Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slide guitar setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Slide guitar setup Reply with quote

I would like to set up a guitar for slide. I've been told that it would help to install a taller nut in addition to raising the action. That makes sense, but I'm wondering if there are other methods that will work as well or better.
woland99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that taller nut is absolutely necessary.
Higher gauge strings and raising action a notch
should be enough.

JT
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JT,

It's pretty amazing. All I did was switch from GHS 011's to D'Addario jazz lights (012's)and my slide stays clear of the fret wires. I was able to leave the action right where it is.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tweek the pickups a little ,too......dial it in
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
You can tweek the pickups a little ,too......dial it in

Oh oh, you're getting technical. Beyond plugging in and hitting the "on" switch, I have to call in the cavalry.
Rocknjim

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Slide guitar setup Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
I would like to set up a guitar for slide. I've been told that it would help to install a taller nut in addition to raising the action. That makes sense, but I'm wondering if there are other methods that will work as well or better.

Hey Larry,
This is my first attempt at using this forum so I hope this works! Confused
I've been messing with slide quite a bit and there are only two things I've found that really make a difference in setting up the guitar: using heavier gauge strings and raising the bridge. I've never raised the nut. One other little tweak I have tried that is pretty cool is to use heavy gauge strings on the bass (E, A, D) and light gauge strings on the others. You can really hear the separation of bass/treble sounds when you do that. It's just one of those fun things to try.

It's also cool that you can play slide on any guitar in any condition. I have two dedicated slide guitars so I dont have to constantly retune my good guitars. I can just leave the slide guitar in G, D or E. It's hard on strings to constantly tighten/loosen to get to the right open tuning. The two guitars I have for slide were both free. One had a warped neck and the other a broken head stock. They were both headed to the trash bin but I rescued them and now they are "aslide" (acoustic) and "eslide".

I've tried all sorts of slides: glass, brass, copper, steel, rubber, wood and just about anything that will fit on my finger and can be used as a slide. You get a slightly different tone from each one of them and the thickness of the slide material also affects the tone. The "size" of the slide makes a difference in how many of the strings you can hit at one time. You might want the slide to go all the way across the neck and you might want to hit only one, two, three or however many strings at one time. Some slide players wear a huge "ring" on one finger and use that as a slide on individual strings.
There are different ideas on which finger to wear the slide on. You have to find the one that you like best. I wear mine on the little finger so I can lift the slide and play notes/chords/turnarounds/etc finger style and then go back to the slide. Lots of people use the ring finger. It's a personal choice and there is no right/wrong.
There is a good video course out on "Truefire" by David Hamburger that will give you some good ideas. There are some other video courses out there by other well known sliders that are also very useful. "Sheet Music Plus" has a couple great books ("Slide Guitar Roadmaps" and another by Hamburger) that come with a CD and are a great resource.
I try to listen to slide as much as possible. There are a bunch of great ones: Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Roy Rodgers, Rye Cooder, lots of others.

Ok, enough of my blabbing. I hope some of this is helpful but I suspect if you're like most of us who play slide, you've realized that nobody really "teaches" slide. If you want to play, you just go out to the woodshed, do your homework, strangle as many cats as necessary and eventually you learn to play slide. I love good slide guitar. It's as close as anything (musically) to the human voice and it has a sound and an emotion and a feel that is unique to slide.

Good luck, best wishes and keep slidn'.

Jim
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been play around with slide ,too.I don't do much ,but it is addicting.It make peoples eyes open up when they do not expect it.I am using the ring type slides for now,I have three of them in different sizes.They leave your fingers free to do all the things you normally do.

Rocknjim,good to see you here...Thanks for the slide input ,it was real good information to use.I need all the help I can get.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Slide guitar setup Reply with quote

Rocknjim wrote:
Ok, enough of my blabbing. I hope some of this is helpful but I suspect if you're like most of us who play slide, you've realized that nobody really "teaches" slide. If you want to play, you just go out to the woodshed, do your homework, strangle as many cats as necessary and eventually you learn to play slide. I love good slide guitar. It's as close as anything (musically) to the human voice and it has a sound and an emotion and a feel that is unique to slide.

Good luck, best wishes and keep slidn'.

Jim, that's great advice, don't consider it blabbing by any means. I actually ended up stringing 012's a cheap Epiphone 335 that masqueraded as a jazz guitar. It worked out well, because the thicker strings sit higher on the bridge and nut, so I didn't have to adjust for height. I checked out an Arlen Roth DVD for some beginner tips and have just put in the time since. You're right about it feeling very expressive, especially with just the right amount of vibrato. It's always fun to learn something new!

Thanks for your direction.

Dean, I'm not familiar with ring slides, but I will check them out.
nylenny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it easiest to wear the slide on my pinky, and I use my index, ring and middle fingers to fret notes. I use heavy strings, but I haven't raised the nut or the bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: