Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Percussive Guitarists
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bass & Blue In Green Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
He has a couple of nice thoughts on his approach to learning/playing tunes that may be worth sharing;

Kb,

Okay, the bass video clip was cool, but I didn't really get a feel for the tune itself from it. I've played bass for almost 40 years and personally think that every guitarist should own and play one. Not to become a bassist per se, but to become a FAR superior guitarist and composer. I have a lot to share in that arena, so stay tuned.

As far as Eric's thoughts regarding arranging? Well, it certainly resonates with me and is pretty much "Chord-Melody 101" stuff, but since he isn't here and you are, I'm much more interested in hearing how YOU and other members of our forum approach a tune. I know that we have some excellent players here, so I'm all ears. Wink

For instance, have you arranged "Blue In Green?" Years ago I transposed it up a half-step just to get a HUGE sound out of the opening chord, so instead of Bbmaj7#11 it became Ama7#11 (X 0 X 13 14 11). All for now...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TE & Percussive Guitarists Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
With all due respect to some very good players (thanks for the links, kb), I'm with you 100% on the "consummate musician" front with regards to TE. He's FAR more that just a guitarist with some percussive "tricks" up his sleeve.

...TE also has a lifelong affinity for the blues, which shines through in his music, and it's something that I didn't detect whatsoever with these other "percussive" guitarists. Even if you were to remove all of his other elements and judge strictly on percussive imagination alone, in my book there's no comparison. All for now...

- Mark

Mark,

Certainly, Tommy Emmanuel is an excellent all around musician and
someone to hear, enjoy and learn from.

I think this 'percussive guitar' idea is worth some attention/discussion.
To hear other musicians who do it very well, although not the TE level,
is still valuable.

My professional experience is one from electronic and computer music.
I have often worked with choreographers and dance theater
people, making compositional contributions to dance theater productions.

Dance Theater people tend to love this sort of 'off the beaten path' kind
of music production. This percussive guitar idea can offer a very original, unique
flavor in a dance theater presentation.

( Please note; no matter what you do with the time, the dance theater people tend
to count in 'eight' for everything Wink )

In thinking about the practical work possibilities for musicians, though perhaps 'outside the
box' of the jazz band gig or the pursuit of the CD or DVD release, composing, sound design/performance
for dance theater/independent video/movies can offer an interesting, challenging and even fun
practical/professional experience.

The Blues/Jazz Blues all-around education available here at Vision Music is valuable not only
for guitar performance directly, but a most valuable component in developing 'compositional thinking'
from a 'practical experience' point of view.

All good for the creative and resourceful guitarist/musician/composer.

-kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Sun May 04, 2008 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: "Why Not" - Peppino D'Agostino Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
I think this 'percussive guitar' idea is worth some attention/discussion. To hear other musicians who do it very well, although not the TE level, is still valuable.

Kb,

Agreed. Even if some artists are more comprehensive than others, it doesn't affect the value factor whatsoever when it comes to learning or listening, although realistically some may hold your attention for much longer than others. In retrospect, perhaps this thread should be retitled Percussive Guitarists, as opposed to citing any one individual player. That would probably draw more readers to the discussion.

Thanks for sharing your background with other forum members. Speaking of sharing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmG6f2BMyw

I assume that you guys have probably heard this classic original before?

My youngest brother (Paul) is a brilliant acoustic guitarist residing in SF, my native city. Several years ago he was shocked to learn that Peppino and his family were literally living in his neighborhood, a block or two away. Anyway, Paul took some percussive guitar lessons from him, yet D'Agostino was also knocked out by what my brother brought to the table. Hmm.. I wonder if his older brother gets some credit for that? Laughing

Well, it all gets back to the "Grass Is Always Greener" subtitle of my "Rating Your Ability" article. In my book there's always something to be learned from a fellow player, regardless of their perceived level. "Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him" (Emerson). All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: