Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vintage Guitars Vs. New Guitars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Vintage Guitars Vs. New Guitars Reply with quote

I borrowed this topic off another site,vintage verses new. It stirred some very interesting thoughts.So I brought it here to see what everyone had to say.I do find it a great subject,because it has so many ideas to be explored.People being people ,have very differing thoughts on this subject,and with the talent here I just thought it would be a great subject to explore.Your thoughts on this are looked forward to.I will save mine for last or in the middle.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun to go to a vintage shop and play the classics, but to me there's nothing like playing a brand new finely built guitar.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage vs New Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
It's fun to go to a vintage shop and play the classics, but to me there's nothing like playing a brand new finely built guitar.

Guys,

I've never considered myself a guitar collector per se, but I am a traditionalist in the sense that my main archtop (Gibson S400) and classical nylon-string (Paulino Bernabe) are both 38 years old. Of course, since I was the one who purchased them back in 1970, perhaps the only thing "vintage" would be yours truly, eh? Laughing

But seriously and regarding vintage vs new, when I was visiting and jamming with Wolf and Henry Johnson at Mr. Marshall's home earlier this year, I had the opportunity to play guitars ranging from a brand new Heritage Kenny Burrell S400 and a Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno to Howard Roberts' famous archtop that was once owned by Herb Ellis. They were all great to play, and as much as I love talking about the instrument of choice, whether vintage or new, it really does come down to the player and what they have to say. All for now...

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like vintage if only for the woods they had back then.The low end of guitars back in the 50's - 60's is equivalent to the mid to low high end of today.They just put more into a guitar back then.I will concede that we have some hardware that is better today ,but the guitar as a whole was made better back then to me.The tone thing is always debatable ,and of coarse a guitar with history is a winner every time.The perfect guitar is the one that works for you.It is just funny that people buy a guitar more for who is playing one at the time ,then if it is any good for them.I have taken some of my guitars to my class,just to show people that you have more choices then off the rack.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point about the woods. What is the difference between then and now? I know that some of the best quality woods are in short supply these days, but aren't sitka, mahogany, swamp ash fine woods that are still plentiful?
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
That's an interesting point about the woods. What is the difference between then and now? I know that some of the best quality woods are in short supply these days, but aren't sitka, mahogany, swamp ash fine woods that are still plentiful?

Larry, yes they are ,but not in the sizes and age of the older stuff.Wood gets better with age and being played.They had a better selection back then.Most wood today is kiln dried,not set in a shed for two or more years before use.Vintage stuff has more one piece bodies,not two and three piece bodies of today.The grains were tighter with no run out ,and most of all they were made with more attention to detail.If you think about it ,you can buy a vintage project guitar, for the wood, cheaper then you can buy the wood new today.We have got upside down in guitars just like most other things,you can buy one cheaper then build it.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame that our desire for furniture is depleting the guitar wood supply. I think Taylor Guitars buys their wood raw and dries it out naturally. I have a 510 that I got new back in 1990 that is a dream to play.
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
What a shame that our desire for furniture is depleting the guitar wood supply. I think Taylor Guitars buys their wood raw and dries it out naturally. I have a 510 that I got new back in 1990 that is a dream to play.

Larry ,funny you should say that,only a small percentage of wood is set aside for musical instruments.My son works for a drum company and they go on wood hunts for that special wood.I saw a piece ,where a historic maple tree had broken due to weather and age.It was probably just cut up and chipped or used for some non musical purpose.Remember when they found all that tone wood ,under water in lake superior....300 year old wood ,just like new.a lot of that wood was sold for a top price...age and size.
I did not know Taylor did that ,I would think it would be for their higher end instruments, but good to know,I like Taylor guitars.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break with tradition, but I prefer newer instruments. First of all, you get a lot more for your money. Also, there are some excellent makers out there -- both bespoke and off the rack. Some of the new technologies are great (plek, Buzz Feiten system), and there are some great mid-range guitars out there (Eastmans).

Vintage instruments are expensive, and they often have issues. To get an issue-free instrument can be very expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: