Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double Stops
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckyb251

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: MINOR PENTATONIC BLUES DOUBLE STOPS Reply with quote

Grab the C on the eighth fret of the high E string and hold it, with your index finger of your left hand. I use the middle finger of my right to pluck this note.
Anchor this double stop, an octave below, on the D string, at the 10 fret, using the ring finger of the left hand. Using the thumb or a pick to strike this note.

Now, play the octaves, simultaneously, using the right hand "claw" technique I've
tried describe above.

Maintain a steady beat on the high C, with your right hand, middle finger.
An octave below the high C, (D string-10th fret) play the minor pentatonic scale, (C,Eb,F,Gb,G,Bb) ascending and descending, with the thumb or a pick, matching up the notes of minor pentatonic blues with the high C on 8th fret.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MINOR PENTATONIC BLUES DOUBLE STOPS Reply with quote

luckyb251 wrote:
An octave below the high C, (D string-10th fret) play the minor pentatonic scale, (C,Eb,F,Gb,G,Bb) ascending and descending, with the thumb or a pick, matching up the notes of minor pentatonic blues with the high C on 8th fret.

Doug, right? Great to see you over here, buddy. Thanks for participating in our forum conversation. That DS move you're describing is one of my favorite approaches, and right out of the SRV playbook. I loved the way he would play those figures where he would slur from F to Gb to F to Eb using hammer-ons and pull-offs while plucking that high C, then bring it back home to the low C.

Contrast that with Benson, who does the same thing but often with his hand in the 10th position and anchoring the C on the B string instead of on the E string. A little more of a keyboard (organ) feel to my ear, but I enjoy doing them both.

Kb,

Glad you enjoyed the Blues for Del recording, and thanks for sharing that audio clip! Something tells me that we have MUCH more to discuss on the subject of double-stops, so let's keep this one rolling and I'll try to get more audio and notational examples posted. All for now...

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: MINOR PENTATONIC BLUES DOUBLE STOPS Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
That DS move you're describing is one of my favorite approaches, and right out of the SRV playbook. I loved the way he would play those figures where he would slur from F to Gb to F to Eb using hammer-ons and pull-offs while plucking that high C, then bring it back home to the low C.

Contrast that with Benson, who does the same thing but often with his hand in the 10th position and anchoring the C on the B string instead of on the E string. A little more of a keyboard (organ) feel to my ear, but I enjoy doing them both.

Mark, do you have an example of both moves in the same recording? It would be interesting to hear the contrast.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GB Meets SRV? Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Mark, do you have an example of both moves in the same recording? It would be interesting to hear the contrast.

Larry,

Whew, there are many examples that I could share from recordings I've done. True confession is that I sort of give myself a "Double-Stop Report Card" when it comes to using these kinds of figures, especially in actual blues and vamp solos. For what it's worth, I'm getting straight A's nowadays. Laughing

Check out my "GB Meets SRV" Chain of Fools intro in Bb, which includes an additional and related twist on the SRV side. This one alternates between the two positions (8th and 6th), opening with the one influenced by GB. However, check out the response that follows, using an index finger three-string bar at the 6th fret followed by a pair of ring finger three-string bars sliding between 8th and 9th.

Even though it's not the same as what Doug described, it still begins with a low Bb pickup and an octave skip, but that third tone really fattens up the effect. Then it's a quick shift and string rake executed in the 3rd position. I included just a few seconds of the head, done in octaves with chord punches. Full guitar solo forthcoming in the MGS series. All for now...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Blues double stops Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Kb,

Glad you enjoyed the Blues for Del recording, and thanks for sharing that audio clip! Something tells me that we have MUCH more to discuss on the subject of double-stops, so let's keep this one rolling and I'll try to get more audio and notational examples posted. All for now...

- Mark

Mark,

Here is a short audio sample of a blues rhythm part I'm working on.

http://specialneedsinmusic.com/xfers_temp/Kb_blues_rhythm_gtr_sample_08_0514.wav

I'm exploring different types of double stop accents;
in this example unisons and minor thirds and harmonics.

I'll develop this idea further and post again. At the moment
it rarely works out the same way twice. I'm looking to create a
sustained E dom 7 rhythm part with these accent types and
perhaps some other E dom chord voicings I can weave around the
open E/B strings. I'm hearing a fiddle player for the solo melody lines
and maybe bongo/egg shaker/other small percussive acomp.

-kb
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Memphis Blues Doublestops Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Kb,

- Mark

Mark, here is a transcription of the Memphis Blues idea I posted earlier.
I'm reworking the audio clip and will post it again.

-kb

Dean

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kb, that's old school blues,I like it.That would really sound cool on a resonator guitar.Thanks for the blues sheet.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Kb, that's old school blues,I like it.That would really sound cool on a resonator guitar.Thanks for the blues sheet.

Dean,

Thanks, man.

As much as I'm involved with technology and music, I'm
still very much an 'old school acoustic musician' at the core
(gotta remember where we come from Wink ).

Here at VM, looking to move forward and acquire
new technique and perspective.

-Kb
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Memphis Blues Doublestops Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Mark, here is a transcription of the Memphis Blues idea I posted earlier. I'm reworking the audio clip and will post it again.

Kb,

Excellent! Great to see someone else posting some notation. Wink Love the use of sixths throughout, one of my favorite double-stop forms to use, regardless of genre. Thanks for sharing...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: