Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz/Blues CD Collection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corky4strings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Jazz/Blues CD Collection Reply with quote

i'm just starting my cd collection so far i've purchased wes montgomery smokin' at the half note, christian mcbride live at tonic, ken burn's jazz the story of america's music. and 2 dvds, george benson live at montreux 1986, and robbin ford in concert on some german tv show . i was just wondering what else to buy, i've started a list from reading thru the pages here. on my list is grant green, joe pass, kenny burrell. plus i have the tapes from mark that i'm working on. when i go to the jazz section i just don't know what to purchase ? unless if there a bass player and i've either read about or heard them.

let your fingers do the walking i do
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jazz/Blues CD Collection Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
i'm just starting my cd collection so far i've purchased wes montgomery smokin' at the half note, christian mcbride live at tonic, ken burn's jazz the story of america's music. and 2 dvds, george benson live at montreux 1986, and robbin ford in concert on some german tv show . i was just wondering what else to buy, i've started a list from reading thru the pages here. on my list is grant green, joe pass, kenny burrell. plus i have the tapes from mark that i'm working on. when i go to the jazz section i just don't know what to purchase ? unless if there a bass player and i've either read about or heard them.

Corky,

Have you visited the Suggested Recordings page at Vision Music? I created that feature for the specific purpose of sharing many of my all-time favorite recordings, and to hopefully cut down the mountain of potential choices out there. Beyond personal comments, the links for each artist and their CDs takes you directly to their listing at Amazon.com for additional information, reviews, etc. Hope you find the page helpful in building your collection. All for now...

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i didn't . thanks for the info mark.

Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky, if you're looking for solid blues language, check out "Blues The Most" by Hampton Hawes. Lots of major blues, swing, and bop. Not all the cuts feature guitarists, but Barney Kessel and Jim Hall shine. The piano and sax lines are very adaptable for guitar.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks larry i added it to my list of cd's i'm ordering

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: "Music In the Key of Oscar" Reply with quote

Corky,

Since you mentioned DVDs earlier, be sure to pick up "Music In the Key of Oscar," which chronicles Oscar Peterson's rise in Montreal as a jazz piano star, his historic collaboration with bassist Ray Brown and guitarist Herb Ellis, his association with Norman Granz and the famed JATP (Jazz At The Philharmonic) concert tours and recordings, and much more. Great concert footage throughout. A "must-have" for any fan of jazz and blues!

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mark

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corky, you mentioned bass. I know it's listed in Marks page but to reiterate - Jaco Pastorius original release is an institution in and of itself. It inspired many to be great bass players and quite a few others as well.

My favorite bass player is Gary Willis of Tribal Tech fame. He sticks to strongly fusion based material but is an outstanding player. I'm a little biased because my little brother works / has worked with him numberous times...but still. If I could have any bass player in the world to work with of choice, it would be Gary.

Finally I would say Ray Brown is the best 'walker' the world has ever seen. I couldn't isolate a certain release but I enjoy anything he's been involved in. Live at the Blue Note recordings with Oscar Peterson are wonderful digital masters and listen to them frequently.

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i bought superbass, w/ ray brown, john clayton& christian mcbride. and also bought jaco live and outrageous. another bass player i like to listen to is matt garrison. i have all 3 of his cds. i don't think i ever heard gary willis, but probably did on the radio and didn't know. but gary will be on my growing list of cds to buy . thanks for the info gorecki. thanks again corky

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
another bass player i like to listen to is matt garrison. i have all 3 of his cds. i don't think i ever heard gary willis, but probably did on the radio and didn't know. but gary will be on my growing list of cds to buy . thanks for the info gorecki. thanks again corky

Well if you like Garrison, I'm pretty sure you'll like Willis. Ironically as I said before Willis is the bass player my little brother worked with dominantly in the past...Garrison is the bass player he works with most frequently now. Garrison is part of the Scott Kinsey Group...what are the chances of that? Razz

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just looking at g.willis web site, and watch a couple of the youtube videos. i like him he's a great player. another bass player i really like a lot is niels-henning orsted pedersen. the album is called jaywalkin' to bad he passed away at the age of 50. my friend has a dvd of him jamin with ray brown and oscar peterson its called the oscar peterson trio`77 jazz in montreux. another bass player i listen to is otiel. from otiel and the peace makers. he also plays with the allmans, and aquarium rescue unit.

Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though of another one: The Jazz Icons Wes Montgomery DVD is the bes' of Wes you'll find on video.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up a cd today that i'm enjoying very much it called peterson/pass/pedersen- the trio

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Trio Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
i picked up a cd today that i'm enjoying very much it called peterson/pass/pedersen- the trio

Corky,

That one's quite the "Chops Fest" between those guys. I still have my LP version in storage in the garage, the cassette tape version, and I picked up the CD a couple of years ago. You know, it's one thing to improvise that fluently on piano or guitar, but what NHOP was doing on an upright bass was just unreal. Have you seen him and Pass doing "Donna Lee" on YouTube? Scary!

Btw, when I interviewed Ulf Wakenius for the cover of Just Jazz Guitar a few years I got to know a lot more about him, because when Ulf wasn't on the road touring with Oscar he was part of NHOP's working band.

- Mark
corky4strings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kool i'd like to here some of them road stories. going to my buddies house to burn about 100 cds from his 190plus gigs of jazz from the library at phildelphia school of arts. hope he has a/c its hot without it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Best Study Practices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: