Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round Midnight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Jam Central Station
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Round Midnight Reply with quote

I had an interesting gig this week. We only played six songs so I had a lot of time work out on them. Round Midnight was the one I worked on the most. I used the JCS version to practice on. I liked the fact it didn't get too carried away with chord subs.

Some keyboard players I have played with get so into reharmonizing the changes I don't know where they are going.

Anyway, what I really enjoyed about soloing over this tune is the variety of things that work on it. I worked up some very tight ideas going through the changes, but ended up at the performance basically just playing Eb blues. We were there to entertain so I played for the crowd. I have found that the best way to fire them up is to throw some blues at them. It worked like a charm.

I guess the question is, do we go for an esoteric masterpiece or keep it simple and fire them up. If I was Oscar I could do both, but I am not.

Dave
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Midnight Reply with quote

Dave Illig wrote:
I had an interesting gig this week. We only played six songs so I had a lot of time work out on them. Round Midnight was the one I worked on the most. I used the JCS version to practice on. I liked the fact it didn't get too carried away with chord subs.

Dave,

One of my favorite tunes, too. I recorded a Wes-influenced octave version last year in the concert key (Ebm), but when I arranged it many years ago for solo guitar, I moved it to E minor to free up some open bass strings. Btw, didn't you mention performing Round Midnight recently in a duo context? Or was that this gig?

- Mark
thaydon

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Round Midnight Reply with quote

Dave;
I would be interested in hearing more about your blues ideas and where you applied them to this song. to be honest i have only played this song once in a combo setting and it didn't come off very well because it just seemed to drag, i am sure some octaves and chord punches would have helped. i have heard some recordings where the head is played only once....

Todd
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried soloing over this tune yet but when I do I'm going for the more bluesier route because that's what I like to hear. All jazz with no blues just sounds like a bunch of notes tossed in the air. I know what Dave is saying about too many chord subs, etc. After a point you can't even recognize the tune! On that front, I also like to stay close to the melody and not venture off to far.

Don MacArthur
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, have you tried soloing over the tune with a blues flavor yet?

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Jam Central Station All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: