Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knowlton Basses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Knowlton Basses Reply with quote

hey mark i seem in one of the post that you have a knowlton 5 string bass. i checked out the site there really nice basses but how are they playing wise. i'm looking to purchase a new bass in the near future.

let your fingers do the walking i do
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Knowlton Basses Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
hey mark i seem in one of the post that you have a knowlton 5 string bass. i checked out the site there really nice basses but how are they playing wise. i'm looking to purchase a new bass in the near future.

Corky,

Knowlton's basses are excellent in every way. Sound, playability, and appearance. I love the fact that he gives a name to each of his instruments. Here's "Bad Dog" front and back:

It's my first 5-string and I'm VERY pleased with it, plus his prices are reasonable, too.

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark how do you have it tunes b,e,a,d,g or e,a,d.g.c.

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 5-String Tuning Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
mark how do you have it tunes b,e,a,d,g or e,a,d.g.c.

Corky,

Low B, my friend. I may indeed get to that high C someday if I ever get a 6-string Laughing. Btw, speaking of 6-string and beyond, have you ever heard Bill Dickens play? He's a close friend of Henry Johnson (they used to play together with Ramsey Lewis), who introduced us during the recent NAMM show in Anaheim.

Bill was working out on his 7-string at the Rapco booth. Here's a shot I took of him that is currently appearing in Just Jazz Guitar:

Do a YouTube search for the man they call "The Bass Buddha" to hear an absolutely unbelievable bassist. Great jazz chops, funk chops, beautiful chord-melody work, plus he sounds like a mix of Benson and Martino when he improvises. Very scary. Many of today's well-known and acclaimed bassists are reluctant to get on stage with him, for good reason. Really nice guy, too.

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mark . i have the double dvd , what a player and he seems like a real down to earth guy. he one hec of a thumb. some of those 32nd patterns he does are crazy. i'm lucjk if my thumb even hits a string other then to mute. another monster play i've been listening to a reading alot about is victor wooten. thats one musical family there boy. and another down to eart bassplayer. talk to ya later mark

corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mark i was just wondering how you like the bill lawerance pickups in you knowlton 5 string. i'm shopping around for a set of jazz pickups for my frettless, and jp pickups for my other bass also. thanks jeff

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Lawrence Pickups Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
hey mark i was just wondering how you like the bill lawrence pickups in you knowlton 5 string. i'm shopping around for a set of jazz pickups for my frettless, and jp pickups for my other bass also. thanks jeff

Jeff,

Excellent pickups! One thing about Mark (Knowlton) is that he's really on top of the pickup/tone thing. He stops by occasionally on the weekend for me to try out his new instruments, and I have yet to play one of his basses that had anything less then a stellar sound. All for now...

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kool. thanks mark Very Happy

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 5-String Tuning Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Bill was working out on his 7-string at the Rapco booth. Here's a shot I took of him that is currently appearing in Just Jazz Guitar:

Just stumbled into this, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BASS! Got a bit of a Prince - Purple Rain thing about it..but none the less..stunning!

Gotta check him out on youtube. Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pretty sure that the budda has a 9 string also he mentioned it on one of his videos

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Dickens Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
i pretty sure that the budda has a 9 string also he mentioned it on one of his videos

Jeff,

Henry (Johnson) tells me that if Bill could play a 20-string bass, he would. Laughing Of course, all that really counts is what you do with the strings you have, and what I saw him do with his 7-string at NAMM was electrifying! I can see why so many top bassists (like Vic Wooten and others) are blown away by what he brings to the bass table.

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know when i watch the dvd i have to pick up my jaw off the floor. Oh my ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> The Bass Space All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: