Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

customizing cheap guitars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John G

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: customizing cheap guitars Reply with quote

I have a friend who has some really nice expensive archtops, but when it comes to solid-body guitars he usually buys something very cheap and completely customizes it.

For example, he bought a Fender Squier guitar and upgraded the bridge, tuners, electronics, got a great setup etc. Now the thing plays and sounds great! He ended up spending about what a Mexican Strat would have cost him, but he says after playing both he would much rather have his guitar, and I have to agree. Cool

Do any of you ever do this? I'd like to hear about some of your project guitars.

John
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: customizing cheap guitars Reply with quote

John G wrote:

Do any of you ever do this? I'd like to hear about some of your project guitars.

Constantly! Laughing

The only untouched guitar is my Ovation acoustic. Otherwise all are modified, tweaked and tuned to a greater or lesser degree.

Pickups alone can make a lower end guitar a completely different animal but I most often do those and electronics (if needed), hardware (if needed), nut and some fretwork and a good setup and the results are pretty amazing sometimes.

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
marksound

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half and half ...

I have 3 Strats (2 built from parts, 1 MIM with a Baggs X-Bridge), a parts Tele, and a Squier 51 waiting to go under the knife. These are my main players.

There's also a Tele Custom FMT, Hamer SATF, SX GG1JR and Ibanez acoustic that are completely stock. They're fine the way they are.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
There's also a Tele Custom FMT

I like your tele man, guess I've said that before.. Laughing

I keep getting tempted to buy one of those but I'm still going to force myself to build it...and I'm just going to have to suffer until then! Evil or Very Mad

Even been tempted to cheat and ask Derek to do my a quilt with hum routes to speed up the process. Laughing

At this rate, I'll be fifty before the damn thing's on a table.

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
marksound

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel. I have wood enough for 2 complete guitars, plus a body and paddle-head neck in the garage that I've had for a long time. I finally cut the headstock last weekend. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: