Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latin, Latin Jazz - Baden Powell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Latin, Latin Jazz - Baden Powell Reply with quote

May be of interest to the forum;

Baden Powell, Brazilian guitarist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden_Powell_de_Aquino

Very cool right hand work on acoustic classical guitar.

solo and latin jazz ensemble work video clip;
Baden Powell and Trio - Saarbrucken 1970 pt. 1

solo guitar performance;
Baden Powell Solo Live in PARIS

-Kb
-
corky4strings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he reminds me of paco de lucia, al di meola and john mc laughlin on the friday night in san fransico. great album just the three of them playing acoustic guitar.

let your fingers do the walking i do
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky4strings wrote:
he reminds me of paco de lucia, al di meola and john mc laughlin on the friday night in san fransico. great album just the three of them playing acoustic guitar.

Nice clip of the Paco De Lucia, John Mclaughlin et Al Di Meola trio;
Mediterranean Sundance

I like the "laid back, up-close" feel of the Baden Powell performance.

-Kb

-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Brazilian Guitar Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:

Kb,

Me, too. Baden Powell, Bola Sete, Laurindo Almeida, Charlie Byrd and (of course) the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bonfa, and others were all major influences for me earlier in my career. As a matter of fact, you might get a kick out of this vintage flyer (80's) from my days in the San Francisco Bay Area:

Besides performing, I was at least doing some basic recordings of my latin arrangments. Here's a head rendition of Jobim's "Samba da Aviao" (Song of the Jet) from those days. Nothing too fancy but I hope you enjoy it. I'll see if I can dig up some others. All for now...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brazilian Guitar Reply with quote

Quote:
you might get a kick out of this vintage flyer (80's) from my days in the San Francisco Bay Area:

Besides performing, I was at least doing some basic recordings of my latin arrangments. Here's a head rendition of Jobim's
"Samba da Aviao" (Song of the Jet) from those days. Nothing too fancy but I hope you enjoy it. I'll see if I can dig up some others.

Mark,

Cool poster and nice groove with your Jobim. Perhaps though, you might have tried a light scarf rather than a tie for the photo ('Smile')

Of course, there are some Latin style related lessons around vision music;

Leo Brouwer "Simple Etude";
http://www.visionmusic.com/members/classical/simpletude.html

latin vamps;
http://www.visionmusic.com/lessons/latinvamps.html

more latin vamps;
http://www.visionmusic.com/members/lessons/morelatin.html

"Anticipation" (bossa);
http://www.visionmusic.com/members/songs/anticipation.html

latin bass;
http://www.visionmusic.com/members/lessons/latinbass.html

"Black Magic Woman" bass line;
http://www.visionmusic.com/members/lessons/blackmagic.html

Kenny Rankin, "Percussive Pop" (maybe a 3rd cousin, relatively speaking)
http://www.visionmusic.com/lessons/percussive.html

I have a of couple things I might like to post for constructive criticism
and further discussion about the style (and it's relatives).

-Kb
-
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Baden Powell Transcriptions Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
kbgtr001 wrote:

Kb,

Me, too. Baden Powell, Bola Sete, Laurindo Almeida, Charlie Byrd and (of course) the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bonfa, and others were all major influences for me earlier in my career.

I discovered a wonderful Baden Powell resource at the "friends of Brazil-On-Guitar" website.

A wealth of guitar transcriptions in standard notation and tab;

http://www.brazil-on-guitar.de/tabs.html

-Kb
-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brazilian Guitar Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
I have a of couple things I might like to post for constructive criticism and further discussion about the style (and it's relatives).

Kb,

Speaking of which, I do have some "constructive" thoughts to share with everyone regarding arranging in this genre:

Even with a solid understanding of latin rhythm (thanks for posting the site links Wink), every tune is its own challenge due to a melody that differs from one to another. The works of Jobim alone are a perfect example, and I've arranged at least twenty of this best-known and even somewhat obscure compositions for solo guitar. Like Meditation, Ipanema, How Insensitive, Jazz 'n Samba, Triste, Desafinado, Corcovado, One Note Samba, That Look You Wear, Someone to Light Up My Life, etc, etc.

The initial stage for me is to arrange the song in rubato ("free time") ballad fashion, which accomplishes two things. First you get familiar with the tune and how the melody lays out without concerning yourself with supplying rhythm, kept in the back of your mind and to be added later. Second is that these are wonderful tunes that make outstanding ballads, and can be performed with a great degree of personal artistic expression.

Once I have it basically arranged as a ballad, I practice it regularly and start exploring the addition of bass lines/fills and right-hand arpeggios, gradually "massaging" those moves in rhythm until it really starts to flow. Like I said earlier, each tune represents a different puzzle to be solved.

I can share many of my past recordings to illustrate what I'm describing, but check out this vintage (80's) recording of "Look to the Sky" by Jobim to hear how the rubato performance sets the stage for the same arrangement played in time. Hope you enjoy it. All for now...

- Mark
mel1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark:

Great arrangement and good sound. Was this a studio recording? If it is a home recording I need to get the 80's equipment you were using.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: More Brazilian Guitar Reply with quote

mel1 wrote:
Great arrangement and good sound. Was this a studio recording? If it is a home recording I need to get the 80's equipment you were using.

<LOL> A "studio recording?" Hardly, my friend. Thanks for the kind words, but my guitar recordings back then were done in the living room of our apartment in the lower Twin Peaks area of San Francisco. The guitar was my concert classical Paulino Bernabe (Madrid) recorded into a Sony open reel with a cheap mic. All first takes with no overdubs. There was so much interference from the Mt. Sutro radio tower that I used to wrap a 15 ft. microphone cable around my legs just to (hopefully) ground the hum. Some days it was so bad that I couldn't record at all.

Okay, two more latin recordings from that time period. This rendition of Jobim's epic "Desafinado" (aka "Slightly Out of Tune") was done in tempo, although I enjoy playing the same arrangement as a ballad. It's not technically flawless, but given the length of the piece it came out pretty well. On the other hand, this version of "The Shadow of Your Smile" is rubato all the way, although I played it in tempo on our "Tenderly" jazz duo (guitar/sax) CD, recorded back in the nineties.

Btw, like my late father I've written numerous original compositions in this genre. I was a late starter as a songwriter, but by the time I became inspired to compose (at 36-years-old) I had spent SO many years absorbing and arranging great music, so the melodies and chord progressions heavily influenced by my mentors just poured out of me in a very natural way.

A couple of years ago, jazz guitarist Robert Conti asked to use two of my originals for his latest "To The Brink" recording (available at his site), one bossa nova and one minor swing. This demo of "Anticipation" features saxophonist Rocco Barbato playing the head and soloing on the changes. I play it in Wes-style octaves in ensemble, but also as an acoustic solo guitar arrangement. As a composer, you really feel as though you've sort of "arrived" when fellow artists want to play and record what you've written Wink. Hope you enjoy the tracks!

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts Mark!

I too -- like Mel1 -- like the simple sound of a single microphone on a classical guitar. You have that "sul tasto" sound, which I usually get by aiming the mike, off axis, at the guitar's 12 th fret.

Nice playing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: