR600 was compared with a range of other units and I judged it to be offer the most. It has similar or the same processor as the larger units, has 8 tracks with 8 virtual on each. The effects processor (which you will want to program to your tastes as they are default over processed rock things mainly) is great for guitar, there are also a lot of vocal processing and mastering effects too.

It also has a phrase trainer that allows tracks to be slowed down for practice or transcribing....neat! The machine sounds great as a fully featured effects practice headphone amp...or run it into an amp and ues like an effects unit in itself.

The drum machine has large touch sensitive pads and a range of kits and preprogrammed and editable beats.

The machine is very similar to the more expensive BR900 with the disc burner and the editing software will work via USB on the '600.

One of the big features of the '600 is the two condenser microphones. These are housed beneath slots in each side of the machine and are amazingly good. This means recording acoustic, percussion, vocal or even amps are a snap, in stereo even! Most, including the more expensive cousins of this machine don't offer this.

The big drawback on all these machines is the tiny edit screen. The micro is not as good value IMHO and the BR600 is tiny really and very portable (I suspect batteries would run down very quickly though and a bigger blank card will be needed.

It has enough memory depending on the number and complexity of tracks and virtual, best practice would be to download the results into a PC and copy it back to work on it or into something like audacity to convert to MP3 and burn to a disc that way.

The manual is inscrutable and as big as the machine. Some of the interface is a little clunky, but there certainly are a lot of features and the quality is pretty high.

I'd love to hear from people with tips and methods of getting the most of the device.

pete
psw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...it is very quiet around here...

The BR600 is a very powerful compact machine with more features than they have room to tell you about....and the manual is very tricky to get around.

I have just received a copy of the BR600 proaudioDVD tuition manual and it is great and revealed even more features and how to get around without too much fuss. It is a lot easier seeing someone actually do it than it is to decipher the manual and a lot of acronyms and unfamiliar terms and concepts!

Still learning, but it has been a lot more encouraging...

pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Recording Your Work All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: