Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

257 users lets talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: 257 users lets talk Reply with quote

As of now there are 257 members on this site .Let's talk...guitar problems, questions,music ,gripe,who you are and how you doing,this is a great site .Loosen up and speak.I have only seen respect in here .Give it a shot.Alot of know how in here.Just tring to stir the pot .This is the first forum I have been a part of and I have come to enjoy it.Lets hear from you ok.Want to get to know all of you.
BarbNY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 253 users lets talk Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
As of now there are 253 members on this site .Let's talk...guitar problems, questions,music ,gripe,who you are and how you doing,this is a great site .Loosen up and speak.I have only seen respect in here .Give it a shot.Alot of know how in here.Just tring to stir the pot .This is the first forum I have been a part of and I have come to enjoy it.Lets hear from you ok.Want to get to know all of you.

Dean,

I totally agree! This forum has the potential to be a great resource for all. Yesterday, Mark posted an excellent "mini lesson" in "Lesson Central." It has been viewed over 400 times and mine has been the only response. What's going on here? These mini lessons are little gems, loaded with lots of tips we can all benefit from and use to move our playing up a notch. Thanks for speaking up, Dean, and saying what had to be said.
woland99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 253 users lets talk Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:
Mark posted an excellent "mini lesson" in "Lesson Central." It has been viewed over 400 times and mine has been the only response. What's going on here?

Not sure - I think that most users might have fallen victim to virtual
zombie dust of Haiti Wink It is sometimes hard to predict group
dynamic - it is often impossible to control it. I will keep posting - any
new theory references, interesting links (perhaps we should have
a Youtube rec swap section ?) and gear questions/news.

JT

PS. or perhaps everybody is in a deep woodshed mode...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think it's entirely JT's fault! Shocked

He scared everyone away! Oh my ?????

Laughing my buns off!

I heard the video area suggestion and I think it's a good idea too. Maybe we can even have a 'worlds worst jazz & blues video' poll? Twisted Evil

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 253 users lets talk Reply with quote

woland99 wrote:
PS. or perhaps everybody is in a deep woodshed mode...

That's me. With a full time job I still try to squeeze in three hours of daily practice Mon-Fri and five to six on Sat-Sun. Maybe one day I will have built up enough experience to offer worthwhile commentary.

Zombie dust of Haiti Confused
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little worried after I hit the post button...thought it mite be taken as who does this guy think he is ,so I was glad when it was taken as intended.I have just started on learning jazz....my son was home this weekend and explained the drummers part in jazz to me....he's the conductor sort of speak when in jazz mode.He has jamed with some top jazz guys and said he loves it .The drummer has alot of responsibiley when it comes to jazz.One day I want to be able to jam with him.He laughts at me with love and support . 254 members now....Hope to hear from you..
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. It is strange how quiet it got in here. This is a valuable site and it's wonderful to see the inspiring comments from all these accomplished players.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess I should say it too, I'm glad you said something Dean! It's been bothering me for a while.

The odd thing for me is (it's no big secret) I run another forum and had a relative problem but wasn't nearly as extreme as this. Back then, I had lots of questions to ask and could answer even more. After a while, things just rolled on their own and now it gets no less than 1,000 posts a month easy!

Now, I've asked pretty much every question I could ask and have answered just about anything imaginable at least 3x's! I just don't have anything left (other than teasing JT) so I NEED YOUR HELP! Shocked

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dean, did anybody ever tell you that you look like Joe Pass?? The resemblance is remarkable.

Very Happy

Dave
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave ,I get that a lot....I picked that picture from the list ,because I got to meet Joe Pass a couple of times before he passed....He was funny and a great player,one time on the floor him and a couple of guys just started playing .One of the guys said dis band gonna dis band after dis song,and then they begain to rip.I've been lucky enought to meet and see some great players.I go to NAMM almost every year sence 1990.It can be dangerous tho ,I 've seen stuff that would make you put your guitar up and give up.anyway thinks for saying Hi.Went to your site see you've been to NAMM too...........we have meet some of the same people.I have not flown a plane but I have drove a submarine.your one of the ones that sometimes make me want to give up.....your music and tone are tops.
BarbNY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 253 users lets talk Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:

That's me. With a full time job I still try to squeeze in three hours of daily practice Mon-Fri and five to six on Sat-Sun. Maybe one day I will have built up enough experience to offer worthwhile commentary.

Larry,
With your work ethic and this post, you are more than qualified to offer valuable advice. Go for it! We can all learn from you. Smile
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, thank you so much for the kind comments!! Joe Pass is a great player. I wish I had gotten to meet him. I heard him play a couple times. His versatility was really something. Have you heard Whitestone?? He seemed to be a total ear player that could play any genre. If I get to NAMM again next year we need to meet up.

Dave
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, I forgot to mention how cool I think it is that you drove a submarine. I have always been fascinated with subs. I tour them every chance I get. My last tour was a WWII version in Pittsburg. I can't imagine how scary it must have been to be under water with depth charges going off all around. I'll take a thunderstorm or hurricane in an airplane any day over that.

Dave
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 253 users lets talk Reply with quote

BarbNY wrote:
Larry_DC wrote:

Larry,
With your work ethic and this post, you are more than qualified to offer valuable advice. Go for it! We can all learn from you. Smile

Barbara,

Amen to that! Anyone who's heard Larry even a year or two ago would attest to how far he's come along. He's made tremendous progress on all fronts and is an excellent transcriber to boot.

Larry's work ethic and belief in the real world path is responsible for his growth, and for that reason I would listen to anything that he has to say. "More than qualified?" No question about it. I say keep up the great work!

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb and Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. It's interesting how practice time feeds on itself and grows without any conscious deliberation. When I started on Mark's LBM program I had been stuck on the method book treadmill and probably practiced only an hour or so per day. After a while I noticed the time had grown, so I keeping track of it every day. Pretty soon I was following Mark's advice and devoting specific amounts of time to individual objectives. The more I learned, the more I wanted to learn and I began to devote more time. I even bought a small guitar so I could work on technical problems during my lunch hour.Now I'm to the point where I need to apply discipline in limiting my practice time, or I won't get any sleep or errands done. It helps that fine players like Mark and Dave have steered me in the right direction Now I'm totally obsessed with absorbing everything I can from the masters. I even gave up skydiving so that I can spend weekends playing and transcribing instead of driving 100 miles just to hop out of planes. If there's anything I can share with beginning students, it's toss the method books and get with the LBM program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: