Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nylon strings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: nylon strings Reply with quote

just wondering if anyone ever used nylon strings on a bass. i have a 1964 silvertone hollowbody bass, and my friend that sets up my basses said i should put nylon strings on it because there's less tension on the neck. just looking for some input. thanks

let your fingers do the walking i do
nylenny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Corky, I've seen nylon strings used on stand up electric bass. I associate this setup with early rock, but I'm not sure if it's used in other styles.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: nylon strings Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
just wondering if anyone ever used nylon strings on a bass. i have a 1964 silvertone hollowbody bass, and my friend that sets up my basses said i should put nylon strings on it because there's less tension on the neck. just looking for some input. thanks

Corky,

Although I use rounds on my basses nowadays, I once had a Fender Jazz fretless set up with nylon tapewound strings, in essence the same type of strings that I use on my jazz archtop. Like Lenny just alluded, they have the look and feel of upright strings and are really good for jazz.

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mark and len

let your fingers do the walking i do
nylenny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Corky,

I recently picked up a Rick Turner Renaissance bass. It is supposed to be the type of design that is the closest you can get to a stand-up sound (in the fretless iteration at least).

The bass uses only a piezo pickup, which is not dependent on magnetism for its signal (instead, piezo crystals work on pressure fluctuations). Rick strings these with Thomastik Infield "Acousticore" strings, which have a nylon core (to produce more of an upright sound). They take a while to get used to, but they do have a great sound.

The Acousticore strings only work well with Piezo pickups.
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Nylon Strings Reply with quote

Corky,

There are several types of strings to which you may be referring.

There are many string choices for double bass. Although most players use steel, flat wounds these days, you can also get strings made from other materials, including gut, nylon, perlon (a type of nylon). Nylon strings are usually wrapped with metal.

For bass guitar, there are many choices as well.

I have a Rob Allen bass guitar that I string with LaBella black tapewound strings. Some folks think of these as nylon strings. They are really steel strings wrapped with nylon tape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> The Bass Space All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: