Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improv...good or bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Improv...good or bad Reply with quote

I play over cd;s or if someone is playing a rythem..I will lay down some notes on top of it.I have yet to get a bad responce...I just kind of let my fingers and ears do the walking.For some reason ,it seems to work for me.Does anyone else do this ,or am I just different?I still learn songs ,but I really enjoy just hearing some chords and getting lost in the music.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the spice man, the spice! I can't help but do what you've described. Actually even way back when and I played in 'cover bands' people would constantly ask why I didn't play the solo exactly as such and such recorded it. My response was always 'why?' Improv is where body, mind and spirit come to one place for a musician and being part of the music, not just playing it. Cool

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Improv...good or bad Reply with quote

Ron,

You're doing what creative musicians have always done;
listen to a sound source you find intriguing and add your own voice to it.
Seems you might have some composer/arranger genes at play too.

If did not have a single fancy electronic gizmo, gadget or instrument...
I'd find two sticks, think up interesting ways to bang 'em together
and sing syllables or other sounds over it.

-Kb

-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Improv...good or bad Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
You're doing what creative musicians have always done; listen to a sound source you find intriguing and add your own voice to it. Seems you might have some composer/arranger genes at play too.

Kb,

Agreed. As far as the "composer/arranger genes" thing, I've always felt that improvising is composing and arranging what you hear on the fly. Of course, the power of a player's "own voice" and how compelling a message they have to deliver is based primarily on their existing vocabulary, much like a good author or public speaker. Unfortunately, this is where SO many players come up short and have little to say.

With that in mind, my advice to Ron or any other aspiring improviser is to do what the truly great soloists have done: Spend a LOT of time imitating strong players in order to build up your language vocabulary as the main means of developing that personal voice. Strength generates strength, so don't be satisfied with just playing anything. Make EVERY single note count or "take a breath" (as my late father used to say Wink ).

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responce guys,When I do this,I just find a area that fits note wise ,and just go off from there.I don't think in scales so much ,as I will hear the sound right before I stop my fingers.When I get into this mode,and someone is playing ,they will look up at me and smile and just go with it.A lot of times I just shut my eyes and just feel it.Don't get me wrong ,I am still putting in the practice for standered playing.
I was just playing around the other day ,getting ready for my class,and at the end of it a lady came out of a room and told me she was singing to my playing.This kind of caught me off guard,so I just said thanks...should have had her sing her sounds.
On a off note ,I will be moving soon....so if I am not around for a little bit,you will know why.It will be after Thanksgiving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: