Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transcribing as an Overall Approach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Transcribing as an Overall Approach Reply with quote

After transcribing daily for several years, it finally hit me; transcribing is THE overall approach to learning music.

Everything I now learn, I endeavor to approach by ear. Whether it be memorization, learning new pieces, or finding lines to go over progressions. This has made my practicing efficient, because I am no longer doing specific "exercises." Also, more of my practice time is now using my "ear" with some intensity.

Some specifics: I review material by playing along with recordings. I study theory by transcribing the Good Vibes Guitar Solos series. I practice reading by writing out things I hear. I learn new tunes by transcribing the bass line.

I'm curious if others have reached this realization.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transcribing as an Overall Approach Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
After transcribing daily for several years, it finally hit me; transcribing is THE overall approach to learning music.

It took a long time for it to sink in, but I finally arrived at the same conclusion. It happened when I noticed that some of the lines and techniques I parroted for months began to creep their way into my playing. If you're transcribing every day you must be making tremendous progress.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC said:

Quote:
If you're transcribing every day you must be making tremendous progress.

Not as fast as I'd like! Very Happy I'm finding that I'm making the most progress when I transcribe areas of weakness -- like bass lines. I did make a big jump about a month after I came to the realization that transcribing should permeate everything I do. Then my transcribing activities jumped to about 70% of my practice time (depending on how you define transcribing -- I'm including playing along with solos I already know in my definition).
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I should add that I've discovered some tricks to increase the amount of time I'm spending on transcribing.

For example, I try to practice classical guitar technique every day. So I play along with a Good Vibes solo while stressing a particular right hand fingering (imim, amam, etc).

I hit my theory practice with the Good Vibes solos -- I play along with a solo slowly (and I rotate the solos I play along with daily), while identifying how each note relates to the harmony (3rd, 5th, etc), and I try to see the underlying CAGED shape beneath the riff.

To review repetoire, I play along with recorded versions (for example, I review Blue Monk playing along with the Thelonius Monk recording). Once I got organized with this method, it became a lot easier than it sounds.

It also helps to keep a journal, so that you rotate what you're working on. The trick for me is to try to nail all this stuff in a reasonable period of time every day.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other secret I've discovered to getting a lot done in a short timeframe (I am always pressed for practice time) is to hit as many things as possible at once. For example, I will transcribe a Good Vibes solo while analyzing the theory, trying to memorize the progression, hitting a specific technique area (like relaxing my hands) and thinking about chord shapes all at once. It is mentally exhausting, but it squeezes a lot of work into a short time frame.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
I play along with a solo slowly (and I rotate the solos I play along with daily), while identifying how each note relates to the harmony (3rd, 5th, etc)

Yep, organization is crucial. My method isn't quite as broad, but I do determine specific goals then map out measurable steps to reach them.

Identifying how each note relates to harmony is something I'm working on all the time. It's interesting to hear a modern jazz student discuss "avoid" tones, only to find examples of the masters using them to great effect.
nylenny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The avoid tones are the best! Especially b7 over a major seventh chord!
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the natural 7th over a dominant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: