Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking "licks"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Walking "licks" Reply with quote

At Mark's suggestion, I started a collection of guitar licks. Whenever I transcribe a ii-V lick I really like, I write it in my notebook for future reference.

Does anyone do this for walking bass lines?

I've noticed that there are many formulas for root movements. For example, using 1, 3, 4, #4 going from a tonic to a dominant chord. Does it make sense to categorize these great cliches? And, if so, how would you organize them?

My thought for organizing would be to collect cliches based on root movement.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking "licks" Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
Does anyone do this for walking bass lines?

I've noticed that there are many formulas for root movements. For example, using 1, 3, 4, #4 going from a tonic to a dominant chord. Does it make sense to categorize these great cliches? And, if so, how would you organize them?

My thought for organizing would be to collect cliches based on root movement.

Len,

My advice would be to write model walks as opposed to a walking lick book, because even a few choruses of jazz blues or one chorus of a standard can contain so many formulas within the context of the progresssion itself.

Part of the reason for this is that the quarter note is the common denominator, which means that there are simply fewer ways to move from root to root, depending on whether the change is every two, four, eight, or sixteen beats. The first two are easily the most used. All for now...

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. One thing I think I've noticed from transcribing is that some walking patterns seem to be based on chord substitutions. So, for example, if the progression is moving in 4 beat cadences, it can be re-harmonized with substitute chords moving every 2 beats, which adds some nice interest to the line. Is this my imagination, or do bass players actually conceive lines this way?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
Thanks Mark. One thing I think I've noticed from transcribing is that some walking patterns seem to be based on chord substitutions. So, for example, if the progression is moving in 4 beat cadences, it can be re-harmonized with substitute chords moving every 2 beats, which adds some nice interest to the line. Is this my imagination, or do bass players actually conceive lines this way?

Len,

Not typically. If you detect subs in a bass part it usually stems from a decision by the piano player or the arrangement itself. If anything, I'm more often stripping away subs to better address the fundamental harmony in the bass role and get the ensemble to swing. Wink

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> The Bass Space All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: