Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Road Ahead" (Onward & Upward)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Special Spotlight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: "The Road Ahead" (Onward & Upward) Reply with quote

Fellow Guitarists,

"The Road Ahead" is an original acoustic composition, one of many I've written over the years. It was dedicated to Dennis Marcellino, my sax playing partner, back in the late nineties after we had released our "Tenderly" sax/guitar duo release.

What you're seeing above is the rubato ("free time") intro that sets the stage for the opening series of chords in tempo and leading to the verse. The intro begins with a simple, full-strummed G bar chord, followed by a series of double-stops. The subtitle (Onward & Upward) suggests the uplifting nature of this tune. I typically play the tune solo, but to hear a recent rendition with bass, drums, and string accompaniment, click here. Hope you enjoy it!

As a special gift during the holiday season for forum members and fans of Vision Music, I've uploaded a FREE eBook of the entire score for you to check out and learn. To access the PDF, click here. Til next time...

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always ,Thanks for the free stuff.Hope you and your family have a great holiday.
runr7t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried to upload the file, but it keeps sending me to the "join the community forum" page. I have already joined. is there some problem
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: "The Road Ahead" (Onward & Upward) Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
What you're seeing above is the rubato ("free time") intro that sets the stage for the opening series of chords in tempo and leading to the verse.

Mark,

Thanks for the piece and the tracks. I especially like the contrasting'
resonant 'Interlude' placed between the 'Intro' and 'Verse' sections.
I feel it as a very 'pianistic' quality between idiomatic guitar sections.

The 'Bridge' has the pianistic quality too. Nice move setting up the
Em(add 9) with the E open strings on the upbeat of the 4th beat, 4th bar of the bridge.
Helps with the smooth execution of the Em(add 9) arpeggio in bar 5.

-Kb
-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runr7t wrote:
i have tried to upload the file, but it keeps sending me to the "join the community forum" page. I have already joined. is there some problem

Hi! You shouldn't have any problem as long as you are logged in at the time that you attempt the download. If you continue to have problems, contact me via email.

Kb wrote:
I especially like the contrasting resonant 'Interlude' placed between the 'Intro' and 'Verse' sections. I feel it as very a 'pianistic' quality between very idiomatic guitar sections.

The 'Bridge' has the pianistic quality too. Nice move setting up the Em(add 9) with the E open strings on the upbeat of the 4th beat, 4th bar of the bridge. Helps with the smooth execution of the Em(add 9) arpeggio in bar 5.

Kb,

Very astute observations, especially regarding the interlude that serves to glue everything together in this tune. The four chords (G, Bm, C, and D) are nothing new, but it's the texture created by having a common tone D melody with each voicing combined with the open G (immediately following each change) that just keeps pushing the progression along.

Anyway, thanks as always for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the music. Til next time...

- Mark
runr7t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still cannot access the pdf of road ahead.....would you mind sending me that in an email

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Special Spotlight All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: