Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Tools
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Pro Tools Reply with quote

I'am going to rant a little.I got pro tools 7.4 with fast track ultra ok.I just spent two days till 4 in the morning tring to install it on my pc.J#$% C#$% what a pain.Needless to say, it would not launch,so my son will get the new pro tools and he will find me something else.I think he planed this all along.haha Well on the good side,I get to go get a shot in my back today,maybe that will work,I sure hope so.It is hard to concentrate when you hurt and I need to be able to for guitar pratice.Well thanks for the outlet ,now I can move on.haha So no tunes from me yet...your safe for a little while longer.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pro Tools Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I'am going to rant a little.I got pro tools 7.4 with fast track ultra ok.I just spent two days till 4 in the morning tring to install it on my pc.J#$% C#$% what a pain.Needless to say, it would not launch,so my son will get the new pro tools and he will find me something else..

Dean,

*Pro Tools must see a hardware interface* or it will not launch. Make sure your USB connection is stable.

Are you 100% certain that the 'Fast Track Ultra' is 'compatible' with Pro Tools?

At the M-Audio web site on the 'Fast Track Ultra' page it states;
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra-main.html

Compatible with *most* major audio software*, Fast Track Ultra lets you record the way you want—in the studio or on the go.

*Compatible with all ASIO- and Core Audio-based applications.

It doesn't specifically mention Pro Tools. (?)

Check with the sales people who sold you the product.
You're also entitled to free tech support on a new purchase.

M-audio is an 'authorized Pro Tools development partner', but they
are not Digidesign.

-Kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Thu May 29, 2008 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the support ,and they said it mite work,but I have the xp with the media package so they said it mite not work on my pc.Something about the design of my pc .The M unit is compatible with pro tools,the pc just has to support it.I'll get something a little less tricked out to use.My son has the mac 5 so he will not have a problem using pro tools.Thanks for the input.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I'll get something a little less tricked out to use.

I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, so I hope I'm not playing it out too much;

For audio, there is the *free* Audacity;

Both Mac and PC compatible

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Audacity Windows Download;
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Audacity Downloads;
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Audacity doesn't support midi, so if you need to convert midi files to audio,
another app is required for that purpose.

Additional 'optional' installers include;

- 'Lame' MP3 encoder which allows Audacity to *export* MP3 files.

-'VST Enabler' which allows Audacity to load VST plug-ins.

In addition to the software, a hardware 'audio interface' is also required to record your instrument.

-Kb
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kb,I think I am leaning to a stand alone unit....but I will look at this unit ,too.Your help is not played out,it is just hard to find out what works for me.Your input is always welcome.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pro Tools Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:

are not Digidesign.

Actually, yes they are. AVID acquired M-Audio a while ago. AVID is Digidesign. That's why the 'M-Powered' line from M-Audio came into existance because they are owned by the same collective. Wink

RON -
If you are running a Windows 'Media Center' version, it likely IS your problem. Not the system, the OS. I've heard many times it causes serious problems with audio tools, if they work at all.

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pro Tools Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
kbgtr001 wrote:

are not Digidesign.

Actually, yes they are. AVID acquired M-Audio a while ago. AVID is Digidesign. That's why the 'M-Powered' line from M-Audio came into existance because they are owned by the same collective. Wink

Brian,

I'm well aware that 'Avid' is the 'controlling force' behind Digidesign,
and now M-Audio. I've been on Pro Tools since the Mac Nubus time around
1995. Been on 'Sound Designer' by Evan Brooks too, back in the day.
In fact, I still have my 7100/80, use it for 'Lexicon Nuverb.' I had a lawsuit
with Digidesign sometime ago, after their takeover by Avid.

Let me Clarify; what I mean when I say 'they are not 'Digidesign', is that
M-Audio has been around as an independent audio company prior
to being acquired by Avid (and hence Digidesign).

Unlike Digidesign, not all of the M-Audio audio interfaces have been Pro Tools compatible.
In Dean's case, no matter what the cause of the issue, Pro Tools is simply not seeing the interface
and therefore not launching. His immediate recourse, as a recent buyer, is the free tech support
and of course some online forum input. I'm a long time Apple Mac user, and dabble with PC
when I need to ( please, let's not go down the Apple vs PC road; life is just too short. Wink ).

Speaking of ancient computer systems, I still have my Atari 1040 ST with Dr. T's
KCS sequencer. Great software for manipulating midi data and building song
tracks Smile.

-Kb
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh..I see, you're well aware. Wink

I still have a fully functional Protool v2 442 rig on an Apple 8100. Haven't used it in years but the units have great D/A converts even for todays standards.

So that aside:

RON - I've been using an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card and an Audiophile Firewire unit and have been completely satisfied with both units and M-Audio in general. Also have some of their Midi I/O units and their Oxygen 8 controller. Pleased with everything I have from them.

I can't give any support or recommend continuing fighting with the ProTool path. For what it does and costs, it really offers no benefit over anything else IMO. I've been using Cubase v3 (best over all) and Live v6 on two different DAW's. Very different softwares from each other but, both very capable packages. There are a billion reasonably priced VST plugins available and some of my most frequently used are freeware. Wink

My 2 cents.

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Atari 1040 ST with Dr. T's KCS Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Speaking of ancient computer systems, I still have my Atari 1040 ST with Dr. T's KCS sequencer. Great software for manipulating midi data and building song tracks Smile.

Kb,

Emile Tobenfeld (aka "Dr. T") was certainly WAY ahead of his time, eh? With all of the advances in computers and software, it's amazing that someone could design a MIDI sequencer 30+ years ago that for sheer editing power and creativity still blows away anything since.

Btw, math was my worst subject in school. I credit most of my education in that arena to transcribing and editing with KCS! Laughing

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Ahh..I see, you're well aware. Wink

I still have a fully functional Protool v2 442 rig on an Apple 8100. Haven't used it in years but the units have great D/A converts even for todays standards.

I can't give any support or recommend continuing fighting with the ProTool path.
My 2 cents.

My recorders from the late 80's were
Otari Mx 5050's (2 track and 8 track);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcZpQXKgS2c (not exactly the same model, but the clip serves a ref)

http://www.otari.com/product/audio/mx_5050b/index.html

Did most of my editing on a Revox A77 - ( always worked from a standing position Wink )

http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/A77.htm

http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/A77-MK3.htm

My first 'digital recorder' was a Toshiba VCR with
a built in Sony PCM-F1 capability.

My first Pro Tools editing job - just bought a Pro Tools TDM rig;

http://specialneedsinmusic.com/xfers_temp/Trumpet_Voluntary.wav

This 'Trumpet Voluntary' was recorded in 1995 at a Church in Queens New York.
The church was selected for its Organ.
There were many edited takes to splice together; Learned a lot about Pro Tools editing on that gig.

It was recorded 'Direct-to-DAT' (2 channels) - ORTF micing
with a pair of Schoeps microphones. Three day recording job;
the first 4 hours or so were spent positioning the mics and the
the two trumpet players.

There is no reverb added; what you hear is the space itself.

Prior to that I did have a background in
Electronics from the 'Marine Corp' (became a marine at age 17).
My discipline was electronic crypto-graphics, with a specialty in encrypted teletype.
Studied at the famous electronics school at Fort Monmouth, NJ.; School at Ft Monmouth
was only one year, but classes were eight hours a day five days a week. That is pretty
close to a three or four year college program.

There is a whole music thing associated with all this.
I studied classical music formally 'later in life',
from about age 26 at the Music Conservatory at Brooklyn College.
Studied classical guitar and other 'classical' music disciplines
and acquired a Bachelor and Masters degree in music -composition-

Somewhere along the line the music and electronics 'fused together.' I became very much
a part of the 'New York downtown music scene'; with John Cage, Alvin Lucier, Pauline Oliverors etc.
I have another completly 'unrealted to electronics' music life (double-life)
around acoustic music.

The other time consuming/wasting road to travel is the 'Pro Tools vs everything else'
path. My viewpoint; Get whatever works for you. Wink

-Kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 7 times in total
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Atari 1040 ST with Dr. T's KCS Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
kbgtr001 wrote:
Speaking of ancient computer systems, I still have my Atari 1040 ST with Dr. T's KCS sequencer. Great software for manipulating midi data and building song tracks Smile.

Kb,

Emile Tobenfeld (aka "Dr. T") was certainly WAY ahead of his time, eh? With all of the advances in computers and software, it's amazing that someone could design a MIDI sequencer 30+ years ago that for sheer editing power and creativity still blows away anything since.

Btw, math was my worst subject in school. I credit most of my education in that arena to transcribing and editing with KCS! Laughing

- Mark

Mark,

Emile Tobenfeld is a brilliant man. Nice (brief) article about his
development of 'Dr T' software;

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n9/drt.html

I wish the current crop of midi apps could come somewhere near KCS.

gotta love this; Smile

"..Btw, math was my worst subject in school.
I credit most of my education in that arena to transcribing and editing with KCS!"

I just received my new bass; gonna check it out ( but that story is for another thread Wink ).

-Kb
Dean

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and info ,guys.I will let you know what I come up with .Then I'll be able to post my killer licks on here.By killer I mean they mite kill you ,from laughing.

I'am starting to feel like I've entered a guitar think tank.Got all this wisdom and talent to draw from.Just hope to be able to contribute in kind.This forum has so much great info,from people that know what they are talking about and live it.

The shot in my back is starting to take effect,I played my guitar almost all day today,and progressed a little.Thanks again Ron
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no recording tools yet,as I have not posted anything yet....maybe the guitar gods don't want me to rune your hearing.Hopefully in the future,who knows, maybe I will be able to play by the time I get something to record with.Well hope everyone is doing fine,and it won't be much longer.hahaha
nylenny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, I am incredibly low tech. I used to use Pro Tools with nice microphones. But the technology got in the way. It was too difficult to set up. And with all the complications possible in the software, I spent a lot of time tweaking. I now use Audacity (free software) and a Blue Snowball microphone. It couldn't be simpler.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny,

Audacity looks like a pretty good product. Is it easy to learn the basics? I'm comfortable with technology but I'm tired of the huge manuals that are included with everything these days. Do you mike your amp when you record?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: