Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to record with
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Recording Your Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Tools Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
After years of using ProTools, I've been recording everything in Garage Band for quite some time now, and with great results.

However, for lessons I record all of my raw audio directly to disc using a Tascam CD-RW750 burner, a little Mackie and a pair of old Yamaha reverbs (SPX 90 and REV 500) that I bought on eBay. Then I pop the finished disc into my Mac and edit in GB. It's been my best educational work to date, although I like to think that the content has a little something to do with that. Wink

When it comes to recording and your tools, it's pretty subjective and just depends on what you're trying to do. All for now...

- Mark

Mark,

I posted this info about 'Audacity' in another thread,
but it is probably worth a mention here too.

For audio, there is the *free* Audacity;

Both Mac and PC compatible

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Audacity Downloads;
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Audacity doesn't support midi, so if you need to convert midi files to audio,
another app is required for that purpose.

Additional 'optional' installers include;

- 'Lame' MP3 encoder which allows Audacity to *export* MP3 files.

-'VST Enabler' which allows Audacity to load VST plug-ins.

In addition to the software, an hardware 'audio interface' is also required to record your instrument.

-Kb
nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started listening to my own recordings slowed down, using Transcribe! software. It's really interesting what you pick up when you listen to yourself at a slow speed. For example, how are your notes locking in with the drums? Are all the notes really necessary? etc. etc. Has anyone else tried this?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transcribing Your Own Recordings Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
I recently started listening to my own recordings slowed down, using Transcribe! software. It's really interesting what you pick up when you listen to yourself at a slow speed. For example, how are your notes locking in with the drums? Are all the notes really necessary? etc. etc. Has anyone else tried this?

Lenny,

Your question assumes that players are recording themselves on a regular basis, which they definitely should be doing. In a sense, I think that the process of recording itself is a matter of transcribing "on the fly," because as you listen back to each take you become more and more aware of your timing tendencies, which translates to improvement.

However, I still often find it challenging to accurately transcribe what I've recorded (especially on the rhythmic front) and I am continually going back and forth between actual speed and half speed for verification, as I would with any project. The only real advantage is having a pretty firm grip on what I did harmonically. I mean.. I should know what I played, right? Wink

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, it's interesting that you mentioned picking up on tendencies. One I've noticed is rushing with difficult technical passages. Recording myself was critical to identifying this problem. It was as if I were saying, "this is going to be hard to play up to speed, so I better push it," when in reality the correct procedure was to lay back a little.

Another interesting thing you learn from recording is what your strengths are. A few times, I've really liked something I've played and decided to use the lick/riff/idea more.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tendencies Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
Mark, it's interesting that you mentioned picking up on tendencies. One I've noticed is rushing with difficult technical passages. Recording myself was critical to identifying this problem. It was as if I were saying, "this is going to be hard to play up to speed, so I better push it," when in reality the correct procedure was to lay back a little.

Another interesting thing you learn from recording is what your strengths are. A few times, I've really liked something I've played and decided to use the lick/riff/idea more.

Lenny,

Everyone has tendencies, including the great players whom we choose to transcribe. As a matter of fact, it is those tendencies that differentiate a Charlie Parker from a John Coltrane, a Robben Ford from a George Benson, an Oscar Peterson from a McCoy Tyner, and so on.

One of the reasons why I am always beating the A.R.T. (Arranging, Recording, & Transcribing) drum is that most players will never discover those tendencies in themselves or others without making a concerted effort on those critical fronts.

You're absolutely on the $$ regarding the strengths and weaknesses that we identify as "tendencies" in our own work, and once again if a player doesn't bother to make a concerted effort to record and transcribe, those traits remain a great mystery. Once you determine what you like/dislike in yourself and your influences, you take the best while discarding the rest and can effectively move to higher ground. All for now...

- Mark
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for input.

There are many choices for me to make that could end up being expensive and I fear I will waste money figuring things out the hard way.
I want the ability to record my playing but I also want the ability to produce tracks to jam with. Ideally I want a PC based system that produces quality rythm tracks that I can use as background for my playing. By quality I mean something at least equivelant to some of the drum machines I have seen out there such as Dr. Rythm.

I recently purchased a DP-04 tascam mini recorder and I have a new Dell Laptop on the way. So now it's a matter of software. I have an old version of Band N the box. I don't care for the sound tracks it produces. They don't sound real. I don't want to get heavily into programming music so Cake Walk express won't do.

What software would you recommend I purchase ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Recording Your Work All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: