Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New on the block

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepySamSlim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: New on the block Reply with quote

Hello all

Just a quick intro -- about 10yrs ago I started playing and probably got to "advanced beginner" and then plateaued and mostly quit playing. I would doodle off and on but that was it.

I now want to re-start and re-focus my self on music -- blues and jazzy blues specifically.

On the electric I work on standard blues style - but really want to focus on slow jazzy blues riffing and comping

On acoustic I'm exploring very raw Delta style blues. In that same area I'm also working on slide guitar which is a real blast.

And getting into slide is fairly easy (following the advice given on one of the slide guitar DVDs I have) "to get started just go to your local pawn shops and music stores and find a cheap used acoustic for $80 - $120 that sounds ok". Bottom line is no use looking for low action etc. as you're going to have the action jacked up anyway. But you're still looking for decent sound / projection. I found a used Washburn D10 for $125 and spent $40 to have the bridge raised up. After awhile I felt I needed a tad more string height so I learned how to "pop the nut" off of a guitar and slipped in a thin spacer (kinda nice to have a guitar your not afraid to fiddle with) and bingo I'm sliding without fretting out. I'm playing in open D tuning - which is also an interesting experience in itself.

I'll have plenty of questions as I start my journey anew ....
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sam,

I prefer higher action for slide, too. Although, I've known people who get away with playing slide really well on Les Pauls with the usual flat-0n-the frets string height. When I moved to 12's it made a positive difference in tone.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,I too like the blues and jazz,I play around with slide a little.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, ask all the questions you like, enjoy! Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New on the block Reply with quote

SleepySamSlim wrote:
I now want to re-start and re-focus my self on music -- blues and jazzy blues specifically.

On the electric I work on standard blues style - but really want to focus on slow jazzy blues riffing and comping

I'll have plenty of questions as I start my journey anew ....

Sam,

Well, you've certainly found the right place for my favorite subject, blending blues with jazz. Wink Welcome to our forum and feel free to ask away!

- Mark
SleepySamSlim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Welcome Sam,

I prefer higher action for slide, too. Although, I've known people who get away with playing slide really well on Les Pauls with the usual flat-0n-the frets string height. When I moved to 12's it made a positive difference in tone.

I certainly think higher action helps you get started playing slide until you develop "the touch". Several years ago I got the bug to try slide on my Martin .... it sounded like crap ... buzzing - fretting out etc. I'm thinking man this is hard stuff. With slightly raised action I am smoothly playing the blues and working on slide control and style
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been there! I quit playing for almost ten years. You will be surprised at how fast it comes back, and how fast you will improve. I think even though I wasn't playing all those years my brain thought I was. I was listening to jazz all along and it was in there when I started up again. Growth and maturity are good things.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: