Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Importance of Playing a Variety of Styles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: The Importance of Playing a Variety of Styles Reply with quote

I'd like to start a new topic: How important is it to play a variety of styles?

What are your thoughts on this? Does cross-training work?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Importance of Playing a Variety of Styles Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
I'd like to start a new topic: How important is it to play a variety of styles?

What are your thoughts on this? Does cross-training work?

Len,

I'm fairly eclectic as a player and composer. As far as how important it is to play a variety of styles? I believe it's only important if you are truly driven to play a given style, and less as an educational means to an end.

For instance, I could make the case that my classical background has positively affected other styles I play, but I didn't get into that genre for any other reason than being moved by the music itself. Sure, in the back of my mind I imagined that it might be an aid to other musical pursuits over time, and in retrospect that has been the case.

On a related note, most of my most significant mentors didn't play a variety of styles, instead being obsessively driven to perfect one style over all others. From my perspective as a student of music, that has worked to my benefit in learning from the best players in their respective styles.

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: