Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brad from VA checking in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Brad from VA checking in. Reply with quote

Hey there! Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm a long time blues/R&B/rock player from Richmond, VA and have gotten, big time, into jazz over the last 7 or so years. Some of my favorites are Grant Green, Hank Mobley, Kenny Burrell, Stanley Turrentine, Gene Harris, Charles Brown, Nat Cole, The 2 Charlie's (Parker & Christian), Billy Butler, Oscar & Johnny Moore....ok, I'll stop there.

I stopped serious gigging about 6 months ago and just enjoy a little home recording and the occasional pick-up gig when I have time. I'm still as obsessed with guitar as I was when I was 16 (36 now) and still pick it up everyday. Looking forward to getting my 1-on-1's going again with Mark and hanging out here and learning from you guys.

I'm fairly new to home recording but I have a few tunes here if you want to listen.

Regards,
Brad
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice, no, great tunes Brad! Damn glad to have you here! Thumbs Up!

Forums Admin VisionMusic.com
Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Brad from VA checking in. Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
Hey there! Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm fairly new to home recording but I have a few tunes here if you want to listen.

Brad,

Glad to see you over here, and I sincerely hope that the forum readers check out your tracks. You may be "fairly new" to recording, but your affinity for the blues (something we share) rings loud and clear in the way you play. No fluff. Every note counts. My kind of player!

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great playing, Brad. I think I heard a little bit of Bird in Jump the Gate?
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki, Mark and Larry - thanks guys. I do appreciate it in a big way and hope to hear you guys post some stuff too. I'd love to hear it. Of course I've already heard Mark and we all know he smokes!

Larry, Yep plenty of borrowed Bird licks in some of those tunes. Just wish I could play'em like he did!
Dave Illig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap man, THOSE TUNES ARE GREAT. Blues to the max. I really enjoyed them, great playing. Thanks for sharing,

Dave
SBassman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.

How did you do the drum tracks? A live player or something else?

Sounds really great.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks man. I do dig the blues in any shape or form.

SBassman, the 2 that are titled (jam tracks) were done as online collaborations with a few different guys across the country. "Fast swing blues" is a real rhythm section out of Boston. The tune "Scratch it" is a real bassplayer but synth drums. The rest are backing tracks I put together using BIAB midi files into tracktion software. All are sampled instruments except the guitar stuff. All the guitars were recorded direct (which I hate) but my only option for late night recording at my house. That is, without getting people p.o.'d at me Smile
thaydon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: jazz/blues in richmond Reply with quote

hey brad i am in richmond for the weekend, can you recommend some blues or jazz clubs or players to see?

thanks

thaydon

Todd
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thaydon, not much happening this weekend but you can check out these places....

BOGART'S -- 203 N. Lombardy St., 353-9280.
Bogart's backroom is the place I usually go for jazz. It looks like they have a couple of jazz funk/fusion bands there this weekend. You may or may not be into that.

CARY STREET CAFÉ -- 2631 W. Cary St., 353-7445. is a college jamband type scene if you're into that.

I'm not familiar with any of the bands playing at these places this weekend. Last week you could've caught Adrian Duke @ Bogart's. He's great! New Orleans funk meets Ray Charles.
MRDMV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some of the cleanest sounding internet blues tracks/ releases that I’ve ever heard. Each instrument is extremely well-recorded and background noise is nonexistent here. If I close my eyes you’d think you were playing right there in the room with me. I usually don’t comment on the recording process because today’s standards are very high to begin with, your site easily rises above those standards. You do good work.
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRDMV - Wow, thanks for the very kind words! The recordings are getting a little better the more I do it. I learn a little with each tune. I'm just not one who enjoys the technical, knob twisting side of things. I just want to push a button and go so it gets a bit frustrating. Thanks again for the listen.
masanfe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad

Very useful to know about the BIAB midi files web and the sw

I use garage band with Mac but your sound with Tracktion sw is very good.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> General Discussion, Chat & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: