Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comping and Walking Bass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Arranger's Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the bass clef! Wink Oh well, I guess progress has its costs. I think it would be great if you offered them separately. I can vouch for the product. It is top rate and worth buying.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bass Clef Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
I liked the bass clef! Wink Oh well, I guess progress has its costs. I think it would be great if you offered them separately. I can vouch for the product. It is top rate and worth buying.

Len,

Who knows... since the book was originally intended for both guitarists and bassists (all chords are playable on bass), perhaps I'll test the water with a bass edition. I had specific reasons for choosing bass clef, and as you may recall offered an explanation in the forward to help guitar players transfer their treble clef knowledge to bass clef.

The reality was that a low E can be indicated by just one ledger line below the bass clef, whereas the same pitch in treble clef is 3 lines and a space below. As a matter of fact, in treble clef most of the walk is on ledger lines unless I were to score them in the next register and include an octave down indicator. So it seemed like a tame way of getting guitarists into familiarity with bass clef instead of trying to decipher ledger lines.

I still think there's great validity and logic to that original approach, but after discussing the possibilities at length with both Henry Johnson and Wolf Marshall, I decided to opt for the more "guitaristic" format in treble clef, yet include tab to make it easier to break down the ledger lines. Overall I think it conforms better to what guitarists would ideally like to see. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Arranger's Workshop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: