Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sept. 11th smoking ban in Pa.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to go back in time,but this is not how I wanted to do it.Hey corky ,sorry to hear about your gig being canceled...you would think people would want to see and hear something fun for a change.Hang in there,I will send a post-it to the great one for you.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a player who has a weekly gig here in town. Turnout has been dwindling since the economy nosedived. The gig hasn't been canceled, but his piece of the action is not what it used to be. mAybe we can talk the federalis into bailing out musicians.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
well wqe just had a nother gig canceled last night i'll be in line at the soup kitched soon

Gorecki wrote:
Well I wouldn't be shocked if some of this has as much to do with the recent economic slump as anything. I even just purchased gas for below $3.00 a gal. Shocked

Larry_DC wrote:
I was talking to a player who has a weekly gig here in town. Turnout has been dwindling since the economy nosedived.
The gig hasn't been canceled, but his piece of the action is not what it used to be. Maybe we can talk the federalis into bailing out musicians.

An interesting piece of history, thought you might like to see.

-Kb

Alan Greenspan (born March 6, 1926 in New York City) is an American economist
and was from 1987 to 2006 the Chairman of the Federal Reserve of the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_greenspan

quote (paraphrase):

"...He studied clarinet at The Juilliard School from 1943 to 1944 and is an accomplished
saxophone player who played with Stan Getz. While in college, he played in a jazz band
and joined the Henry Jerome swing band, touring the country and, incidentally,
doing the band members' taxes...."

see USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/fed/2003-07-15-greenspanrocks_x.htm

"...He then attended NYU
and received a B.S. in Economics (summa cum laude) in 1948 and an M.A. in Economics in 1950...."

from;
http://www.nfo.net/usa/j1.html

During 1945, when they were playing at Child's Paramount Restaurant in Times Square, New York City.
Bandmates included two saxophonists, Leonard Garment and Alan Greenspan, Al Haig on piano, and 'Tiny' Kahn,
who was the band's drummer. The band's arranger was a young Johnny Mandel.

-
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No smoking ban here yet but we've had a few gigs canceled on us. Also fewer people coming out at places that have always had a good built-in crowd. I guess pay cuts are next if you want to keep the gigs you got. Oh well...time to party like it's 1929.
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I live walking distance to the subway. When things get really bad I can play next to the escalators for donations.
corky4strings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i see what happens friday, i have a gig and the last time we were suppose to play there we where cancelled because of church picnics 3 with in 5 mile radious. maybe i shouyld start saving for a acoustic bass and start a street band. probably get arrested, or have to get a license so they could collect taxes or something.

let your fingers do the walking i do
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
maybe i shouyld start saving for a acoustic bass and start a street band. probably get arrested, or have to get a license so they could collect taxes or something.

Willy and the Poor-Boys Wink

-Kb

-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: