Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snowball USB Mic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Snowball USB Mic Reply with quote

Hey Gear Heads,

Anyone ever try the "Snowball" USB mic from Blue Microphones? They claim that it's the first professional-quality USB mic on the market, and after reading enough 4-5 star reviews I decided to plunk down the $99 yesterday. I've been wanting to get back into some acoustic guitar recording and was looking for another alternative, ideally one that would yield quality results with a simple plug 'n play system and Garage Band.

Well, the Snowball gets 5 stars from me! I am VERY impressed, and it's such a cool, unusual desktop mic. It literally looks like a large snowball (about the size of a grapefruit), sitting on top of a sturdy chrome tripod stand with rubber feet. The mic easily swivels up/down and left/right for placement, depending upon your needs. Take a look:

There's a three-way switch on the back that allows you to toggle between unidirectional, unidirectional with a 10db cut (for loud vocalists Wink), and omnidirectional for recording an entire band at any volume with one mic. All three modes are excellent and I got plenty of juice for recording with my Pavan nylon-string classical guitar.

Check out this Snowball Test Track to hear a quick, first-take fingerstyle blues. I also recorded my arrangement of "America the Beautiful" and will post that later in the recording forum. Stay tuned.

Btw, no software or setup required. Just plugged it into my Mac and Garage Band recognized the device right away. Of course, it works for Windows, too. Highly recommended. All for now...

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool looking microphone - 1950's meets USB. Your recordings sound great. I would have guessed you were playing direct into your console.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
That's a cool looking microphone - 1950's meets USB. Your recordings sound great. I would have guessed you were playing direct into your console.

Larry,

Thanks! I'm pleased in that I haven't really done any experimenting on the EQ front - just some reverb. As far as recording acoustic guitar goes, I've always preferred a mic over directly in, because I've never been satisfied with the pickup systems on acoustics. While I have to admit they've gotten better over the years, I specifically ordered this cutaway Pavan minus any electronics for that very reason.

Btw, to give you more of a perspective on the size of this mic, here's another look at how the Snowball looks on the desk next to the machine that I've used for almost all of my Garage Band recordings during the past two years:

After years of using ProTools, MOTU, etc, and the customary "rat's nest" of cables, nowadays everything is done with just a single USB cable (LightSnake for electric and now the Snowball for acoustic). Even the keyboard and mouse are wireless. Pretty "Spartan," eh? Smile

-Mark
Don MacArthur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Mark.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Pretty "Spartan," eh? Smile

Yes, but it's all Greek to me. Where do you plug in your guitar when you're direct?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Yes, but it's all Greek to me. Where do you plug in your guitar when you're direct?

Larry,

The LightSnake (http://www.soundtech.com) is a guitar cable that features a standard 1/4 inch plug on one side and a USB on the other. About $40. You just plug it in and start recording. It's that simple. Of course, there are other fancier and more expensive USB interfaces, but you've heard my jazz and blues recordings and are well aware of the tone quality I'm getting with this setup. All for now...

- Mark
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,, one more thing I have to buy.
Bob Parsons

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Mic Reply with quote

Now that is cool. Thanks for sharing that! Especially cool because I just picked up a 30 yer old Yamaha fg375s that has killer tone...

bp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Larry_DC wrote:

Larry,

The LightSnake (http://www.soundtech.com) is a guitar cable that features a standard 1/4 inch plug on one side and a USB on the other. About $40. You just plug it in and start recording. It's that simple. Of course, there are other fancier and more expensive USB interfaces, but you've heard my jazz and blues recordings and are well aware of the tone quality I'm getting with this setup. All for now...

Mark,

I really like your approach; simple, clean and effective.

Do you have any latency issues with Lightsnake and Garageband?
How do you deal with latency?

-Kb

-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:

Kb,

All that counts is the end result. It's sort of like improvising in that regard, so the simpler the better for me, as long as it gets the job done.

I often hear about "latency" issues and delays with computer-based recording, but I've rarely experienced it with this setup. Every once in a while there will be an obvious delay when I plug in the LS/USB cable, but it's very rare. When it does happen I just unplug it and plug it back in and everything's cool. However, while recording the guitar sounds right on the money, and I'm typically monitoring through the computer output using either a full set of headphones or one-on/one-off. I have heard that latency will rear its head if the computer is sluggish or the processor isn't powerful enough. The machine shown in the photo is an older, pre-Intel chip iMac (G5). I also have one of the latest models, but still do the majority of my recordings on this one.

It's amusing what many people say about recording essentials, including how critical it is to have a high-end USB interface. I've got an M-Box (Digi) and a cheaper Fast Track USB (M-Audio), but the ones I've used for most of my recordings are totally low end, like the LightSnake and the Griffin iMic before that. If the others sounded superior to my ear, I'd be using them. Wink

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
kbgtr001 wrote:

Kb,

All that counts is the end result. It's sort of like improvising in that regard, so the simpler the better for me, as long as it gets the job done.

I often hear about "latency" issues and delays with computer-based recording, but I've rarely experienced it with this setup. Every once in a while there will be an obvious delay when I plug in the LS/USB cable, but it's very rare. When it does happen I just unplug it and plug it back in and everything's cool. However, while recording the guitar sounds right on the money, and I'm typically monitoring through the computer output using either a full set of headphones or one-on/one-off. I have heard that latency will rear its head if the computer is sluggish or the processor isn't powerful enough. The machine shown in the photo is an older, pre-Intel chip iMac (G5). I also have one of the latest models, but still do the majority of my recordings on this one.

Mark,

It's certainly cool that your Garageband/Lightsnake setup fall into place.
I'm asking because latency is simply a fact of life with recording audio to computer
software. In the end, if you're not hearing it ('feeling it' is more the case), then that's
what matters. I haven't used Garageband for this purpose yet, so I'm interested
to know if it's something you've come up against and, if so, how did you address it.

There are strategies for dealing with this latency business.

In my Pro Tools LE setup, which I use for many other applications, I
need to change the the H/W buffer preference to a lower setting; 64 or 128 samples (and sometimes 32 samples),
then restore it to 1024 samples for post recording to run plug-ins etc.

If I don't lower the the buffer setting, then there is a very noticeable
(unacceptable) delay in monitoring the instrument (or voice) from
the software while recording.

Different setups have different ways of dealing with it.

The 'Soundtech Pro Audio Forum' has some discussion about this issue;

http://forums.soundtech.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1066

About half way down the page; 'Bypassing Latency'

I too still use a pre-Intel chip iMac G5 in my project studio.
Great computer. I'm looking forward to trying out 'Snowball'
and the 'Lightsnake' here.

-Kb

-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
It's certainly cool that your Garageband/Lightsnake setup fall into place. I'm asking because latency simply a fact of life with recording audio to computer software. In the end, if you're not hearing it ('feeling it' is more the case), then that's what matters.

I too still use a pre-Intel chip iMac G5 in my project studio. Great computer. I'm looking forward to trying out 'Snowball' and the 'Lightsnake' here.

Kb,

Thanks for posting the latency info. I've read extensively about it, but again if it's not a discernable factor then it's like the old "If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound?" adage. Wink No question that if I detected the delay it would have some kind of adverse affect on my recording process, but that's simply not the case.

My only gripe about that generation of iMacs is their tendency to overheat, or at least the machine thinks it's getting hot and the fans crank up. It's something that Apple solved when they went to the Intel chip. However, worse case scenario is that after a couple of hours of use I often need to restart the machine if I wish to continue working sans fan noise, but they boot so lightning quick that within 30 seconds I'm good to go as if it never got hot in the first place. All for now...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
My only gripe about that generation of iMacs is their tendency to overheat, or at least the machine thinks it's getting hot and the fans crank up. It's something that Apple solved when they went to the Intel chip. However, worse case scenario is that after a couple of hours of use I often need to restart the machine if I wish to continue working sans fan noise, but they boot so lightning quick that within 30 seconds I'm good to go as if it never got hot in the first place.

Mark,

Here we have the reverse circumstance. On the infrequent 'occasion' I
get the fan crank up, it makes a rukus for a while, then calms down.

However, in the three or so years I've been running this computer, I rarely shut it down.
Mostly keep it in sleep mode when I'm away or doing other things.
I do backup at least several times a week, if not exactly every day.

I use the very inexpensive 'SuperDuper' for my routine daily/weekly
backup. The software is set to automatically do it's backup thing
at 11:30 p.m. each night. I have a couple of hard drives that I only use for backup.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

-Kb

-
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mics & Recording Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Hey Gear Heads,

Anyone ever try the "Snowball" USB mic from Blue Microphones? They claim that it's the first professional-quality USB mic on the market, and after reading enough 4-5 star reviews I decided to plunk down the $99 yesterday. I've been wanting to get back into some acoustic guitar recording and was looking for another alternative, ideally one that would yield quality results with a simple plug 'n play system and Garage Band.

kbgtr001 wrote:

Mark,

-Kb

Mark,

Beautiful fingerstyle blues example.

I am certainly in your camp with respect to mic recording for
guitar; acoustic or amped. Of course when micing a guitar
cabinet, recording 'direct' (no cabinet sound) on a separate track at the same
has the flexibility advantage for 'reamping' later or working with
an 'amp modeling' software in a DAW (computer rig).

More to our immediate point, pickup systems on acoustics
definitely have their 'personality', but for 'connivence' it still works for me.
I should probably setup a mic for my acoustic recording and just leave it plugged into
a channel on my Pro Tools interface.

At the moment, I'm using a BBE Acoustimax direct box that I leave plugged into
a Pro Tools channel. I keep the Acoustimax on the 'slide out computer keyboard shelf' on my
computer desk leave the guitar cable plugged in and available when I need it. Just
pull out the shelf and plugin the cable to the guitar.

Of course, the advantage of the Lightsnake and Snowball is the 'USB' portability if
you want to move quickly to other computers. Great for taking around to other Studios
and Venues. But, I only have one station here in my project studio,
and Pro Tools is my main rig, it so it's less of an immediate issue.

Here is a sample of a Newfoundland Folk Piece arrangement I'm working on;

kbgtr001 Newfoundland Folk Music Example

This 'direct recording approach' presents a 'close-up' audio image which I
like for the hybrid 'guitar/zither' type sound I want to achieve in this folk style.
There are 'artifacts' coming through that I really like.

I often like connecting 'visual images' to my music arrangements,
so here is a visual of the place in Newfoundland that is inspiring
my need to do these arrangements;

In doing this of style arranging, I've discovered that some five-string banjo
tunings seem to work really well on my Martin acoustic. It's possible to play
banjo parts directly on the guitar. The sixth string can work as extra 'drone
string.' Since 'folk styles' seem to be acceptable in the forum too, I will submit the results in another post.

-Kb
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: More "Snowball" Projects Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Beautiful fingerstyle blues example.

Here is a sample of a Newfoundland Folk Piece arrangement I'm working on

Kb,

Very nice, my friend. And thanks for the kind words on the fingerstyle blues track, as well as your thoughts on recording acoustic guitar. As I may have mentioned in another post somewhere, my first two good acoustics were Martin steel-strings (D35 and D18), but once I fell in love with the sound of the classical nylon-string, well... I haven't looked back since. Wink

My "museum-piece" handmade classical is a 1970 Paulino Bernabe (Madrid), but for contemporary work I am absolutely thrilled with the Pavan I bought from luthier Tom Prisloe about a year ago. Take a look:

Tom personally selects these handmade instruments from Spain during his visits overseas, and the amazing thing is that you get many of the amenities of a high-end guitar (like an ebony fingerboard) for less that a thousand dollars. It was his goal to find a quality instrument in that price range for players who simply don't have upwards of $5-6k to spend on a guitar. For instance, my Bernabe is worth twice that figure nowadays, but I bought it 37 years ago. In my book, Tom has succeeded magnificently, and I highly recommend these guitars (http://www.pavanguitars.com).

I used the Pavan with the new USB mic for both the fingerstyle blues and the "America the Beautiful" arrangement. I just uploaded two more tunes that I hope you and other forum members/readers enjoy:

First up, El Mar is a beautiful Spanish tune recorded by Benson and Klugh on the epic White Rabbit release (CTI) many moons ago. I used to perform it in a duo with classical guitar virtuoso Stevan Pasero. He was a big fan of Earl and I was heavily transcribing and studying GB at the time. This is a unique solo guitar arrangement that employs long bass slides and classical tremolo in my rubato rendition, plus a little percussive influence in the rhythm vamp chords after the head. Presently a "Snowball" work in progress. Wink

Danny Boy is a longtime favorite among many players, and I also decided to record my rubato arrangement of that tune the same night. I'll get around to posting these recordings in both the Recording and Arranging forums, because it's not just about the gear being used. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: