Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Guitar Build Reply with quote

Well I just finished my first guitar build....hollow body,birdseye top,quilted maple back,violin tail piece,steinberger tuners 40:1,bone nut,bolt on maple neck ebony fret board,s6 benedetto jazz pickup,benedetto pick guard,roller bridge archtop....I have pics but do not know how to get them on here.Gorecki I sent you pics ,but not sure you got them.It was fun to do this build and I learned so much.I am going to do another build ,for a young lady just starting guitar....she is very mature for her age and does not have the resorces to get extra things.My wife works with her mother and they and some of her daughters friends came over to swim and spend the day.She just really impressed me.I am going to let her be a part of the build and help.If anyone has any spare parts laying around and don't need them let me know,I have the wood coming.I'am starting tomorrow ,her mom is bringing her by and she does not know about it yet .She wanted me to tell her.

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dean!

I got your pic's and am very sorry I've been running like a madman (metaphorically and literally) and just getting ready to head out the door now.

VERY interesting build. Unique design. My first guess is it's a bit top heavy and the neck pulls down with a strap on? But none the less a cleaver build, love the back! Wink

Unfortunately only 'spare parts' I have are either junk or slated for a build I haven't finished yet (well four of them Rolling Eyes )

If you would like me to post up the pic's of your build, just let me know!

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Dean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki ,thank you I would like for you to post the pics.It is just slightly top heavy ,but I moved the strap button a little to balance it more.I mostly set to play and it is perfect for that.It plays very good and the pickup is killer.Thanks for your input.I will do better on my next build.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh..don't get me wrong, I think you did a fine build! Thumbs Up! You had the nerve to try something unique. That's not so easy. The reason it's top heavy is the same problem early builders (gibson, fender) threw away a lot of prototypes. The neck has to meet the body or into the body on average at about the 15th fret. This gives a pretty consistant counter balance. It's amazing the Gibson Flying V stayed in production because of this exact problem. But the heavy metal era gave the guitar life on otherwise a throw away design. Wink

I'll get your pic's sized and dithered probably tomorrw, I just walked in the door from a long day. Cool?

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic's are up! Awesome!

Dean, you should probably get this up at projectguitar as a guitar of the month entry...wouldn't hurt! Shocked

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,thank you very much for posting the picks,and for the site to post it on.I did move the strap button and sculped the pickguard on the fret end.Thanks again Ron
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,Thanks for the support.If I was building this for anyone but myself I would have started over...there are a few mistakes...but nothing to effect the sound or playably.I have to say I thought I would get a few comments on it....Good and bad...but like I always say I do things for me so it does not really matter what others think.This is the first complete build I have done and it was a great learning experence.Plus it gave me something to do.It took a long time to get the confidence to even try this,as you know it is harder then it looks.I am like anyone out there,I would like to hear good things about it ,but I can take the bad ,too.I like to put a little art in to things I do ,that is why it is shaped the way it is..I wish every guitar player out their would build at least one guitar,it really bonds you to the guitar in a different way then playing one.I am not the best player but the build has help round me out as a guitar lover.Also I went to that other site and joined ,gave them a little money...It is a great site, but I probably won't post to much on it,did send the guitar pic's in tho.Thanks again for your help.
fingerpicker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, I greatly admire anyone who has the wherewithall to produce a work of art. I just spent a few minutes looking at the pictures you posted and I saw a unique guitar which seem to me to be a clear statement of personal passion. Well done! Very Happy
Dean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingerpicker,Thanks for the input,I have sculpted the pickguard and moved the strap button.The carving in the head stock did not show up in the picture,it is alot more detailed then it looks in the pic.The next build will get the input learned on this build.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I wish every guitar player out their would build at least one guitar,it really bonds you to the guitar in a different way then playing one.I am not the best player but the build has help round me out as a guitar lover.Also I went to that other site and joined ,gave them a little money...It is a great site, but I probably won't post to much on it,did send the guitar pic's in tho.Thanks again for your help.

You got that right! Building and even full setups make a person *closer* to the guitar and understand it.

PG is a good place all and all. Made some good friends there over the years (even lost a couple). Once it's up, you'll get my GOTM vote! Wink

Again, great job...and remember, you will notice your booboo's more than anyone else will. Thumbs Up!

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,I sent my strat and tele designs to the Fralin Pickups post your gutiar site.Here are the e-mails I got back....

Cool looking guitars!!!
I'll make sure Lindy see's them..
Thanks,
Tom
Fralin Pickups
and

Ron,

Thanks for submitting your guitars to the Fralin pickups web site.

I just posted them.

Lindy really liked them.

Scott

....I used his pickups in the tele and the middle pickup in the snake strat is a Fralin unbucker.Their in his web site of customer gutiars with Fralin pickups.I thought that was pretty cool...and thanks for the future vote..hahaha I will send you new pic's when it is totally done, and the start of my new one.Thanks for everything !!!!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thumbs Up!

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: better pics Reply with quote

I just entered this (the mutt) in GOTM (another forumn) and I thought I would see what you thought about it.I designed two gutairs ,one the Snake Outcaster by Chris Siegmond and one the Blues Tele which I did in my head and pieced together, had Chris put it together for me.Chris took the time to show me alot of things and gave me the confidence to do this build.I am working on another build now ,it is the G.O. for a young person which I hope to instill the passon for Gutair. Thanks in advance for all input. Ron

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff185/rdplayer/
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm waiting for the voting to start so I can vote for it. Wink

There are few interesting instruments this month over there.

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go figure,haha.....I like that shark ,but the top book matched maple looks off some what to me for such a nice guitar.Maybe it's just the way it photoed.Still really nice.Thanks for the vote ,maybe the only one I get.I am starting to think ,different in the guitar world does not translate well.The guitar I built plays great and sounds really good.Tons of tone.

Last edited by Dean on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: