Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We’ve all seen the diabetes finger ads on TV with BB King

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRDMV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: We’ve all seen the diabetes finger ads on TV with BB King Reply with quote

I’m okay now at this age but I have a brother that is ten years older and he’s beginning to experience arthritis in his hands. What are we guitar lovers going to do when we get older and the chords and finger movements get harder? I understand from the literature that Les Paul’s hands are all knurled up from arthritis but he still manages to play and approximate chords. Does anyone have any experience with this and is there hope for us when we get there? I have a neighbor who changed to a “wheel” gun because he can’t rake the slide on his semi automatic anymore. I’ve never seen an old person with arthritis play the guitar but one day I’ll be that guy. Are there other guitars we can switch to when we get old?
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so happens I am at that point to some degree.I broke my neck 6 years ago and I have a lot of nerve damage,and arthritis in my neck now .6 months ago I damaged a disc in my lower back ,causeing pain and numbness to my lower half.But to answer your question I still find time to play.Just have to be willing to pay the price afterwards.My hands swell and go numb ,my arms cramp up ,my legs go numb ,too.I have good and bad days.....but I still have fun.It helps keep me going along with the drugs ...thats a whole nother storie.I never thought I would be in this position ,don't take your health lightly ....just enjoy it while you can.
MRDMV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean,

Thanks for your counsel. How long have you been playing?
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing at it for about 17 years, I just play for me.I am building a guitar now, my first build....I designed two others and had them built.I like blues and jazz.I started late.My oldest son is a pro drummer.To answer your question ,just look at Django Reinhardt his hand was disfigured.
MRDMV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean,

I just finished looking at some pictures of Django Reinhart's left hand in some early 1950's pictures and it looks like he pulled it through a knothole. I understand that his brother had to tune his guitar for him and his brother had to carry it around for him, although I did read somewhere that Django could tune it but it could take him up to five minutes to do so. Thanks -- his story is interesting and I liked that fact that he was forced at one time to play electric and he hated it.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRDMV,

Look for a video of Django playing. You almost think there's some overdubbing going on because it seems impossible for someone to play like that with a damaged hand.
MRDMV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Help me out here I can't find any video. Can you send me a link? I curious to see his playing. Thanks.
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6ZD1Igxr0
MRDMV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound,

Thanks for the link. I watched a few others too. When I watched your link he grabbed me by the lapels and shook me around. His playing is beyond reality. [/img]
fingerpicker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django is a clear demonstration that the music will out. It seems that we get wrapped around the axle when it comes to playing fast or using flashy technique. Django and guys like him take what they have and make great music. It puts in mind of the slide guitar player I saw one time that lost his arms in some sort of accident, so he learn how to play with his feet. That's a musician!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: