Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Important Is Reading Skill?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
found the pdf file here...

Brad,

Wow, I'm simply amazed that a collection like that (free or not) exists and hasn't been pulled by the HL Copyright Police! Or that the site that put it up there hasn't been legally threatened or shut down. I have to even wonder if Barry gave them permission to distribute his work, because outside of his name and the song titles, there's no mention of a publisher whatsoever. The material looks too good to be casually distributed with no apparent compensation for the arranger, composer, or license holder.

No matter who you are nowadays, print licensing for standards is almost impossible to obtain no matter how much you're willing to pay. Trust me, I know. Wink Or just ask Ed Benson, Just Jazz Guitar's publisher. Til next time...

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
found the pdf file here...

http://www.musiccentre.co.uk/acatalog/eBooks/free-guitar-chords/42_chord_melody_arrangements.pdf

What a collection - thanks Brad! Better download it quick before the fun police pull the plug.
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Wow, I'm simply amazed that a collection like that (free or not) exists and hasn't been pulled by the HL Copyright Police! Or that the site that put it up there hasn't been legally threatened or shut down. I have to even wonder if Barry gave them permission to distribute his work, because outside of his name and the song titles, there's no mention of a publisher whatsoever. The material looks too good to be casually distributed with no apparent compensation for the arranger, composer, or license holder.

Mark,

It seems that someone made a Finale transcription of the 'handwritten'
Barry Galbraith 'mimeo-ed' originals.

"...Andy Polon, a Barry Galbraith guitar student in the late 1970s, has posted
some Galbraith's handwritten arrangements for students @;

http://andypolon.com/BG/BGdefault.html ..."

I understand these are personal charts that he used in teaching.

-Kb
-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Mark I hadn't even thought about the copyright for the original composers of these tunes. Those arrangements have been floating around for so long and have been on the web for years. Originally as hand written charts that Barry had done for his students. Mel Bay took these same charts and printed 2 Vols of books w/cd's. I wonder how they did it?
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Mark wrote:
Wow, I'm simply amazed that a collection like that (free or not) exists and hasn't been pulled by the HL Copyright Police!

It seems that someone made a Finale transcription of the 'handwritten' Barry Galbraith 'mimeo-ed' originals.

I just noticed a 'Berklee Press - Boston Mass' reference at the bottom of the
handwritten pages.

-Kb
-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
You know Mark I hadn't even thought about the copyright for the original composers of these tunes. Those arrangements have been floating around for so long and have been on the web for years. Originally as hand written charts that Barry had done for his students. Mel Bay took these same charts and printed 2 Vols of books w/cd's. I wonder how they did it?

Brad,

One company (you guys know who I'm talking about - initials H.L.) owns the print licensing for 90% of everything on the market, and for years their crusade has been to totally eliminate legitimate arrangers by inviting them to apply for licenses and then categorically denying every application. The sad result is that the student only gets the choice of a typically marginal arranger in the company stable, who works for pennies so that the profit stays as high as possible. And the incentive for independent arrangers to share their work evaporates.

Perhaps licensing was secured on this collection, which would certainly have been the case with MB or Berklee. However, the PDF eBook version has no reference to legal copyright or publishing anywhere, so no one is getting compensated in making that available. However, given what I just shared and due to personal negative experiences, I only feel sorry for Barry and for the original composers, not for any company that perpetuates this kind of greedy monopoly. Sad

- Mark
Brad Kinder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I had no idea about HL...but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm not sure how this stayed under their radar since it took me about 15 seconds on google to find the link and it had to be 3+ years ago when I originally came across it. Probably just a matter of time.

Sheetmusicplus has the 2 (legit) Mel Bay vols for 20% off now. They have 13 tunes each and a nicely recorded cd with them. I've been wanting to pick these up for a while and it looks like nows the time.

http://wwws.sheetmusicplus.com/sheetmusic/detail/MB.99902BCD.html
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgtr001 said

Quote:
I just noticed a 'Berklee Press - Boston Mass' reference at the bottom of the
handwritten pages.

I think that may the printed logo on the manuscript paper.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Kinder wrote:
Sheetmusicplus has the 2 (legit) Mel Bay vols for 20% off now. They have 13 tunes each and a nicely recorded cd with them. I've been wanting to pick these up for a while and it looks like nows the time.

Brad,

That's good to hear, because no matter how accurately an arrangement is scored, it rarely represents the way the artist performs it unless there is a conscious educational effort to match the notated phrasing. Even then, is a vertical chord stack strummed? With a pick? Thumb? Or is it plucked fingerstyle? All are viable in personal interpretation, but it's nice to have the author play it the way it was artistically intended, and then make your own performance decisions accordingly.

In keeping on topic, this all gets back to the fact that written notation in any genre is interpretive at best. Even in classical literature the ear rules in the long run. Wink

- Mark
nylenny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD's are also great because you can play along with them and pick up lots of subtleties.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nylenny wrote:
The CD's are also great because you can play along with them and pick up lots of subtleties.

Len,

Agreed. Exactly the point I was making regarding involvement of the ear and not just depending on written notation. Til next time...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
No matter who you are nowadays, print licensing for standards is almost impossible to obtain no matter how much you're willing to pay. Trust me, I know. Wink Or just ask Ed Benson, Just Jazz Guitar's publisher.

...However, given what I just shared and due to personal negative experiences, I only feel sorry for Barry and for the original composers, not for any company that perpetuates this kind of greedy monopoly. Sad

Mark,

Have there been any anti-trust or other legal actions against H.L. over this,
or is that not even a consideration?

-Kb
-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Have there been any anti-trust or other legal actions against H.L. over this, or is that not even a consideration?

Kb,

They are within their rights because they are supposedly acting as agents representing the "interests" of composers via contracts, plus they have a full legal team of attorneys and are therefore in a position to withstand any challenge that lacks unification and serious revenue. Certainly no individual musician/artist in their right mind is going to risk their financial resources only to lose everything in court.

The problem I have with it is how deceptive and sneaky it is to blatantly invite arrangers and authors to apply for the print licenses if their actual intention is to turn them all down and monopolize the market, in essence driving them out of business. To me, it should be like mechanical licenses that are openly granted to any recording artist to record any piece of music they wish, as long as the composer receives their royalty. This isn't about fairness or the interests of the composers at all, nor does it have anything to do with elevating or promoting the quality of material. It's simply a way for one company to ensure that customers can only have access to what they decide should be available, even if it's garbage.

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: