Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

solid body

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thaydon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: solid body Reply with quote

can anyone recommend a solid body guitar i can play blues and bend strings and have the strings stay in tune? i would prefer a reasonably priced guitar.

Todd
woland99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: solid body Reply with quote

thaydon wrote:
can anyone recommend a solid body guitar i can play blues and bend strings and have the strings stay in tune? i would prefer a reasonably priced guitar.

I have to say my vote would go for Telecaster. Especially ones with
humbucker in the neck position. Very versatile guitar - very comfy
to play and you can find tons of MIM Teles on craigs for very little
money. Or even look for some non-name Teles - friend of mine
bought amazing "frankenstein" Tele - Japanese body and some unknown
nec - for $160 bucks. paint was scratched and dinged, bridge pickup
rusty but that thing could sing! He added Fralin pickup for the neck and
has great Tele for under $250.
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have 3 strats and a tele that stay in tune........the tuners are 21:1 I think........there is a tuner out there that is 40:1 which helps keep guitars in tune.Higher ratio less slipage...or locking tuners could help.set up could be off could cause some tuning problems.I also think some strings are better then others, and help with staying in tune.I do alot of string bending and till the new strings settle out, the guitar has to be tuned a little.For the most part they stay in tune.tempature changes can cause tuning problems ,too.You can buy a cheap guitar and make some small changes to help keep it in tune.As far as what brand of guitar to get...go to your local music store pick one up tune it and then bend on it and check the tuning...if it holds you got a good one.One of my strats has 5 springs on it and the trem is against the body.really tight I use 10's.SRV did something like that...but he used 12's.You can still use the trem but downward bending...I like the way it sounds.Stays in tune ,too.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see all the factors of a guitar staying in tune are pretty much touched on already, I thought I would hit them with a hammer (so to speak). Laughing

Four Primary Factors:

The Nut: The biggest factor on average, if the string binds on the nut. Example, bending a string, pulling on the string pulls it in the nut slot but when the bend is released, the nut doesn't fully allow the string to return to its original position..leaving it out of tune.

The Tuners: Basically the same idea as the nut but not so much an issue with binding but more so slipping. Even within the gear assembly of the tuner can 'move' when pulled on in a lower quality tuner. Also a poorly secured string when wound on the tuner can slip even on the best of tuners.

The Bridge: This is usually only a factor if it is not a 'hardtail' bridge. When a bridge isn't a 'locking' style and can be moved, it can not only not return to its original position, it can also induce the first two factors (Nut binding, Tuners slipping).

The Strings: All new strings stretch! String rigidity can also be affected by climate, moisture (sweat, humidity). Some strings don't seem to ever stop stretching but most eventually do. The heavier the string, the more stable its intonation will be, generally speaking. Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a G&L Legacy strat when I jam with my blues and rock friends. I can bend to the max and dive bomb all day and it NEVER goes out of tune.
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: solid body Reply with quote

thaydon wrote:

It doesn't really matter what kind of guitar it is, because it's different for everyone. You should find one that feels and sounds good to you, then make sure it is set up properly. That's the best way to do it.

By the way, "reasonably priced" to me is "cheapo junk" to a lot of people. Laughing
woland99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
I play a G&L Legacy strat when I jam with my blues and rock friends. I can bend to the max and dive bomb all day and it NEVER goes out of tune.

I have G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semihollow. That guitar stays in
tune for days but it had some work done on the nut. Plus I use Pyramid
strings (10s) - no stretching for those babies. Is it "reasonably priced" -
dunno - paid $950 for it - slightly used. But the moment I strummed the
first chord on it I knew I would take it home - instant chemistry.
One thing that tends to be iffy with ASAT is output jack - I had to
replace mine after a year - luthier had one hell of a time trying to remove
the old one that was machine-pressed (screwed?) into the hole in the
wood. Then he plugged the hole, drilled larger one and installed better
quality jack - with plate screwed on side of guitar. That was the only
problem I ever have with that guitar. It is light, comfy to play and
works for blues, jazz, fingerstyle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: