Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying and Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Flying and Music Reply with quote

I thought we should move the aviation talk to a different spot. You know Goecki, we are not alone. Another member on here also has an aviation link. He jumps out of them!! Yes, while they are still flying. Insane, eh? Larry, if you read this, maybe you could explain your death wish. Confused Wink

Anyway, there is some kind of link there. I know a lot of aviation buffs that are into music. Musicians seem to make good pilots. I wonder why??

Goecki, do you still fly?? I miss my private pilot days.

Dave
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying and Music Reply with quote

Dave Illig wrote:
I thought we should move the aviation talk to a different spot. You know Goecki, we are not alone. Another member on here also has an aviation link. He jumps out of them!! Yes, while they are still flying. Insane, eh? Larry, if you read this, maybe you could explain your death wish. Confused Wink

Yeah, I use to have a lady friend who was a jumper. I still feel the same way. Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? I dunno?

Quote:

Anyway, there is some kind of link there. I know a lot of aviation buffs that are into music. Musicians seem to make good pilots. I wonder why??

They often make good programmers too! I was turned on to flying as a teen by a musician. The memories gave me the drive to get my ticket.

Quote:
Goecki, do you still fly?? I miss my private pilot days.

Not lately, at this point I'm not current. I came to the reality that all I was really doing after a while was just keeping current. Kind of takes the fun out of it when it's more of a 'have to' then a 'get to'.

Flying around here is not particularly fun. Between the ADIZ around the District, The P-40 restricted area constantly growing without notice and the insane cost of a rental, the use of the bird being very restrictive and then not being able to land on half the fields in the area, it became more effort then it was worth.

I expect in a few years when we leave this region, I'll go back get current and get my IR and possibly pick up a bird of my own....maybe someday. Rolling Eyes

I just have to get these forsaken creatures (children) out of my house first! Laughing

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave- if I had a death wish I would eat fast food on a regular basis Very Happy
We jumpers prefer to call it a life wish! One of my favorite quotes is from a mountain climber who was asked why he chose such dangerous activity: "Dying is just one way of losing your life."

Regarding Gorecki's question, I'm not sure the description "perfectly good" can be universally applied to jump planes. Sometimes I only felt safe once I exited the aircraft. Things are much better these days, but there was a time when a duct tape shortage would have closed many a skydiving center.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Regarding Gorecki's question, I'm not sure the description "perfectly good" can be universally applied to jump planes. Sometimes I only felt safe once I exited the aircraft. Things are much better these days, but there was a time when a duct tape shortage would have closed many a skydiving center.

Really? Oh my ?????

Was this long ago? FAA reg's these days would not stand for that sort of Non air worthiness. And if a spot check was done on the bird, it would be grounded for certain and the pilot's ticket suspended. Shocked

Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully we're talking about the "good" old days. Things are much different now. There was one time when a pilot decided to go for it even though one engine on his D-18 was rattling. When I left at 7,000 feet it was trailing smoke and making a noise like a 30 caliber machine gun. Safety wasn't always the number one priority. Maybe you can tell me if a C-182 was meant to barrel roll with 5 people aboard? Not that I was there those 3 times Wink
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I get you now Larry. You're as wacko as the pilot was to fly the in POS.

You most certainly got my respect!

I have to be honest with you in that why I think *you people* are nuts, is the friend I referred to earlier, on the first occasion of allowing someone else to pack her chute, in a nutshell it failed. The secondary came way too late and a few power lines and a lot of surgeries later she is doing just fine. Great Person! But wow, made me seriously reconsider jumping!

Dave Illig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flying and Music Reply with quote

Between the ADIZ around the District, The P-40 restricted area constantly growing without notice and the insane cost of a rental, the use of the bird being very restrictive and then not being able to land on half the fields in the area, it became more effort then it was worth.

Yes, it is a real mess these days. I hate going to DC and we are on an instrument flight plan getting vectored around. Too many opportunities to get violated.

Dave
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one time when a pilot decided to go for it even though one engine on his D-18 was rattling.

Hmm, that could have been me. I have a lot of time in DC3's and B-18 D models. If the engine was running it was still safer than jumping out of it. I have a friend that was a path finder in the marine core. He would jump into the jungle at night with four other marines and their dogs. He has some stories that you wouldn't believe.

Dave
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't running for long. A valve had broken and the piston was slamming it into the cylinder head, so the pilot dumped us and shut it down. I have a picture of the dented piston that one of the jumpers kept for an ashtray. Come to think of it the pilot did resemble you Surprised

Don't you just love DC-3's? It is SO much fun jumping out of them. The pilots once gave us zero-G as we approached the drop zone. That was almost as cool as the skydive.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
I have to be honest with you in that why I think *you people* are nuts, is the friend I referred to earlier, on the first occasion of allowing someone else to pack her chute, in a nutshell it failed. The secondary came way too late and a few power lines and a lot of surgeries later she is doing just fine. Great Person! But wow, made me seriously reconsider jumping!

It's always sad to hear about a fellow jumper getting hurt. Good to see she recovered.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Gorecki wrote:

It's always sad to hear about a fellow jumper getting hurt. Good to see she recovered.

In her case, it was extreme, she nearly lost her legs over it, she too HUGE voltage. Besides being an instructor, this is also a person who was a walk model for Wilhelmina and 5' 10" of gorgeousness! I had to let her go, it would have never worked out. Confused Yeah..I'm an idiot! Laughing

MRDMV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note – do you recall that John Denver a wonderful guitarist was killed when his experimental plane crashed into Monterey Bay?
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, John Denver crashed because he ran out of gas. Sadly he had plenty of fuel, but didn't or couldn't switch to the tank with gas in it. The success rate of celebrities and aviation isn't very good. I wouldn't blame it on the airplanes. One exception is John Travolta, he takes it very seriously.

Dave
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Illig wrote:
One exception is John Travolta, he takes it very seriously.

No kidding! How many of us can say we can fly and dance! Laughing my buns off!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: