Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oscar Peterson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thaydon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Oscar Peterson Reply with quote

Mark;
You cite Oscar as an influence, could describe how so?
and what recordings you recommend to start listening to?

Todd
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick my nose in where not asked. Laughing

Just about anything he's ever done frankly! Live at the Blue Note CD's are just great quality recordings I've listened to a million times. But there are so many many he has done that are outstanding and fun material.

It was Mark who turned me on to Oscars greatness, and I just can't get enough. Just wish he was still with us. Confused

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oscar Peterson Reply with quote

thaydon wrote:
Mark, you cite Oscar as an influence, could describe how so? and what recordings you recommend to start listening to?

Todd,

The late Oscar Peterson has been my main jazz mentor for as long as I can remember, because his combination of blues and jazz mastery combined with his relentless hard swing is simply unparalleled. So much so that, with all due respect to my formidable guitar influences (without whom I'd be nowhere), I can't name one jazz guitarist who matches what OP brought to the table. So I figured, "Why not shoot for the top!" Laughing

Seriously, anyone can claim anyone to be an influence, but in my book you have to prove that you didn't just listen, but that you actually sat down and did all the hard work required to imitate and then assimilate their language into your own. With that in mind, I've probably transcribed as much OP as any guitarist around, and then I've spent years absorbing what I learned and teaching it to others. I like to believe that the results are at least somewhat obvious when listeners are exposed to my playing and composing, as well as the work of my students.

Specifics of what I've gleaned from Oscar? Great solos, licks, harmonic concepts, call & response phrasing, accompaniment, etc. All translated to guitar, which is both fun and challenging.

Oscar's immense discography is rather mind-boggling, but he was so good that you almost can't go wrong with anything he's ever recorded. Two of my early faves are Night Train (with his epic version of Duke's C Jam Blues), and The Trio Plus One, with trumpet legend Clark Terry. There are many others, and I'd be curious to hear comments from other forum members on Peterson's playing and recordings?

Mr. Gorecki,

Just spotted your post and I'm glad you found some time, given your crazy schedule, to come up for air. For anyone reading this, I'd just like to say publicly how much I appreciate everything that you've done for our forum! Btw, stick your nose in anytime you want. Laughing

- Mark
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool cat and I've heard my dad play Night Train countless times. I'll have to check out more of OPs recordings.

Don MacArthur
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don MacArthur wrote:
Sounds like a cool cat and I've heard my dad play Night Train countless times. I'll have to check out more of OPs recordings.

Don, I can recommend the "Stan Getz with the OP Trio" recording.
thaydon

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Oscar Peterson Reply with quote

I got two CDs from the library. A summer night in Munich with Ulf Wakenius on guitar and Oscar Peeterson plays the Duke Ellington Song Book with Barney Kessel on guitar for half the CD and Ed Thigpen on drums for the other half, Ray Brown is on bass. Great to hear the interplay among these musicians.

Todd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: