Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andreas Oberg - Jazz Guitar Virtuoso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Andreas Oberg - Jazz Guitar Virtuoso Reply with quote

Hi Folks! The current issue of Just Jazz Guitar magazine features my 8th major cover story interview to date, and my third consecutive NAMM (Feb) cover feature in the publication's most popular issue. As you can see from the graphic above, I had the pleasure of interviewing my great friends Wolf Marshall ('06) and Henry Johnson ('07) during the previous two years.

Btw, I also managed to get down to SoCal to hang out and jam with Wolf and HJ at Wolf's place in San Diego during NAMM week, which was simply incredible. Also finally got a chance to meet George Benson at the show. More on that later, but here's a shot of Andreas, Henry, and Wolf taken in the lobby on Saturday before returning to SD:

Last but not least, I composed a bebop tribute to Andreas entitled "Good To Go" (based on the chord progression from "Move"). The score was published in the same issue of JJG. To hear yours truly playing the head, click here. Enjoy!

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can see you had a great time at the NAMM.Wish I could have met you.A players player, does not get any better then that.You got the skills to thrill.Glad you made it back safe and sound.That sound clip was out there, loved it.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Well I can see you had a great time at the NAMM.Wish I could have met you.A players player, does not get any better then that.You got the skills to thrill.Glad you made it back safe and sound.That sound clip was out there, loved it.

Dean,

Thanks for the kind words, my friend. I also appreciate your participation in the VM Forum. I plan to take some active steps to ramp up the forum registrations and help initiate steady, active dialogue.

As far as NAMM is concerned, it was more of a calendar "excuse" to hang out and jam with Wolf and Henry. As anyone who knows anything about Wolf might imagine, his home is practically a museum of rare, vintage guitars and amps, plus he has an extensive library of books and recordings that is staggering to say the least.

Every one of his guitars has a unique history and story behind it. To actually sit there and play the same '38 black archtop (originally owned by Herb Ellis) that Howard Roberts used for almost all of his performances and recordings? I mean... you can just feel the life in that instrument. To thumb through Wolf's original Pat Martino transcriptions with such exquisite calligraphy, done on orchestral onion-skin parchment paper that was directly used to print masters in those days? To play a few licks with the same ebony pick that Pat used back in the seventies and later gave to Wolf? Well, I could go on and on.

Trust me, it was an extraordinary experience to hook up with my kindred guitar spirits. All for now...

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought meeting George Benson, and winning a prototype Vince Ray Fender guitar was special.That is what I love about NAMM... someone gets ,that once in a life time moment.You see things that will never happen again.....period.The mix of players ,is crazy sometimes, but the music is unreal.One can not buy the experence , it has to be lived.Even in the shape I am in , I had such a great time.....just took my time and still can never see it all.I know you were a kid in a candy store, even at our age it does not get old.....it really makes you feel humble and special at the same time.Mabe make a Music story of the week section, Humor, fun,special someone,etc. ,that happened to a forum member.I am taking two classes at the local JC and it is starting to make sence to me now.I am starting at the very basics, one note at a time.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
And I thought meeting George Benson, and winning a prototype Vince Ray Fender guitar was special.That is what I love about NAMM... someone gets ,that once in a life time moment.You see things that will never happen again.....period.The mix of players ,is crazy sometimes, but the music is unreal.One can not buy the experence , it has to be lived.Even in the shape I am in , I had such a great time.....just took my time and still can never see it all.I know you were a kid in a candy store, even at our age it does not get old.

Dean,

Special, indeed. Yes, there is most certainly the "kid in a candy store" factor, but also a bit of sensory overload for me. Of course I did make a lot of great connections, thanks to Henry and Wolf. And I have to admit that it was pretty cool to have several people recognize my name from Vision Music. The most riveting playing I caught was from bassist Bill Dickens on Saturday, working out on his 7-string. Perhaps the most amazing bassist I've ever heard.

I'm assuming that you caught GB's performance at the Ibanez booth? He's not an easy artist to get close to, because he's SO popular and well-loved, besides being blanketed by NAMM security officials and bodyguards. I'll post a few photos of our meeting with George in the artist lounge shortly, but in the meantime here's a couple of shots from our visit at Wolf's:

Henry playing Howard Roberts' famous guitar, with Wolf holding a well-known HR photo behind him. Wolf and yours truly on the right. All for now...

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is one of your favorites, too http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff185/rdplayer/namm40.jpg

met him last year,to cool.I will be playing jazz by the end of the year.

I'm assuming that you caught GB's performance at the Ibanez booth ? Yes that is where I caught him....got two sig's not peronsalized...he gave me the look.hahaha and a picture with him.Just really nice of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: