Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenny Burrell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocDosco wrote:
I kind of enjoy when people post tracks. It's nice to punctuate the paragraphs on the forum with an MP3 or 2. And then have people explain how and why they used a certain approach, employed a type of phrasing, or went for a certain sound. We all learn (and steal from) from each other. In fact, I stole some nice lines from Royce Campbell last night. He is a very good straight ahead player.

As George Benson said... "If you don't want me to steal it, don't play it'.... haha ;0)

Doc,

I enjoyed your tracks and thoughts regarding blues in jazz, both in the music we hear as well as play. As far as the "theft" issue is concerned? Well, I always make the point that none of us truly owns the language. We just borrow it, and the best seem to be those who borrow the most (e.g. George Benson).

My first love has always been the blues, and I really enjoy blending the language of blues with any other genre, jazz included. I'm with you in that I respect others who are creative players but don't share my blues affinity or only pay it lip service. For me the best indicator of what I enjoy most is whether I would listen to it repeatedly. That's why I never tire of Wes, GB, Kenny, etc, because their blues-based work continues to grow on me with each listen, even decades after I first heard it. Thanks for sharing. All for now...

- Mark
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Burrell Book Update Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

As many of you know, Wolf Marshall and I are close friends, and he happened to mention in a phone conversation today that he was in the process of doing final edits on his long-awaited Kenny Burrell book. It was completed and delivered to Hal Leonard over two years ago, but there was a legal snag involving permission to release the essential classic "Chitlins Con Carne" with the other selections. That was finally resolved.

Among other things and knowing how many players and students have asked me about the book delay, he sent along a PDF of the book cover with the "green light" to share it at Vision Music first. Here's a snapshot:

I've also uploaded the PDF itself to share with all of you. To view and download it, click here and stay tuned for the official release of what will easily be the best work ever on one of my main guitar mentors. Til next time...

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! Bring it on!
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just in time for christmas. I want one.....you think Wolf would sign a few copies for fourm buyers.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
And just in time for christmas. I want one.....you think Wolf would sign a few copies for forum buyers.

Ron,

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to do that. Wink Til next time...

- Mark
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome...great tune selection too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: