Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a new build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Starting a new build Reply with quote

I have most if not all the parts and woods to do another build.I will be taking my time,as I am in no rush.I plan to make the frets out of bone,and bind it with bone.I plan to make the frets really low ,as to almost make it a fretless.I will take some pics soon,and run this thread as I build it.Hope everyone enjoys it.

In other news ,I made some fliers to teach beginning guitar,and am putting at least four hours a day into practice.I am also starting to look for some players to jam and play with.I want to play out before the year is out.Well that's about it.Stay tune for more news in the coming months.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Beginners Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
In other news ,I made some fliers to teach beginning guitar,and am putting at least four hours a day into practice.I am also starting to look for some players to jam and play with.I want to play out before the year is out.Well that's about it.Stay tune for more news in the coming months.

Dean,

Even though I've taught for almost 40 years, I still really enjoy working with beginners or first year players. There's something about the joy in making even a simple change between two chords that rekindles what it once was like for me (when dinosaurs ruled the earth Laughing ).

Anyway, about four years ago my wife and I decided to start a "School of Rock" program at the local elementary school here. It's been a great success. The kids love it, as do their parents, their teachers, etc. In my book there's nothing more inspiring than teaching what you know, on any level. Good move!

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,I am looking forward to passing something on.One thing I am looking forward to, along with teaching the basics,is showing them how to understand setups and not to be afraid to work on their guitar.So many people buy a guitar off the rack and never touch it ,but to clean or change strings.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Thanks Mark,I am looking forward to passing something on.One thing I am looking forward to, along with teaching the basics,is showing them how to understand setups and not to be afraid to work on their guitar.So many people buy a guitar off the rack and never touch it ,but to clean or change strings.

That's me. I recently tried to adjust the set up on my strat and couldn't get it right. I took it to a local tech who has a great reputation, and when I got it back it played like dream. I'd like to take a beginner's course on setting up, but I can't find a place that provides the training.

Congratulations on your dedication to practice. Four hours a day will yield results. Patience.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,I learned early on ,that I needed to learn some setup skills.If you go from 9's to 10's on a strat or any guitar with a trim you have to make adjustments.Then I was lucky enought to meet a great builder,and he showed me some of his stuff.Their are so many little things that can make a difference.Just like playing ,it takes practice.My builder told me if he was teaching me ,the first thing he would have me do is make 25 to 30 nuts.
Dean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark ,I have had my one student for three lessons so far.She is doing really good.So far ,she is learning to strum,by next lesson she will be able to play one song with four chords in it,and is learning the notes on the first string.I throw in a few fun things too.I am teaching her a couple of cool licks,so she can throw down with the boys.She does what I ask of her,and really wants to play.I can tell she is really practicing,it shows.She is real shy,so I put her at ease.Her guitar was out of tune ,so I let her play it that way for awhile.Then I asked her if she thought her guitar sounded right ,to this she replied ,no.I laughed and said ,it is because it is out of tune.So I tuned it for her,and said ,don't be afraid to say something ,if you feel something is not right.She smile and said ,ok.I think the boys have been giving her a hard time....so I let her know we can fix that....big smile.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Hey Mark ,I have had my one student for three lessons so far.She is doing really good.So far ,she is learning to strum,by next lesson she will be able to play one song with four chords in it,and is learning the notes on the first string.I throw in a few fun things too.I am teaching her a couple of cool licks,so she can throw down with the boys.

Dean,

Excellent! I know the feeling well, my friend. Even though I've taught for almost 40 years and most of my students are either gigging professionals or capable of it, I still thoroughly enjoy working with first-year players (including kids). There's something about the joy in seeing someone having fun and discovering that they can make a chord change or play a simple lick for the first time that makes me remember what that felt like such a long time ago. I can tell that you're having a fun, too. Wink

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, your right on the money,I enjoy the smiles and progress.I am helping out at the JC as a tutor in basic guitar,too.I love to see the light go on ,when someone finally gets it.I have to admit ,I was a little scared at first.I never think I am good enough,but I find out I am ok.I recommend everyone try to teach some guitar to someone.It brings a whole new element to your playing and just the way you feel about the guitar.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Qualifications Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Mark, your right on the money,I enjoy the smiles and progress.I am helping out at the JC as a tutor in basic guitar,too.I love to see the light go on ,when someone finally gets it.I have to admit ,I was a little scared at first.I never think I am good enough,but I find out I am ok.I recommend everyone try to teach some guitar to someone.It brings a whole new element to your playing and just the way you feel about the guitar.

Dean,

In my book, the only qualification required to teach is a willingness to share something you know with someone who wishes to learn what you can offer them. This is especially true with a diverse instrument like the guitar and, with all due respect, there are SO many supposedly "credible" instructors who have absolutely no business teaching anyone. Wink Keep up the great work!

- Mark
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Qualifications Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Dean,

In my book, the only qualification required to teach is a willingness to share something you know with someone who wishes to learn what you can offer them. This is especially true with a diverse instrument like the guitar and, with all due respect, there are SO many supposedly "credible" instructors who have absolutely no business teaching anyone. Wink Keep up the great work!

- Mark

Mark, I couldn't agree more! I started teaching guitar at 17. What I found even way back when is the more I taught, the better I became. The more advanced or advancing the student, the more it solidified my skills.

I have to admit somewhere around my mid to late 20's I grew tired of those who wanted to learn 'licks' and didn't have interest in becoming a real guitar player (so to speak) and grew bored with sitting down and learning some mediocore players chops so I could teach them to persons too lazy to transcribe them and from there progressively backed off teaching.

It is very rewarding to see someone go from 'not knowing', to 'getting it' and seeing their desire turn into results. And every so often someone will contact me out of the blue I had taught years ago who are still playing and found value in the time spent with me. That feels good! Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,you two ,and others on here reinforce me ,and that helps me more then you realize.
In the near future ,I hope to post some of my build. haha It is coming along.Still working on the neck.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Thanks guys,you two ,and others on here reinforce me ,and that helps me more then you realize.
In the near future ,I hope to post some of my build. haha It is coming along.Still working on the neck.

All good things in good time. Gosh if I attempted to accomplish all I *want* in a day, I would never sleep. Actually I tried the never sleep route...it didn't work. Rolling Eyes

Just keeping up with the kids in itself is nuts! Small example, my youngest is the starting Varsity goalkeeper in high school as well as still playing club travel. She's a freshman and only 13! A first in the schools history. She practices ~5 hours every day and has 5 games in 3 different states over the next 3 days! Like I said...nuts! And that's only one of them. Shocked

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Qualifications Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Mark, I couldn't agree more! I started teaching guitar at 17. What I found even way back when is the more I taught, the better I became. The more advanced or advancing the student, the more it solidified my skills.

I have to admit somewhere around my mid to late 20's I grew tired of those who wanted to learn 'licks' and didn't have interest in becoming a real guitar player (so to speak) and grew bored with sitting down and learning some mediocore players chops so I could teach them to persons too lazy to transcribe them and from there progressively backed off teaching.

It is very rewarding to see someone go from 'not knowing', to 'getting it' and seeing their desire turn into results. And every so often someone will contact me out of the blue I had taught years ago who are still playing and found value in the time spent with me. That feels good! Wink

Brian,

Yes, that's the unseen, ulterior motive in teaching what you know, which is that being able to explain it over and over again cements the knowledge in a manner that those who don't teach can't truly comprehend.

Like yourself, I began teaching at an early age (20) and it wasn't to make money, but to share what I was learning because I was so excited about it. I've never really lost that excitement, which I take for granted nowadays but is always a great trait to have in any instructor. I mean, who wants to study with someone who is bored or just doing it for the money, right? Wink

Speaking of which, boredom never became an issue for me, because I only chose to teach things that were artistically inspiring, and my lifelong passion for the blues covered an awful lot of ground in crossing genres. Personally, I think that everyone should teach, but you only have to have one student to experience a sense of fulfillment in helping a fellow player evolve. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: