Vision Music Forum Index Vision Music
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhythm Changes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

Hey Jazzers,

Okay, time for true confessions. Wink How many of you aspiring jazz guitarists and bassists are working out on this critically essential progression (like you should) every day? Just curious...

Btw, my good friend Wolf Marshall teaches alongside Kenny Burrell every week at UCLA. Being able to play and improvise on Rhythm Changes is the most important thing KB looks for in a true student of jazz. I couldn't agree more, so as you pick up your instrument to study and to jam each day, keep that in mind. Questions? Comments? Fire away!

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play them every day, but only as a speed exercise. I string 5 of Mark's model solos together and play them for about 10-15 minutes. I've been doing this for a few years and it has helped me move closer to my goal of playing comfortably at up tempo. Regrettably my improvising skill over the changes is nil because I have not taken the time to work on it.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
I play them every day, but only as a speed exercise. I string 5 of Mark's model solos together and play them for about 10-15 minutes. I've been doing this for a few years and it has helped me move closer to my goal of playing comfortably at up tempo. Regrettably my improvising skill over the changes is nil because I have not taken the time to work on it.

Larry,

Bravo! At least you are going through the progression on a regular basis. Not only is that essential due to the important role of Rhythm Changes, but it also serves to constantly reinforce the AABA, 32-bar structure that is so critical to improvising through a wealth of standards. Btw, I've heard your work enough to know that your chops are up to the task. Wink I'd aim at the 200 to 250 bpm tempo range, which is probably what you're doing. Have you considered arranging a model solo or two to help your effort? I assume that you're going though some RC heads, too?

If anyone reading this is unfamiliar with Rhythm Changes, this is the place to ask. All for now...

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I haven't written a solo yet for rhythm changes. I suppose it's benign neglect since I'm concentrating on lessons and transcribing. That's something I should squeeze in when Ithink about it.
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Now that you mention it, I haven't written a solo yet for rhythm changes. I suppose it's benign neglect since I'm concentrating on lessons and transcribing. That's something I should squeeze in when Ithink about it.

Larry,

I did an entire series entitled "Adventures In Changes" for Jazz Improv magazine a few years ago. It broke down the A and B sections of RC into digestible ideas that could be mixed and matched, so you could even opt to do a little "dry improv" and experiment section by section, bar by bar until a solo chorus or an original composition starts to develop.

Btw and on a related note, I just posted a Wes-inspired thumb solo for Rhythm Changes in another part of the forum:

http://www.visionmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2086#2086

Anyway, yes you should find time for yet another arranging project that will benefit your growth as a jazz improviser. I think you'd be amazed at what can be accomplished in just 10-15 minutes per day. Wink

- Mark
Larry_DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Btw and on a related note, I just posted a Wes-inspired thumb solo for Rhythm Changes in another part of the forum:

http://www.visionmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2086#2086

Nice-especially the bridge!
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry_DC wrote:
Nice-especially the bridge!

Larry,

Thanks, man. I had already done a lot of isolating moves/concepts for the bridge when I was in the midst of the article series. Adapting those ideas for thumb use was one more hurdle to get over. I'm still experimenting, but that's a never-ending process. Wink

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
How many of you aspiring jazz guitarists and bassists are working out on this critically essential progression (like you should) every day? Just curious...

Mark,

I'm working through 'Rhythm Changes' on regular basis, if
not every day, certainly a couple or few times over the week.

For the moment, I use the Herb Ellis 'Rhythm Shapes' as a main reference;

alternating between the chord progression (which I prefer to do finger-style as
block chords or in different finger-picking patterns), one of the Ellis
suggested solo's, and the head; Gershwins 'I Got Rhythm.'

In My finger-style approach, I work with a thumb pick of my own invention;
A 'hybrid pick' made from 'Pro Plec' coupled with a 'filed-off' Fred Kelly thin gauge 'Slick Pick.'
Now I have a "Pro Plec thumb pick." I don't really "feel the mass" of the Pro Plec and it's very snug and
comfortable with Slick Pick holding the Pro Plec in place. I can use the Pro Plec controlled with the
thumb and have fingers available for plucking chord voices. This works very well for the using all thumb
downstrokes with the Pro Plec too. A simple change in right hand position and the Pro Plec is available for
a more standard use.

I like the 'jazzy' tone I'm getting with this pick invention and my Taylor NS34ce nylon string.

Most often, I play through the progression and solos at a 'painfully' slow tempo;
2 quarter beats per chord, then to straight eights on the solo lines, back to
the head, return to chord pattern etc. and keep cycling through.

There have been some good 'Rhythm Changes' articles in 'Just Jazz Guitar' magazine.
I have an especially nice one by Adrian Ingram from the May '95 issue in which
he uses 'shell voicing' (aka short chords) through the progression. I like to alternate between
the short chords and Herb Ellis style mostly four voice chords on different cycles.

I'm interested to work up a short 'rubato' intro in the style of your 'Muscle Up' guitar intro
article. Also to incorporate other solo chorus' into my routine;

i.e 'Flintstones' solo from the MGS page,
transcriptions I can take, 'No time To Think' and 'On Second Thought' articles from VM, etc...

-Kb

-

Last edited by kbgtr001 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
thaydon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark;
Yes, I play rhythm changes everyday, mostly because I really like all those tunes- recently I have been transcribing Miles solo on Oleo and hear that it is typical to start on the 9th of the chord and play a descending line etc. With Miles, I like fewer notes, more space. I also mix up keys by playing "Scrapple" and then the bridge.

Todd
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

Kb wrote:
I'm working through 'Rhythm Changes' on regular basis, if not every day, certainly a couple or few times over the week.

Kb,

That's great to hear, man. Really makes my day to know that someone "gets it" on the importance of this essential progression. Any specific thoughts that you've gleaned on handling the "A" section changes vs the "B" section? Time permitting I'll see if I can get some notation clipped and posted from my previous "Adventures In Changes" series that ran for a year in Jazz Improv.

Todd wrote:
Yes, I play rhythm changes everyday, mostly because I really like all those tunes- recently I have been transcribing Miles solo on Oleo and hear that it is typical to start on the 9th of the chord and play a descending line etc. With Miles, I like fewer notes, more space. I also mix up keys by playing "Scrapple" and then the bridge.

Excellent! It's really important to tackle a progression that is so critical to playing jazz, and to do it on a regular basis until you can command it, no matter how long it takes. Keep up the good work...

- Mark
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't received that lesson yet ? Laughing
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

Martin Taylor offers a nice discussion on building a finger-style guitar arrangement for 'I Got Rhythm.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxQnNVGQAQ

Melody on top, coupled with bass line to walking bass line,
then add chord punches.

-Kb
-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Martin Taylor offers a nice discussion on building a finger-style guitar arrangement for 'I Got Rhythm.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxQnNVGQAQ

Melody on top, coupled with bass line to walking bass line, then add chord punches.

Kb,

Thanks for the link. Being a longtime fan of Martin Taylor, I'm always interested in how he approaches an arrangement. The Gershwin original melody is a perfect candidate for a fingerstyle guitar w/walking bass rendition, because of the sustained melody.

Speaking of RC heads with sustained melodies, my jazz version of "The Flintstones" features Wes-style, thumb-brushed octaves for the head. However, when I was working on the project I also knocked out a block chord arrangement for jazz guitar, plus a third fingerstyle version on acoustic guitar with a walking bass line along with melody and chords in the "A" section, then more of a two-beat feel for a change of pace throughout the "B" (bridge) section.

I have yet to score and record it on guitar, but to hear a midi guitar preview with simple brushes added, click here. Just a work in progress that I'll get back to eventually, but you'll get the general idea. Til next time...

- Mark
kbgtr001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Kb,

Thanks for the link. Being a longtime fan of Martin Taylor, I'm always interested in how he approaches an arrangement. The Gershwin original melody is a perfect candidate for a fingerstyle guitar w/walking bass rendition, because of the sustained melody.

Mark,

Very cool... Thanks for the 'Flintstones Head' preview track; I'm very interested to hear it realized on the acoustic guitar.

-Kb
-
Mark
VM Coach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rhythm Changes? Reply with quote

kbgtr001 wrote:
Very cool... Thanks for the 'Flintstones Head' preview track; I'm very interested to hear it realized on the acoustic guitar.

Kb,

Me, too. Wink All in good time. I just love to arrange anything on guitar, regardless of the genre or intended context. There's nothing better than using the music itself to inspire and dictate personal creativity. Right now I'm bouncing between four projects. Given the time of year, two holiday arrangements for "Let It Snow" and "Jingle Bell Rock" for solo fingerstyle guitar, one of my all-time favorite country/pop ballads in "How Do I Live Without You" by Leanne Rimes that I'm transcribing directly from her vocal and adapting for our instrument, and finally a revision of my walking bass with chord accompaniment arrangement for "Giant Steps" by Coltrane. Pretty eclectic mix, eh? Laughing Glad you enjoyed the preview. All for now...

- Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vision Music Forum Index -> Guitar: Blues, Jazz & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: