Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Had A Bad Day" (Daniel Powter)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Arranger's Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: "Had A Bad Day" (Daniel Powter) Reply with quote

Fellow Guitarists,

Thought you might get a kick out of my recorded arrangement of the hit song "Had A Bad Day" by vocalist/pianist Daniel Powter. What made this project somewhat special is the fact that I transcribed, then arranged this tune directly from his recorded version, adapting his piano moves to acoustic guitar while adding my own bass fills and double-stops. Hope you enjoy it, and stay tuned for more...

- Mark
thaydon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds great ...

Todd
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Very Nice arrangement.

-Kb
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bad Day" Reply with quote

Todd, Larry, Kb,

Thanks for the collective kind words, all *seven* of them! Laughing Seriously, while I always appreciate compliments, my intention in sharing these solo guitar arrangements/recordings is to hopefully spawn some discussion regarding approaches to various standards covering a wide spectrum of song possibilities and genres. And ideally from forum members, players and students who are actively arranging, because as nice as it is to share YouTube clips on the subject I'd rather be in a position to actually converse with the arranger, or to hear what one of you has done by perhaps observing the renditions of others in a way that has contributed to what you are in the process of arranging. Not unlike transcribing a jazz solo, then discussing application of the language gleaned in a personal manner.

In either case, what made this "Bad Day" project a bit different for me was that it was a recent pop hit arranged in time, and the source was piano and vocal, transcribed and translated to guitar. Anyone out there got any pop arrangements of any kind underway? You know, like Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder from the 60's, 70's, etc? Or something more current? Or any classic movie themes? And if so, what are they and how are you going about it? Working from a lead sheet? By ear from a recording on a CD? Transposing to another key? Rubato or in time? Fingerstyle or flatpick? Electric guitar, steel-string, or nylon-string? Scoring your efforts? And if so, how? By hand? Notation program? Standard notation? Tab? Chord grids?

Lots of questions, buy hey... someone's got to ask them, eh? Wink I'll keep posting recordings but hopefully, as with improv approaches, we can use the forum to exchange ideas so that everyone can benefit from shared experiences. All for now...

- Mark
thaydon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I am presently arranging the song "time after time" by cindi lauper. it is one of my favorite pop tunes. at the moment i have the song arranged with melody and chords but my arrangement sounds much like the original using arpeggios etc. so i am considering using block chords or using counterpoint ala bach's bouree in eminor....

Todd
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time After Time Reply with quote

thaydon wrote:
Well,
I am presently arranging the song "time after time" by cindi lauper. it is one of my favorite pop tunes. at the moment i have the song arranged with melody and chords but my arrangement sounds much like the original using arpeggios etc. so i am considering using block chords or using counterpoint ala bach's bouree in eminor....

Todd,

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! I also love that tune and arranged it many years ago, but haven't played/performed it in years. What key are you doing it in? If I recall, mine was in C. Now you've got me wanting to dig it up. Geez... I hope I kept my notes, because sometimes I just keep playing a tune while I'm arranging it. If I can't find my notes and my aural and finger memory fail, I may have to do arrange it all over again. Wink

- Mark
thaydon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, key of C starting off with the F6 chord, D on the 2nd string...

Smile

Todd
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time After Time Reply with quote

thaydon wrote:
yes, key of C starting off with the F6 chord, D on the 2nd string...

Smile

Todd,

Same here. Verse melody is so basic that I'm usually throwing in some gospel bass figures and/or adding some right-hand percussion on two and four. It's coming back fast. Thanks for bringing the tune up and when you get it arranged, record it and we'll get it posted here. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Arranger's Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: