Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenny Burrell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindred Spirits Reply with quote

Don MacArthur wrote:
Mark, It was probably more inspiring for WM and HJ to be able to sit in and play along with you!

Don,

Well, very kind (and flattering Wink) for you to say something like that, but it's really not a matter of who is inspired most when the three of us are together. There is a mutual inspiration that stems from what we share in common. One is the real-world core language that stems from many years of transcribing and studying great artists. Another is our strong affinity for and belief in the blues as the cornerstone of great jazz.

And last but not least is a pure passion for sharing that knowledge with aspiring players, who are so often misled by supposedly "credible" teachers and learning institutions. Three kindred spirits, for sure.

- Mark
thaydon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

I enjoy Kenny Burrell with John Coltrane album and especially listening to Freight Trane.

Todd
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add Lyresto to the list. And I think Blue Lights is one of the coolest KB albums, from the Andy Warhol cover art to those great lines in Scotch Blues.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lyresto Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
I'll add Lyresto to the list. And I think Blue Lights is one of the coolest KB albums, from the Andy Warhol cover art to those great lines in Scotch Blues.

Larry,

That's one of my all-time favorite Burrell tunes. It drove me nuts that I could never find a lead sheet for it in any of a dozen or so fakebooks, so I finally broke down and transcribed the head and changes from the original recording (not easy Wink ) many years ago, and continue sharing it with my students to this day.

Btw, I would have done a Good Vibes Jazz Solo edition to match the version at the Jam Central Station page, but I was concerned about the interest due to the tune's relative obscurity when compared to more well-known bebop classics.

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lyresto Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Larry wrote:

Larry,

That's one of my all-time favorite Burrell tunes. It drove me nuts that I could never find a lead sheet for it in any of a dozen or so fakebooks, so I finally broke down and transcribed the head and changes from the original recording (not easy Wink ) many years ago, and continue sharing it with my students to this day.

- Mark

There is a nice collection of Kenny Burrell video available at youtube.
A few links;

'All Blues'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p1ipftv39YU

'Summertime'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bbZ_O1Qxpco

Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkLbjHnhA8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMbHPHtQhCg

-kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Thu May 14, 2009 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgtr, thanks for posting those videos. Kenny playing All Blues on the acoustic is really special.
thaydon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

What is also great to see is Kenny playing with Bill Evans on a Child is Born in another video. Burrell and Evans are two of my all time favorites so to see and hear them together is great.

Todd

Last edited by thaydon on Tue May 20, 2008 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
kbgtr, thanks for posting those videos. Kenny playing All Blues on the acoustic is really special.

Larry_DC, absolutely. He changes instruments toward the end of the
of bass solo. When KB returns at time 3:32 he has the archtop. Clearly
hear chords on the acoustic at 3:08, 3:10, 3:12, 3:17. Different 'energy',
interesting way to generate 'variation' in the piece.

-Kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Fri May 23, 2008 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: God Bless the Child Reply with quote

Todd wrote:
What is also great to see is Kenny playing with Bill Evans on a Child is Born in another video. Burrell and Evans are two of my all time favorites so to see and hear them together is great.

Speaking of that tune, one of my all-time favorite KB recordings is "God Bless the Child" (originally released on CTI in 1971). Personnel includes Ron Carter, Hubert Laws, Ray Barretto, and Freddie Hubbard. Besides this tune and the title track, "Do What You Gotta Do" (in Wolf's new book) and "Love Is the Answer" are tunes that I've enjoyed playing and transcribing. As a matter of fact, the very last lick that Kenny played on the latter track was barely discernable in the fade, so to remember it forever I used it as the theme for my Blues for Kenny tribute to Burrell. You might recognize the "Chitlins Con Carne" backing track from the JCS page. All for now...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: From Mambo to Hip Hop Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
...Personnel includes Ron Carter, Hubert Laws, Ray Barretto, and Freddie Hubbard.
- Mark

Perhaps off topic;

Speaking of Ray Barretto, I had an opportunity to experience the sound
and culture of great latino musicians from NYC's South Bronx when I worked on the
acclaimed documentary 'From Mambo to Hip Hop' with director Henry Chalfant.

I was a mixing/mastering engineer on that piece of work. Watched the premiere
at the Lincoln Center 'Walter Reed Theater.'

'From Mambo to Hip Hop' Part 6;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_sXczdN9cw&feature=related

'From Mambo to Hip Hop' Part 2;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5euW9GGwxM&feature=related

Really excited my interest in 'percussive guitar' (and playing 'stickball' in the street Wink )

Mambo to Hip Hop: A South Bronx Story features:
Eddie Palmieri, Ray Barretto, Benny Bonilla, Orlando Marin, Manny Oquendo, Willie Colon,
El Extreme, Africa Bambaata, Kool Herc, Charlie Chase, Fabel, Kid Freeze, Track II, Trace, Bom 5,
Sandra Maria Esteves,and more. The film presents a panoramic view of the music that blossomed
in the latin community of the South Bronx from the late 1940’s when mambo burst onto the
New York cultural scene through the birth of hip hop in the 1970s. The film chronicles two generations
who grew up literally on the same streets, and both used rhythm as their forms of rebellion - for the older
generation it was the pulsating rhythms of Cuba; for their children it was the rhythms of rap. The film, designed
for public television and possibly theatrical release, aims to bring attention to the Bronx neighborhoods and
communities who, with few resources, transformed the world and pop culture.

Mambo to Hip Hop: A South Bronx Story, release January 2006, an hour long documentary
produced by City Lore, Inc. and directed by Henry Chalfant.

-kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
thaydon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

KB;
Nice video clips of the documentary.

Mark;

Great tune and soloing on Blues for Kenny, thanks for sharing the tune.

Todd
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: From Mambo to Hip Hop Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Perhaps off topic;

Some other links on youtube.

Miles Davis & John Coltrane- 'So What';

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QhjwVy7Ng&feature=related

--------------

George Benson 'This Masquerade';

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RpEfAV1T5b0&feature=related

miles davis tribute; George Benson 'All Blues';

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ucr8lI9gU&feature=related

George Benson - 'On Broadway';

http://youtube.com/watch?v=voNjeUUcdSo&feature=related

George Benson & McCoy Tyner Trio - 'Stella by Starlight';

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LUwIDafNTTc&feature=related

-Kb

-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

Todd wrote:
Great tune and soloing on Blues for Kenny, thanks for sharing the tune.

Todd,

Glad you enjoyed the tune and my work. If you ever spend much time transcribing KB (as well as just listening to him), you'll hear a lot of his phrasing influence in my solos. I've often heard people say that Burrell's a simple player, but when you try to actually play what he plays, what appears simple isn't that easy at all to execute. Kenny has some highly deceptive slurring techniques and (of course) I've been chasing his BIG tone for as long as I can remember. Wink

Kb,

YouTube links always appreciated, my friend. However, there are literally tons of great video clips over there if you simply do a search for any artist. Have you seen the video of "Blue Mist" from Vestapol's "Legends of Jazz Guitar" with Kenny, Barney Kessel, and Grant Green? Perhaps it's been mentioned in the forum and I just missed it, but if not it's worth checking out.

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kenny Burrell Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Kb,

YouTube links always appreciated, my friend. However, there are literally tons of great video clips over there if you simply do a search for any artist. Have you seen the video of "Blue Mist" from Vestapol's "Legends of Jazz Guitar" with Kenny, Barney Kessel, and Grant Green? Perhaps it's been mentioned in the forum and I just missed it, but if not it's worth checking out.

Mark,

Youtube is certainly, as you say, an amazing resource for video clips.

I happened onto the George Benson; thought the 'On Broadway'
and 'This Masquerade' videos would be interesting and appropriate
since they are discussed in the curriculum here at VM.

I downloaded the 'On Broadway' clip and added it to my 'project folder'
with 'On Broadway' JCS jam tracks and charts. I keep the 'Jazz Blues Assembly Lines'
'On Broadway' bonus PDFs/midi files in that folder too. Did a little hunting through the video clip
and at time 2:07 and discovered 'phrase 1' from the set;

http://www.visionmusic.com/jazzblues.html

Sweet.

I'll search around some more and see (hear) what lurks.

Need to get these things while they're available; can disappear quickly.
Chet Baker is a good example. Most of the Baker videos were suddenly removed from Youtube.
Apparently over a copyright dispute with the 'Toronto, Canada Chet Baker Foundation.'

I think it's truly sad. Chet Baker was being rediscovered and newly discovered through the presence
of those video clips on Youtube. I 'purchased' a number of Baker tracks because I had seen those video clips.

I mentioned the Miles Davis/John Coltrane 'So What' video clip simply for its 'cool' factor.

Thanks for the "Blue Mist" tip.

-kb

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Thu May 22, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: On Broadway Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
I downloaded the 'On Broadway' clip and added it to my 'project folder' with 'On Broadway' JCS jam tracks and charts. I keep the 'Jazz Blues Assembly Lines' 'On Broadway' bonus PDFs/midi files in that folder too. Did a little hunting through the video clip and at time 2:07 and discovered 'phrase 1' from the set

Kb,

Yes, that's a classic GB move from that epic solo. You really have to nail those staccato 8ths just right to match his funky phrasing. I know that one like the back of my hand. So does George, as I was amazed to hear him play the original solo note-for-note during a live performance at the South Shore Room in Lake Tahoe, just a few years after the release on Weekend In LA. It validated the notion of having a "model solo" associated with a recording. Obviously, he went back and learned it after the fact, so for me at the time it completely dispelled the myth of a great improviser never repeating himself (another great topic for discussion).

Even though I plan to start a GB thread shortly, here is my rendition of On Broadway, recorded last year. Instrumental head, as I don't quite have the vocal ability of Mr. Benson. Laughing Backing track courtesy of the JCS page. The solo's available in my MGS series. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: