Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenny Burrell
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

Hi! Just a quick note to any KB fans (my hand's up Smile ) regarding Wolf Marshall's long awaited book/CD:

Many of you are aware of the fact that Wolf and I are very good friends and also write for The Guitar Pages in Jazz Improv Magazine, so it's no surprise that I get asked on a regular basis about the book. Let's just say that it went through a number of legal snags that delayed production.

In either case, the great news is that it's now in the can at Hal Leonard and officially awaiting release, so we can finally say "real soon now" and mean it! There are only four master discs in circulation, and I happen to have one of them.

Believe me, this will be well worth the wait. Stay tuned...

- Mark
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I'll be jumping in on that one.

Could you tell me something, is the CD as in CD audio or CDROM, that always comes across as a bit confusing not knowing?

Just asking because I love taking things with me on the road. I soak up material, If I can take it with me, I'm sooo much better off for it. Wink

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Well I think I'll be jumping in on that one.

Could you tell me something, is the CD as in CD audio or CDROM, that always comes across as a bit confusing not knowing?

Just asking because I love taking things with me on the road. I soak up material, If I can take it with me, I'm sooo much better off for it. Wink

Brian,

Hmm.. I take it that you might not be familiar with Wolf Marshall's line of book/CD sets? If so, let me just say that you're in for a real treat no matter what you buy and leave it at that! Very Happy

Audio CD all the way, so you can play it in the car, home stereo (and PC, of course). Btw, when I did his cover story interview for Just Jazz Guitar Magazine in Feb '06 we centered on many of his books covering notable jazz guitarists, like Wes, Charlie Christian, Grant Green, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, and George Benson.

- Mark
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Hmm.. I take it that you might not be familiar with Wolf Marshall's line of book/CD sets? If so, let me just say that you're in for a real treat no matter what you buy and leave it at that! Very Happy

Audio CD all the way, so you can play it in the car, home stereo (and PC, of course). Btw, when I did his cover story interview for Just Jazz Guitar Magazine in Feb '06 we centered on many of his books covering notable jazz guitarists, like Wes, Charlie Christian, Grant Green, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, and George Benson.

Thanks for the clarification. I know we've even discussed them before but every time I think to look up information on them. It doesn't really clearly say "Audio CD", it just says CD so being a techie nerd my first reaction is...okay, there are about 50 CD formats out there...what is it? Huh?

Now I know. Wink

4gcole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

Just jumping into the forums!! Should be alot of fun! And educational too.
I really like the Wes book that Wolf put out. Lays it out...and I listen to it and sing with it alot while I'm driving (I drive ~150 miles a day). I find the little jems I want to learn and dive in when I get home.

So I highly recommend his books along with your 2 courses as under cuts...Swing: Doorway to Jazz (very true this course leads you down the RIGHT path to learn AND HEAR Jazz...no BS on that course) and Rhythm & Blues.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4gcole wrote:
Hi Mark

Just jumping into the forums!! Should be alot of fun! And educational too.
I really like the Wes book that Wolf put out. Lays it out...and I listen to it and sing with it alot while I'm driving (I drive ~150 miles a day). I find the little jems I want to learn and dive in when I get home.

So I highly recommend his books along with your 2 courses as under cuts...Swing: Doorway to Jazz (very true this course leads you down the RIGHT path to learn AND HEAR Jazz...no BS on that course) and Rhythm & Blues.

George,

Thanks for the kind words and great to see you over here! You know, I still remember that first phone conversation we had many years ago (and I believe you were driving at the time back then, too Laughing ).

Wolf's books are the best out there. It was Henry Johnson (Chicago) who first introduced us. I feel blessed and privileged to know such kindred spirits, and hope to eventually get them over here. Btw, say hello to Michael for me and tell him to drop on by the forum.

- Mark
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you fellas are certainly getting my interest up even higher. I spend 3 hours a day on the road (use to be 5-6 hours before I drew the line). A lot of wasted time and from the sounds of it I'll be getting the chance to make better use of! Peace!

Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Favorite Burrell Recordings? Reply with quote

Too long since anyone has posted in this topic, especially for a player who is so revered across genre. Kenny's not only a great jazz guitarist, but one who grabbed the attention of players ranging from B.B. King to Jimi Hendrix to SRV. Extremely rare for a jazz guy.

Any favorite KB recordings? Some of my all-time faves are "Blue Bash" and "Organ Grinder Swing" (w/Jimmy Smith), "Have Yourself A Soulful Merry Christmas," and "God Bless the Child." KB was the first guitarist who inspired me to want to play jazz, because of his undying love for the blues.

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to meet Kenny B. ,a few years ago.He played about three or four songs, to be honest I had never heard of him.I think he and Pass started me on the jazz quest.They were so layed back and just ripped when playing.My buddy and me went back stage and got his atuograph and picture.He was really nice.I feel very humbled to have met so many great players ,and seen them play in a small gathering.I stood right across the piano from Stevie Wonder and he was with Herbie Hancock.Got a personal song of, You are the sun shine of my life.Like Mark ,Henery ,And George....such talent,yet so nice and giving.Looking forward to the book ,let us know when and where.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! I haven't seen the book but I'm sure it's great. Wolf always does fantastic work.

I'll second all of Mark's recomendations. "Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas" is my absolute favorite xmas record. Really it's not just a great xmas record, it's an all around, fantastic jazz guitar record.

A couple of live ones that I love are
"Night At The Vanguard" and "At The Five Spot Cafe".

Also, "2 Guitars" with Jimmy Raney. "Soul Call" is another one I like a lot but you don't hear it mentioned much.

How about BB King's "Live at The Apollo". BB with a big band that includes KB and one of my favorite pianists, Gene Harris. I love this one.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
I'll second all of Mark's recomendations. "Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas" is my absolute favorite xmas record. Really it's not just a great xmas record, it's an all around, fantastic jazz guitar record.

How about BB King's "Live at The Apollo". BB with a big band that includes KB and one of my favorite pianists, Gene Harris. I love this one.

Brad,

Great to see you over here again, Blues Man! BB's always had a penchant for jazz guitarists with a deep affinity for the blues (like KB), and I really dig Gene Harris but I don't have that one. Thanks.

Btw, Henry (Johnson) told me that when he was a teenager he transcribed all of Kenny's epic xmas recording. Holiday aside, you're right that it's simply a great jazz guitar recording from top to bottom. And I'm sure you're aware that my version of Merry Christmas Baby was inspired by the one on Kenny's CD?

Speaking of blues-oriented pianists like Harris, if you check out the first four bars of my first solo chorus, you'll hear Oscar Peterson meets Wynton Kelly meets Kenny Burrell. Laughing I just love blending influences, and KB's impact has been HUGE for me. All for now...

- Mark
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, great to see you again also! BB has always said that KB was his favorite guitarist. A lot of blues players are fans of his for good reason. I think it was Hendrix that stated "KB is the sound I'm looking for" or something like that. I should note that on "Live at the Apollo" Kenny is barely audible except for an occasional chord punch. So you wont hear a bunch of great improv from him on this one but the band is great! I just love these records where blues guys get the royal, big band treatment. Charles Brown has a few records like this that are amazing.

Check out the allstar cast for Live at the Apollo....
Quote:
Personnel: B.B. King (vocals, guitar); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Jeff Clayton, Jerry Dodgion (alto saxophone); Plas Johnson, Ralph Moore, Gary Smulyan (tenor saxophone); James Morrison, Joe Mossello, Glen Drews, Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet); George Bohanon, Robin Eubanks, Paul Faulies, Urbie Green (trombone); Gene Harris (piano); Ray Brown (bass); Harold Jones (drums).

Mark, You definitely captured KB's soulful vibe on Merry Christmas Baby and added some of your own spice along with it. Fantastic as always!
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few other WM books. All are really good books and well worth the money. I particulary like the George Benson book/CD and will be first in line for the new KB book/CD (I was wondering when it was going to come out!). BTW, Kenny Burrell is one of my all time favorite "jazz" guitarist because of his heavy dosage of the blues and what he does seems attainable by us mere mortals.

Don MacArthur
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: BB, KB, GB, & WM Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
Mark, You definitely captured KB's soulful vibe on Merry Christmas Baby and added some of your own spice along with it. Fantastic as always!

Brad,

Thanks, Blues Man. Also for listing the lineup on BB's Live at the Apollo recording. Speaking of BB collaborating with jazz guitarists, I assume that you have his '78 recording w/George Benson at the Bottomline in NY? Even though GB is on only two of the six tracks, it's one of my all-time favorite recordings. The way BB introduces George and his wife as being in the house, only to have Benson shout out that he wants to sit in with him? What happens after he takes the stage is electrifying and pure magic if you love the blues.

Don MacArthur wrote:
I have a few other WM books. All are really good books and well worth the money. I particulary like the George Benson book/CD and will be first in line for the new KB book/CD (I was wondering when it was going to come out!). BTW, Kenny Burrell is one of my all time favorite "jazz" guitarist because of his heavy dosage of the blues and what he does seems attainable by us mere mortals.

Couldn't agree more, Don. Wolf is the consummate guitar author of our time. No one else is even close. What makes him even more remarkable is his depth of knowledge across several genres, and he's a great player yet one of the most humble and nicest guys you'll ever meet. Marshall's also a huge part of guitar educational history. He was at the forefront of the TAB revolution and having full-length solo transcriptions in major music magazines, as well as producing so many of the first wave of instructional videos from great guitar virtuosos.

Hanging out and jamming with him and Henry at Wolf's place in SoCal earlier this year was one of the most inspiring times of my life. Can't wait to do it again. Wink

- Mark
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, It was probably more inspiring for WM and HJ to be able to sit in and play along with you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: