Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantity vs Quality Practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Take Your Pick? Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
I recently tried out the Dunlop Ultex III jazz picks. I had been using Dunlop extra heavies for years and really like them. So I played a phrase on my archtop with each pick and found a remarkable difference between them. The jazz pick produced a louder sound that was very fat. The smaller size and texture affords more control when playing faster. I'm sold!

Larry,

Have you tried the Pro Plec pick series by D'Andrea? For me they are hands down superior to any Dunlop when it comes to jazz tone. When Henry (Johnson) introduced me to those guys at the recent NAMM Show, they explained how their picks are actually put through what amounts to gem tumblers for 2-3 days in order to get that beveled edge that delivers the warm tone.

Above is a tabletop (laptop?) shot of my favorite picks spanning the past 20 years. The HJ Pro Plec is center bottom. All others are Pickboys, which are very hard to find nowadays. Note the smooth edges. Don't get me wrong. I like the Dunlops and have many of them, but if you try a Pro Plec you'll immediately notice the difference in tone. All for now...

- Mark

P.S. Does the "quality" of tone from a superior pick yield quality practice results? Just wondering if I'm staying on topic? Laughing
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I checked out the Pro Plecs on the Guitar Center web site. I'll pick up a few on my next stop.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my pick collection out to day, and am picking through it to find more pick choices to get good guitar tones.when I get them dialed in ,I will post a pic.of the ones I like.
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I thought I would let you know that my practice and learning are of something I would play.It is the best for making progress,and I learn a new song or lick or phrase.I still go to the beginner class ,so I can help people with their guitars ,and help them with the lesson when they need it.Monday was the first day for the new students and the teacher and I let them know I could help them with any questions about their guitar,or set it up if it needs tweaking.
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on topic,the pick does help with practice.The right pick helps you move around better,for me anyway.Also ,sense I have been helping in the beginner classes ,I have found out that a half hour of practice is just not enough practice time in the beginning.I think you have to devote more time in the beginning.I am thinking that people give up,because they do not understand that a good foundation has to be worked for.I tell everyone I help to not get frustrated and keep going ,it will come.Do it over and over again until you can not mess up.Four notes at a time if you have to.I tell them to brake it down one bar at a time.Don't try to learn the whole song at once.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the quote by Julie Andrews it reminded me of something a very good jazz guitar player told me.

"You measure yourself not by the how well you play on your best day but how well you play on your worst day. "
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrews' Quote Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
After reading the quote by Julie Andrews it reminded me of something a very good jazz guitar player told me.

"You measure yourself not by the how well you play on your best day but how well you play on your worst day. "

Tony,

That's VERY true. It ties directly in with the entire quality vs quantity issue, because what I told myself many years ago was that if I only studied and absorbed great language and eliminated every single weak note in the process, than my worst day now would be like my best day back then. I make the same promise to my students who follow that path, too. After all, if it worked for me I know that it's going to work for them. It's not about how many notes you play or how many hours you practice, but what you play and choose to practice that counts most.

To underline what I'm talking about, I recently posted my Kitchen Sink Blues recording in another part of our forum. Now, what I didn't mention was that I was just sick as a dog the day that I recorded that track, but I decided to see if on the worst day of the year ('07) I could drag myself out of bed and still hold my own. Wink You be the judge, but there's NO way I could have played at that level 20 years ago, sick or not. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: