Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guitars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksound

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
...maybe it would be a good thing if guitar prices were higher for top grade stuff.Eveyone is not ment to own a custom or one off or what ever.Like anything if you want it bad enought ,you will earn it.

One problem with your idea is that a product or service is only worth what the market will bear (but you already knew that). Another problem is that more often than not, the people who don't deserve to have a custom one-off handmade instrument are usually the ones with the money to buy it.

Example: I'm a much better player than a lot of people (that's not saying much), but most of them can buy nicer instruments than I can afford. Sucks to be me, right? Not so much. I'm still a better musician than them. Smile

Bright side? The people who buy big and play small create a nice used guitar market. Eventually.
John G

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Dean wrote:
...maybe it would be a good thing if guitar prices were higher for top grade stuff.Eveyone is not ment to own a custom or one off or what ever.Like anything if you want it bad enought ,you will earn it.

Another problem is that more often than not, the people who don't deserve to have a custom one-off handmade instrument are usually the ones with the money to buy it.

Example: I'm a much better player than a lot of people (that's not saying much), but most of them can buy nicer instruments than I can afford. Sucks to be me, right? Not so much. I'm still a better musician than them. Smile

Bright side? The people who buy big and play small create a nice used guitar market. Eventually.

That was my first thought when I read that post. Rolling Eyes

It's unfortunate, but many times a musician's skill level and the quality of his instrument are not at the same level. And it's usually that the guy with the fanciest guitar is a less than exceptional player, not the other way around.

I don't see how raising the prices for guitars would improve that situation.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to put a little defense in here, Gibson Exec's have been quoted in saying they really didn't start selling guitars again until they jacked up the prices. Silly but true.

The other hand, I agree. Typically musicians aren't the most financially well off and historically it has been a huge problem on how expensive their 'tools' are in contrast to the amount of money they make.

This is my life experience: Once upon a time, I couldn't always afford the 'tools' I needed to do what I wanted to do as a musician. Now (not being a starving musician any longer) I can afford the tools but don't have the time to use them! Rolling Eyes

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the builders are going to love this ...a truly hand made guitar takes at least 130 to 150 hours to build more or less....and your right I do know priceing is what the market can bare, but guitars now are no different than anything else...the 60 year old driving a corvet or viper.That is why I said do your homework...I have seen $5000.00 crap and $50.00 fines.I also agree that alot of players that can afford them can not play.I will tell you I am one of those guys...I spent my life raising my family been mairred 31 years broke my neck five years ago and I'll leave it at that....I love music and guitars and amps,I spent years with $20.00 in my pocket just to give it up for one of my kids or something.I said that to say this...I waited 40 years to treat myself...don't hold it against me...The amps and guitars I have are like children I now have the burden of who will get them when I am gone.hahaha
The first guitar I had made a known player saw being made and he asked the builder how old the kid was having it built.I am still that kid.I am learning to play.If it helps one of my sons is a pro musican well kind of he's a drummer...hahaha
marksound

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The amps and guitars I have are like children I now have the burden of who will get them when I am gone.hahaha

See, that's where that cool used guitar market comes from. Wink
Dean

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See, that's where that cool used guitar market comes from.

You got me there....someone will really be getting some cool stuff in the future.Now alot of the guitars are comming from China...How does a custom guy compete.Yes the prices seem high...but they have to get support from somewhere and this is not China.Some builders can not afford their own stuff, if not for a buyer it would not exist.Any buyer
Sorry I am just not very good at expressing myself in writing....this is the first forum I have been a part of....I like the respect everyone shows in here.I can tell by the knowledge posted that the people in here are players.I have seen and met some of the greats and they have always been nice and respectful.I am pretty much retired now so I'am going to catch up to some of you playing wise.
masanfe

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Heritage Reply with quote

I am surprised nobody mentions heritage. I got a golden eagle trough e bay ( I took some risk ) and I am very satisfied.

I believe that heritage is a very good alternative as a jazz guitar
Dean

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many guitar companys now.....and all the top ones have a low end cost wise ...meaning built in Mexico, Korea,Japan,the big go getter now is China....a buddy of mine bought a DiPinto....they make all styles and shapes...and he loves them...He bought a les paul knock off and he loves it ...all under $500.00 new....He teaches and is a very good player.I guess it comes down to who you want to support and always how much you want to spend.Alot of these Chinese Guitars are well made and play good.It is going to be intresting how much China effects the market.Its like Japan 40 years ago...give or take a year or two.Here is another tip , there are a few chain stores that are looking to puting in music departments....like Best buy....circuit city....wal mart.....it could get interesting.Look out guitar center.
aiq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still a gibson fan...i've had:

SG standard
Les Paul jr.
Les paul standard

Telecaster for a while (hired gun in several country bands - good $$$$)

Santa Cruz Tony Rice model (sweet) quit playing for my living and was in a bluegrass band. really lead me to make the jump to trying to learn jazz from playing fast and listening to David Grisman.

'98 Les Paul Standard - black, really nice guitar, got it in '99 just traded it in (great quote!) on a....

Pat Martino Signature model, after examining two of them at the clinic. should take delivery in oct/nov. got the brown one. I've checked out several archtops and like many but decided to "seek the middle path".
Dean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Just to add a little more to this post Reply with quote

I just bought the wood and parts to build a guitar......$1300.00.... I want to add also that musicians IMO should start rasing their prices ,gig and teaching wise.I have had many discussions with a teacher friend of mine about this very thing.The price of lessons is still about where they were in the 70's.It's just musicians want to play and will not hold out for more, yes because some cut throat will do it cheaper.And everyone wants music for free.I guess it is just to hard to get people to band together and do what is right and fair for the cost it takes to do what musicians do.Also my friend just raised his prices and guess what ....he is still as busy as ever...... Brian said "Typically musicians aren't the most financially well off and historically it has been a huge problem on how expensive their 'tools' are in contrast to the amount of money they make"........some of this is self inflicted....Well just my two cents ,when I get all my parts in I will start a thread on the build.And yes I could of bought one ready to go for that price , but if you have not designed or built one you won't understand.Also this place has been a little quite so maybe this will stir the pot.
fingerpicker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: But what about Taylor? Reply with quote

I have a '72 Gibson Les Paul Recording guitar that has been around the world with me. I love that guitar except it is so heavy.

It was the best playing, best sounding, most flexible guitar I ever had... until recently. I picked up a Taylor T5 that has changed my life. It is everything the Gibson is, except heavy. Better playability, better sound, semi-acoustic, it is a shear joy to play. I can play any style of music with it and make it sound good.

Life is good! Very Happy
Dean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a little on the high price side ,but what craftmanship. http://www.jesselli-guitars.com/nouveau.html are these not some of the coolest guitars you have ever seen.My friend just made a set of 300B's for a guy ,and he is buying one of these to go with them.That will be one of the coolest setups ever.Hey Mark,I hope I live long enough to catch these on the used market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: