Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Rating Your Ability"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: "Rating Your Ability" Reply with quote

Hi! Given the nature of the recent "Dime A Dozen" thread, I thought all of you might like to read the following article:

RATING YOUR ABILITY - IS THE GRASS REALLY GREENER?

One of the most fascinating tendencies of guitar players, bass players, and musicians in general is that of routinely downplaying their talent and ability in the presence of other respected artists. I'm as guilty as anyone of this human failing, and I'd like to take some time in this edition of "Coach's Corner" to discuss this interesting issue.

First of all, I might be just a little bit off-base in calling the tendency a "failing," because surely one of the main reasons for it lies in our own ambitious desire to improve as players and see a brighter tomorrow. There's certainly nothing wrong with that at all, but in so doing it's easy to take for granted even the small things that we've managed to accomplish over a period of time. What things are those, you ask? Well, I could cite many, many examples, because it's only natural that a music coach would face this frequently during the course of lessons and conversation. Allow me to elaborate, so you can relate more specifically to what I'm talking about.

For starters, it's pretty common for a player to have developed a skill related to a given style, like being a more competent rock player as opposed to blues, or blues as opposed to jazz, or country as opposed to classical, or... well, you get the idea. If the player in question (i.e. you) has a strong desire to extend their acquired skill to another area, then it's very typical for them to greatly admire and respect those who are already there.

With regards to stylistic goals and viewpoints, one thing I should point out is that the very best players in a given style are usually those who have been obsessive within their path, often avoiding other forms in their own personal quest to be the best rock, blues, jazz, country, or classical player that they can be. As far as I'm concerned, this is a great thing, because it makes those players also the best ones to be influenced by, due to their highly concentrated efforts. I can't imagine where I'd be as a musician without the substantial influences of Wes Montgomery, Oscar Peterson, Jimi Hendrix, Charlie Parker, George Benson, Miles Davis, B.B. King, and so many others, yet each of these legends is best noted for being superb within a certain stylistic niche.

Okay, what about technical or theoretical ability related to the instrument of choice and style? Many players that I coach, for example, are far more skilled with a pick as opposed to their fingers, and sometimes vice versa. Some are clearly more at home on the electric guitar as opposed to the acoustic. Some possess quicker left-hand speed and power than others. Some are decent sight-readers, while others are terrible at it. Some play mainly by ear and know very little theory, while others are exactly the opposite. In every single one of these instances, the tendency is to want the ability that we lack (and see in others), and to occasionally get a little frustrated and depressed that we haven't achieved it. Of course, that's where reality and the work ethic comes in.

So, is the grass really greener on the other side of the fence? That's debatable, because as much as it would be nice to do something as well as someone else, we are all uniquely different, and sometimes even a great player you admire might be staring back at you over the same fence, and thinking the same thing. Hard to believe? Not really.

Now, I won't go so far as to call myself a "great" musician, yet my students are often amazed at what I play, arrange, or compose. The personal irony for me is that I'm just as often impressed by what they do well and take for granted. So work hard, but don't underrate your ability!

- Mark
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I wish I had your writing ability.I think most players are humble,because deep inside we know there is always something that someone will come up with that will blow us away.The guitar has a limitless supply of surprises that have not been taped,that and you usually don't know who your talking to.It's just best to be humble then to be embarrassed.Plus I don't look at the guitar as a contest of who is better then who,but more like a respect and shared knowledge setting.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Mark, I wish I had your writing ability.I think most players are humble,because deep inside we know there is always something that someone will come up with that will blow us away.The guitar has a limitless supply of surprises that have not been taped,that and you usually don't know who your talking to.It's just best to be humble then to be embarrassed.Plus I don't look at the guitar as a contest of who is better then who,but more like a respect and shared knowledge setting.

Dean,

Yes, the only "contest" is the one within ourselves, because how we are perceived as players by others is a completely subjective issue. There are things that my mentors can do that I might never be able to do, but guess what? The opposite is also true. That's one of the points made in the article.

My writing ability? Well, it has not been an overnight affair. Like anything else we do well in life, whatever talent I've acquired in the literary field stems from years of experience. In my case almost FIFTY years.

I composed, hand-copied, and distributed a weekly neighborhood newspaper when I was 8-years-old. By the time I was 12-13 I was submitting articles and short stories to magazines like Reader's Digest, proudly waving my rejection slips, knowing that I could be as "bad" as any other unsuccessful author out there. Wink

Then it was on to high school. I hated English but loved journalism, so as the editor of the school paper they gave me straight A's in English. What a deal, eh? I also despised business, but ended up the top typist in my school (125 wpm back then) because I was so involved with writing. It's amazing what we can accomplish, regardless of the field, if we are passionately driven.

Anyway, before the guitar swept me off my feet at 18, I never dreamed of making a living in music. I was a journalism and art major, but the irony is that becoming involved in music education at an early age (21) started a process where eventually everything came full circle as an artist involved in all three fields. Years and years of transcribing great players and observing students has put me in a position where I now have something both valuable and important to share with others. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Coach's Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: