Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Getting Yourself Started"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: "Getting Yourself Started" Reply with quote

"GETTING YOURSELF STARTED - OVERCOMING PROCRASTINATION"

I can't get started. Sound familiar? I thought so. As a matter of fact, those exact four words are so common that there's even a classic standard that goes by the same title. Well, we're going to spend some time this month talking more about your goals, especially those that you know need addressing, but somehow manage to remain in the procrastination slush pile, for days, months, years, or even decades of time spent in needless frustration.

I consider myself to be an excellent authority on this subject, and therefore in a perfect position to share my thoughts with you. Why? Simple. Despite what you may think, relative to my visible artistic accomplishments, I'm as guilty as anyone of "putting off today what can be done tomorrow" (and tomorrow rarely comes, if you haven't noticed). I also work with players every day who are so close to making major breakthroughs, yet continually stop themselves by coming up with all sorts of excuses for not getting started. And getting yourself started, the theme of this article, is really what it's all about.

=============================================

To read the complete article, which was distributed last night to Vision Music mailing list members, click here. All for now...

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

This is such good advice -- I'm sorry I missed this post until now.

I play a bit of a game with myself when I don't feel like practicing. I make myself a deal: "I'll play for fifteen minutes, and if I don't feel like playing anymore after that, I'll stop." In the dozens of times I've done this, I've only stopped once.

Nice chord lick in the post too!
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Yourself Started Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
Mark,

This is such good advice -- I'm sorry I missed this post until now.

I play a bit of a game with myself when I don't feel like practicing. I make myself a deal: "I'll play for fifteen minutes, and if I don't feel like playing anymore after that, I'll stop." In the dozens of times I've done this, I've only stopped once.

Nice chord lick in the post too!

Len,

Better late than never, eh? Wink Yes, what you describe fits the point of the article perfectly. I can't say that I always practice what I preach, but this is one instance where I try to at least get things underway, if only for a few minutes. And btw, one of the points in the article is that sometimes we only think we should be doing something, when that's not a reality. Perhaps the time you stopped was because you weren't truly motivated to practice or that what you were practicing wasn't inspiring. The bottom line is that we only find out once we get started. Glad you liked the blues chord lick, too. Both the article and lick have no time stamp, as they had value years ago and will retain value for years to come.

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Coach's Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: