Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Context of material gleaned from transcribing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Context of material gleaned from transcribing Reply with quote

I am new to this wonderful site, and I have been studying past posts. These discussions have convinced me of the value of transcribing, and how this approach enables you to learn the language, which cannot be learned through scale study. I had read of the value of this exercise elsewhere, such as in some Jamey Aebersold materials, but this site is filled with many compelling reasons that have been articulated well throughout the posts. Being a newbie to jazz as well as to transcribing, my question is what do you use to maintain context? Mark suggests keeping a book of licks, but how do I know where to use them? For instance, if I transcribe a phrase, would I want to know for instance that it was a phrase based on D Dorian in order that I could analyze it and then apply it later to a G Dorian portion of a song? Or do I need to think more in terms of chords? Thanks for any help you can provide
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

first of all, congratulations on seeing the light regarding the value of transcribing. Regarding your question, I would say most players think in terms of chord tones, passing notes, and leading tones rather than modal phrasing. If you fixate on Dorian over the IIm7, Mixolydian over the V7, Super Locrian over an altered V7 your phrasing will be technically correct but probably dry as toast. Try learning a bar or two at a time from the masters and analyze what is taking place in terms of how one phrase connects to the other and how they use chromaticism, enclosures and other devices. It helps to visualize the chords on the fretboard as you play the phrases.Then "plug in" the phrases over jam tracks or in songs you already know. Little by little the language will creep up on you.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
If you fixate on Dorian over the IIm7, Mixolydian over the V7, Super Locrian over an altered V7 your phrasing will be technically correct but probably dry as toast. Try learning a bar or two at a time from the masters and analyze what is taking place in terms of how one phrase connects to the other and how they use chromaticism, enclosures and other devices. It helps to visualize the chords on the fretboard as you play the phrases.Then "plug in" the phrases over jam tracks or in songs you already know. Little by little the language will creep up on you.

Larry,

Wow, excellent response and spoken like a true transcriber! Pretty soon there'll be no need for me to chime in here at all. Laughing

Thanks for participating in the forum, Jeff. If I were to add anything to Larry's comments, it would be just to say that transcribing the language and assimilating it will get you to a point where you think/hear in terms of sounds and colors as opposed to scales. The latter are good to know as a point of reference (which I frequently will do), but far too limiting harmonically to adequately explain the content of a good solo.

Major, minor and dominant sounds cover all chord families. Inside, outside, and blues covers all possible colors within those sounds. It's a very simple philosophy based on the ear that explains anything you'll ever hear, yet at the same time encompasses all scales and modes.

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Transcribing & Learning by Ear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: