Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doubling on Bass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thaydon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Doubling on Bass Reply with quote

Larry;

"Rest stroke" is a phrase used in classical guitar technique, where the finger after plucking the string "rests" or remains on the string underneath the string just plucked. So for example, if you pluck the open 2nd string, a rest stroke with the index finger would follow through until it rests on the 3rd string. Using rest stroke allows the player to control and vary the volume of the note by subtly applying more pressure to the attack of the string. Rest stroke allows the player to get a fuller tone if applied correctly (i.e., using a combination of flesh and nail). For example, if you use free stroke on the 1st string 3rd fret (G), and then play the same note on the second string fret 8 (G) you can hear the difference especially on a nylon string guitar. Segovia was known for getting a rich full tone by doing the above while also adding vibrato. I studied with one of his students for a summer and it took me many years to incorporate these ideas into my playing.

Todd
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

I'm going to sign off and try this on my guitar. I don't quite get why the finger should rest on the lower string as a way to control volume. Can't the finger remain in the air after striking the note? Maybe it will become evident after I try it.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubling on Bass Reply with quote

thaydon wrote:
I studied with one of his students for a summer and it took me many years to incorporate these ideas into my playing.

Todd,

I can relate to that. However, it should also be pointed out that the reason it's more challenging on guitar than on bass is due to the fact that the rest stroke is typically combined with free strokes, so that the melody is distinctly heard above the accompaniment, creating the illusion of two instruments.

This version I recorded of Tarrega's Adelita is a good example of that combination. Btw, it also took me a long time to get a grip on this technique, as I originally taught myself how to play classical guitar and therefore had some bad habits to break. I mean, it's not exactly like playing blues. Laughing

Fortunately for someone getting into bass, using rest strokes actually feels normal because you're mainly dealing with a single-line melody.

- Mark
thaydon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Doubling on Bass Reply with quote

Quote:
the reason it's more challenging on guitar than on bass is due to the fact that the rest stroke is typically combined with free strokes, ..

Mark;

Nice version of Adelita.
And even within the free stroke technique it is a challenge to bring out the different voices for example in Villa Lobos etude number 5.

Larry;

Some teachers advocate with rest stroke that you "push" into the string and towards the sound hole and then rest on the adjacent string to exaggerate the volume of the note.

Todd
Dean

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see I'll be getting a bass in the future.I already have the amp.I have always liked the bass.It seems to go with all instruments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: