Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what are people listening to? (Other than Mark)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John G

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:

The Montgomery I already had and can't find. Huh? Tal Farlow is great, got some extra retake tracks of him screwing up! Laughing

I love hearing great players screw up, it reminds me that they weren't born great, they had to really work to get there. It's a comforting thought during my developmental years as a jazz guitarist.

Some of my favorite GG albums are "Street of Dreams" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand," two that he recorded with Larry Young. I also really like "Feelin' the Spirit" and "Goin' West," two that he recorded with Herbie Hancock. Those four albums get constant rotation through my player.
Fajah

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three favorite CD's are;

THE WES MONTGOMERY TRIO
(Riverside RLP 1156)
October 5 and 6 1959
http://concordmusicgroup.com/labels/album/index.php?label=RIVERSIDE&id=4010

Lenny Breau, Dave Young-"Live At Bourbon St." 1995
http://www.lennybreau.com/lbdylbs.html

Danny Gatton and Joey DeFrancesco - Relentless
http://www.dannygatton.com/Discography/relent.html

The Wes CD is wonderful, and I also happen to love the sound of the B3. The Lenny CD is in my opinion, is Lenny playing at his peak. The Danny CD goes from straight up blues like "The Pits", to jazz/blues tunes, to smokin' jazz tunes like "Well You Needn't". No surprise at how good the music is when you marry the "King of the Tele", with the "King of the B3".

Great list of tunes on all three CD's, and for a jazz/blues guitar/bass player, an endless source of lines and licks to pick up (for both instruments).

Lawrie

Guitar Gear:
1968 Raven Semi Hollow
1970 Ovation Balladeer
SX STL-50
Roland Cube 60
Roland Microcube

Bass Gear:
SX SJB-75
Douglas WEB-846 Fretless
Markbass LMII
Bergantino AE112 Cab
masanfe

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back to jim hall old recordings ( 1959) with the real jazz players. Paul Desmond Quartet with Percy Heath ( MJQ) & Conny Kay. Tremendous group.
Also Coltrane and other non guitarist is a fantastic exercise to get new ideas.
These are Cd reissues from old LPīs
Hank Garland is another source for terrific swing. Former LP with Gary Burton. One of the best jazz records issued.
BarbNY

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are people listening to? (Other than Mark) Reply with quote

I went to the Guitar Show on Long Island over the weekend, and picked up the incredible new CD by Jimmy Bruno, and it hasn't left my CD player since. The sound on this recording is amazing, and it was recorded in such a way that you feel like you're right there in the room with the musicians. (Tony Miceli on vibes & Jeff Pedraz on bass.) The tone of Jimmy's Sadowsky Model is perfectly captured here, and is what made me buy one last year. I've had the good fortune to know Jimmy for a number of years now, and I told him yesterday that I think this CD contains some of his best playing ever. (And who would think it could get any better?) I encourage everyone to check out this CD. It's called "Maplewood Avenue," and is only available through Jimmy's website: www.jimmybruno.com.

Last edited by BarbNY on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
woland99

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Jarreau - all. Almost forgot how good that cat is.
Very nice and inspiring music if you want to jam along.

JT
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: So what are people listening to? (Other than Mark) Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:
I went to the Guitar Show on Long Island over the weekend, and picked up the incredible new CD by Jimmy Bruno, and it hasn't left my CD player since.

Great CD review and photo, Barbara! Well, okay.. since this topic deals with who you're listening to other than yours truly? Laughing For starters, let me throw out a couple of unique and personal faves:

If you like George Benson and enjoy blues half as much as I do, you HAVE to pick up a copy of B.B. King's live performance at the Bottom Line in New York (King Bisquit Flower Hour Records - 1978). It was recorded over two nights. Johnny and Edgar Winter sat in with the King on the first night, and GB on the second night. Electrifying doesn't even come close! Two long tracks and a total of 25 minutes of magic with GB and BB going toe to toe. Trust me, nothing like it if you love the blues.

Kenny Burrell now has over 100 albums, but if you've never heard his mid-sixties "Have Yourself A Soulful Merry Christmas" release (originally on Cadet and now available on CD), get yourself a copy. My good friend, Henry Johnson, told me that he transcribed the entire record when he was just a teenager, and that doesn't surprise me one bit. Just a brilliant recording, including his memorable version of My Favorite Things.

I've got a ton of disc recommendations, but try those on for size. All for now...

- Mark
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Kenny Burrell's Christmas album. That is a great recording!
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
+1 on Kenny Burrell's Christmas album. That is a great recording!

Brad,

Good to hear that you have that recording, because it was out of print for a long time. I still have my original LP on Cadet Records. The Tribute to KB I released online awhile back is based on his classic rendition of "Merry Christmas Baby." Of course, KB's Christmas recording is nowhere near as obscure as the BB/GB live date, which even some of the most diehard Benson fans have never heard.

But getting back to Burrell for a second, I have just about every one of his recordings, but the ones that had the most impact on my decision to get into jazz were his Organ Grinder Swing and Blue Bash collaborations with Jimmy Smith in the 60s. I used to play those to death and transcribed just about all of Kenny's work on those memorable Verve releases. Timeless!

- Mark
woland99

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Lee Hooker. I drove to West Texas and back last Fri -
950 miles total - and JHL saved the day - the trans the it puts
you in makes the miles just fly by.

JT
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the albums I keep coming back to:

Miles: Kind of Blue
Wes: Smokin' at the Half Note
Beatles: Anything
Buddy Guy: Anything
Bach: Anything, esp. Lute Suite 4 or Chaconne in d mi arr for guitar
Villa Lobos: Concierto for Guitar
Stravinsky: Rites of Spring
Chick Corea: Light as a Feather
Benjamin Britten: Nocturnal (for guitar)
Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: