Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's Compare "Notes"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Arranger's Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Let's Compare "Notes" Reply with quote

Mark, I have a suggestion. How about if you pick a song that will not scare everybody away and those of us who are so inclined will take the time to arrange it and submit our version? They could be notation or audio files. It would be interesting to compare interpretations.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, that's not a bad idea at all! We could have a 'transcription of the month' or the like competition, then setup a voting poll. Only complication would be hosting files. I like it! Cool

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Compare "Notes" Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Mark, I have a suggestion. How about if you pick a song that will not scare everybody away and those of us who are so inclined will take the time to arrange it and submit our version? They could be notation or audio files. It would be interesting to compare interpretations.

Larry,

Yes, that is precisely what I would like to see in both this and the JCS topic areas. Differing spins on how you, I, and others might handle a standard that most recognize, or a common turnaround sequence, or in the case of JCS different approaches to improvising over changes.

I'll put together a short list of song possibilities once I get past my LBM deadline, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a tune of my choosing. Any number of classic ballads would be a good starting point, with just the title of the song as the forum topic.

Btw, my brother (Paul) and I are in the midst of developing a stunning new guitar visual/aural learning breakthrough that we've literally created over just the past 48 hours. Stay tuned...

- Mark
slimm70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coach, Regarding this topic, I've been trying to find comping solution to St. Thomas(Sonny Rollins). I'm not sure I can add anything of value but I'd like to hear/see how others approach this tune.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: St. Thomas Reply with quote

slimm70 wrote:
Hi Coach, Regarding this topic, I've been trying to find comping solution to St. Thomas(Sonny Rollins). I'm not sure I can add anything of value but I'd like to hear/see how others approach this tune.

Dave,

Nice seeing you over here, my friend. I would've responded sooner but I've been crushed with both deadlines and doing some major website revision work (1200 pages of coding - whew! Wink ).

St. Thomas is a deceptive tune because it appears easy, yet the rhythm, which blends cut-time latin (two beats per measure) with a calypso twist, takes a bit of practice to get down. I prefer comping fingerstyle so I can control the staccato phrasing like a piano player. In either case, whether strumming or fingerstyle, it requires an active right-hand and a focus on cut-time rhythm, so if you're tapping your foot be sure to keep it at two beats/taps per measure.

In the left-hand, I like going back and forth between using three-tone short chords (aka "shell voicings") and conventional 4-tone seventh chords. All for now...

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry wrote:

Quote:

I think this is a great idea. We should get this going again.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solo Guitar Arranging Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
I think this is a great idea. We should get this going again.

Len,

I'm certainly game if you guys want to do it. Any ballad standard done in rubato ("free time") would be ideal in order to keep the attention focused on the harmony, which is what I always intially recommend regardless of the final outcome.

With the holidays right around the corner we could always opt for some Christmas tunes that lend themselves to jazz-oriented changes, like:

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

"The Christmas Song" (aka "Chestnuts Roasting....")

"I'll Be Home for Christmas"

"White Christmas"

I've done all of the above in a variety of keys, but often do a medley in C, which is a great and neutral key for comparing notes. Of course, it goes without saying that there are countless choices within the ballad arena alone, but in my book any arranging discussion is a positive thing to do. Keep in mind the possibilities surrounding intros and endings that can be applied to many other tunes, in addition to verse and bridge sections. Thoughts? All for now...

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can add a Jewish song to level the playing field???
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jewish songs... Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
Maybe we can add a Jewish song to level the playing field???

Len,

<LOL> Like I said, I'm game for anything. The tune is just a vehicle to discuss arranging approaches, so put up a list of ballad faves (including Jewish faves, if you wish Wink ) and let's have at it! All for now...

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lenny,I am from the south ,so I was thinking :
Ya'll have ya self a merry Christmas
Pork rines roasting
Someone will be here for Christmas
Color neutral Christmas

Here's one for you
We got money to spend on Christmas....hahaha

Just playing with you,but hope everyone does have a nice Christmas this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Arranger's Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: